2 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2012 9:01 PM by glen_w RSS

Build a Better Bridge, or Build a Bridge Better?

mdconley57 Master
Currently Being Moderated

We're currently running an incentivized discussion on designing the classroom of tomorrow, and the video below (from Intel K12 Education) shows us how rapidly we could be approaching a "tomorrow" that very recently may have seemed far away. After you check out the video, we're curious about the following:

• What's your biggest "aha!"? What's your biggest question?
  • How would you use the technology depicted for instruction and assessment?
  • How closeta (or far) are the classrooms in your school to realizing the vision this video depicts? What would you need to get there?

Click the button in the bottom right corner of the player to view this full screen.

• Re: Build a Better Bridge, or Build a Bridge Better?
    staceylazarus Master
    • What's your biggest "aha!"? What's your biggest question?

Plenty. Seeing how the teacher and students really used the technology to improve upon a lesson was great. Loved how the iPad, student laptops and main screen were integrated. The interaction with the engineer and other classes is a good way to instill collaboration and critical thinking.

How long does it take for a District to see the need for this type of classroom? How long did it take the teacher to convert lessons from non-digital to digital?

• How would you use the technology depicted for instruction and assessment?

Having the students complete their assessments on individual equipment with an ongoing score is important. It gives immediate feedback to the students on how well they are doing. The video conferencing during the bridge trials is a healthy competition.

• How close to (or far) are the classrooms in your school to realizing the vision this video depicts? What would you need to get there?

Prior to getting equipment, teachers need to see what can be done, get initially trained in its use, and be able to develop several lessons prior to being placed in front of students. Here is where we fall behind many countries. Few schools have common planning time and professional development geared towards using technology. With Common Core, APPR, and SLO (Student Learning Objectives), there is little time for expanding the tools used to deliver instruction. What is needed? Proof that technology is an important tool to vary instruction and get participation among students. It also saves time for the teacher once certain methods are learned. I try to convince my staff that if they give me one half hour, I can save them 5 hours of work. With the current obligations being placed on classroom teachers, few are willing to give me even that little time.

The video is wonderful. Seeing such an organized teacher giving individual instruction and feedback monitoring students work was refreshing. The integration of all of the digital tools gave everyone the freedom to work at their own speed and level. The interactive lesson not only with an engineer, but simulations and interacting with other classes added richness to the lesson. We just recently built a 3D printer and now I see a wonderful use for it. It was a nice touch to have a girl highlighted in the video.

• Re: Build a Better Bridge, or Build a Bridge Better?
    glen_w Master

Like Stacey, I am amazed at this classroom!

I would enjoy have a "touch screen wall" and individual student devices. I also would need a 3D printer.

My aha about the video is the amount of space in the classroom even with all the technology. My classroom is much more crowded than this one. (Of course, I often have 40-42 students ina class.)

I appreciate the use of technology to develop lesson ideas, student work, and for assessment. I can envision such activities in my classroom and would love to be a part of this.

My district and school have a lot of decisions to make regarding what they will allow in the classroom. We have a tight filter and strict guidelines on what is allowed. I, however, would love to set the district example by being the "model teacher" for these technolgies in my school .

One concern I see for my state is the need to adopt Next Gen Science Standards. Without such standards, I fear we will not move forward with the "E" in STEM. Engineering needs to be a part of the science core for all grade levels (IMHO.)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...