5 Replies Latest reply: May 6, 2011 10:36 AM by julesfischy RSS

Webinar: X Marks the Spot:  Finding the Intersection of 21st Century and Science Process Skills

julesfischy Master
Currently Being Moderated

This webinar shared how to support the development of 21st century and science process skills in the same science activities!  Vikki Costa, Director of Science Education at California State University Fullerton, took participants through a number of exemplary unit plans that emphasize the use of digital resources to support teaching and learning science at the K-12 levels!  She also shared additional resources for supporting students in 1-to-1 (or 1 per group) laptop settings.

Science process skills are  the most powerful tools we have for producing and arranging information about our world.  A successful 21st century person must be adept at managing information – finding, evaluating, and applying new content understanding with great flexibility.  So the intersection of 21st century skills with science is a perfect combination!

Read more about Vikki at http://calstate.fullerton.edu/inside/2011sp/Lifelong-Passion-for-Teaching.asp.

View Recording -

View Presentation Materials

• Re: Webinar: X Marks the Spot:  Finding the Intersection of 21st Century and Science Process Skills
    azneil Master

Julia, just signed up for this one.  With the STEM emphasis, this is truly a "must see".

Neil

• Re: Webinar: X Marks the Spot:  Finding the Intersection of 21st Century and Science Process Skills
    glen_w Master

I am excited for this STEM webinar. My calendar, however, was booked weeks ago for that day. I look forward to the recorded webinar. My philosophy for this has to be "Better Late Than Never."

I have a huge love for Science Processes. I know science teachers emphasize the need for students to do these skills. I am concerned where these processes and skills will end up in the ever expanding "Standardized Test" world of education. I agree these skills fit closely with 21st Century Skills we want our students to have.

How can we promote this webinar so teachers of other disciplines will want to participate? I personally think Science Processes can benefit all students (in any subject.)

julesfischy Master

Glen – I think that promoting webinars to teachers is all about the personal suggestion.  Many times- when I see a webinar –whether  it is here in the community or another location I think about what I might get out of it and then suggest it to others because it might be relevant to what they are doing.

In this webinars description – Vikki shares “science process skills are the most power tools we have for producing and arranging information about our world. A successful 21st century person must be adept at managing information – finding, evaluating, and applying new content understanding with great flexibility.  So the intersection of 21st century skills with science is a perfect combination!”

I would share this with an English teacher-and include a note that this might provide some insight or a different way to think of approaching research papers with their students.

Although I do think as a science teacher-  it is refreshing to hear how others are teaching and working with the science process skills in their classroom and I may get an idea- that will help my students because I learn or think about a new way to use a skill with them.

I am really looking forward to this webinar and the discussions that come out of it.

julesfischy Master

Just where is X anyways?

Take a look at the matrix that Dr. Costa started.  As she stated online and in the webinar it is not finalized. What relationships do you see?  What relationships are missing?

Share your thoughts and continue the discussion on her presentation.