Image adapted from Stuart Miles - http://www.freedigitalphotos.net/
According to The Occupational Outlook Handbook, “technology occupations are projected to grow 12 percent from 2014 to 2024. These occupations are partly due to an emphasis on cloud computing, collecting and storing big data, mobile computing, and the “Internet of things. Merriam Webster Dictionary defines “Internet of things” as a proposed development of the Internet, in which everyday objects have network connectivity, allowing them to send and receive data.
Innovation as defined by The Merriam-Webster Dictionary is using or introducing new ideas or methods or having new ideas about how something can be done. So how can we create a culture of innovation that change how we work, think, learn and play; one that creates an innovative tomorrow? The answer is by setting SMART goals and designing the right career plan.
This month’s challenge will explore technology careers and how the right plan can guide you to a culture of innovation. Click on the images below to visit the website for the resources provided. Explore the resources and complete the task as outlined below.
Overview: Career aptitude test to determine jobs best suited for skills and interests.
- Skills: What are your strengths and weaknesses?
- Interests: What activities and subjects you find interesting?
- Style: What work environments do you prefer?
- Values: What values are important in an ideal career?
Overview: Career information on education, pay, training, and outlook for occupations.
- Browse occupations and resources
- Data tools
- Economic releases
- Student resources
Overview: Career advice from real life professionals
- Trending career topics
- Search engine
- Database of career professionals
Overview: Career advice and information to guide career decisions.
- Personal Finance
Benefits of Planning for Careers in Technology
1. More likely to find employment after graduation
2. Higher Salaries
3. More job prospects
4. Fast Growing Industry
5. Variety of Industries from which to choose
1. Complete aptitude test to determine jobs students are best suited for and research top three
2. Interview professional current working in the technology field to learn the path taken to reach career goals
3. Create a career plan including education and skills needed, pay, location, etc. for a selected career
4. Research facts about jobs in computer science, programming and other STEM careers
5. Match students with career professionals to shadow during the work day
How can you plan for an innovative career? Use a career interest inventory to inform career planning! Use code to design bridges, reach out to global partners, compete through games, collaborate to grow academically, etc. You can start by completing this month’s challenge.
1. Bookmark this challenge and share it with 3 of your colleagues.
3. Click on the Outlook Handbook, select the student tab and play the states game to learn about unemployment rates in the US. Which state would be a good choice to live according to the rate of employment?
4. Challenge a friend to beat your score for the state game.
5. Visit Career village to read responses to career questions or ask a question about a profession that may interest you? Share your thoughts on the responses from the professionals