Earth Day began in America on April 22, 1970 to promote environmental awareness and celebrate the Earth. It is a reminder that our actions directly affect the planet we live on. It has expanded to becoming a year-round global campaign to protect and conserve the Earth and its resources.
According to globalcitizen.org, “A healthy planet takes care of its people. Healthy people take care of the planet. Protecting the earth promotes the people who live on it. Improving the environment gives people the opportunity to survive and thrive while living in a cleaner world.” This month’s challenge will explore Global Citizenship.
Test your knowledge of the earth and the environment.
Explore how the city's residents recycle, reduce, and reuse waste.
Send eCards to increase environmental awareness and what kids can do to make a difference.
Learn interesting facts about Earth Day.
Learn how aspects of your life affect climate change.
How Green are You? Are you part of the solution or the problem?
Benefits of Working to Create a Safer Environment
1. Creating healthier changes to save the environment creates a healthier you
2. Saving energy can save money on monthly bill
3. Energy savings impacts the earth by removing elements that have harmed the world
4. Protecting trees helps us to breather cleaner air and save other plants and animals they shelter
5. Energy efficiency benefits the economy, the environment, national security and quality of life
There are things that you can do to protect the planet. Let’s begin the challenge by doing the following:
1. Bookmark this challenge and share it with three of your colleagues.
2. Click the World History Project link to assess your knowledge of the environment, Earth Day and the Eco-Friendly efforts it encourages? Share your quiz rank.
3. Think about the affects of our abuse on the earth. What environmental issues are of most concern to you? Create and send an environmental report card to a colleague.
4. Read 50 ways to protect the planet. Consider what you are doing at home or school to create a safer environment? Share one strategy that you are implementing.