The LiC: Concept Mapping Tool can help your students create graphic organizers to help visualize their learning across academic subjects. Concept mapping is particularly useful in diagramming scientific ideas. In this lesson, students will learn about the rock cycle and create their own visual representation with the Concept Mapping Tool.
In this lesson, students will:
- Review the three main types of rocks by exploring an interactive Internet resource
- Create a concept map diagramming the rock cycle
- LiC: Concept Mapping Tool
- Samples of igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rocks
- Rock Cycle Interactive on Annenberg Learner website
- Show students an igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic rock. Lead a brief discussion to assess prior knowledge about the following topics:
- Characteristics of different rocks
- How rocks are formed
- How rocks change from one form to another
- Ask students to navigate on their devices to the Annenberg Learner website about rocks.
- Read together through the basic information on the different types of rocks.
- Tell students to explore the interactive features in pairs. Ask them to watch all the short animations.
- When students feel comfortable with the content, ask them to create their own representations of the rock cycle with the LiC: Concept Mapping Tool. If students are unfamiliar with the app, they may need a short tutorial on its basic functions. Encourage students to include key vocabulary and be creative in their diagrams. Working individually or in pairs to create their own representations will let students interact more with the content and the app.
- Reserve time at the end of the lesson to share final concept maps. Students can print a hardcopy or save an image to their photo gallery.
- Listen to student discussion comments
- Observe students interacting with the website and building their concept map
- Ask students to share a digital copy of their final product with you
This lesson is designed to address the Next Generation Science Standard for middle school, MS-ESS2-1.
Diagramming the rock cycle is just one concept that can be explained with LiC: Concept Mapping Tool. Extend the idea of creating visual representations to other scientific concepts.
In this lesson, students will learn about the rock cycle and create their own visual representation with the LiC: Concept Mapping Tool