One of my favorite ways to get students up and moving with mobile devices is to use them with ice breakers or as lesson activity hooks - especially if it involves student grins and giggles as I believe we all build a stronger community when we share giggle experiences. Here are some of my favorite ideas you can take and use with your professional development workshops or with student lessons.
#1 Funny Faces
Best Photo Prompts for Funny Faces
- Make a Fish Face
- The face a student makes when the "lightbulb moment" happens
- The face you have when a mouse, spider, or snake comes into the classroom
- The face a student has when she knows she aced the test
- Show what engagement looks like in a child
Classroom Connections for Funny Faces
- Language Arts -Photo Essays, Poetry Visuals, Character reactions to scenes in a story, Descriptive Writing
- Social Studies - Reenact a scene from history (i.e. President Lincoln’s decision to go to war, immigration, innovation of new technology for the Industrial Revolution)
Science, Music, Math, Art - Reflection of a process - What were you thinking during milestones of production or experiments?
Best Tableau Ideas for the Classroom
- Social Studies - Recreate a scene from a painting or historical photo. Small groups are given different newspaper reports of the same incident (or differing accounts of an historical event) and asked to produce as accurate a tableau as possible. This can be used to examine how events may be communicated differently according to the observer’s point of view.
- Language Arts - Create a Photo “Comic Book” with Scenes from a piece of literature. Awesome reviewing activity!
- Science/Health - Visuals to demonstrate a process such as how the blood travels through the heart, photosynthesis, chemical bondings
- Drama/Art/Music - Photo Essays