15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2014 11:11 AM by DrJavedAkhtar

What are the benefits of an online community?

What are the benefits of an online community?

• Re: What are the benefits of an online community?

We cover a large area that we provide staff development for and we had 4 satellite offices in different geographic areas and our policy board has made the decision to close our satellites and set up virtual access to certain aspects so we will see how that goes. It is just at the beginning stages and we are looking to use Elluminate, Moodle, Skype and some other online resources to provide some of the things we provided at the sites. As the budgets get cut and people can't afford to travel it will be interesting to see how districts deal with much of the online professional development and granting of inservice credit. Some of our districts don't have a system to recognize the online environment.

One great benefit of participation in an online community is being able to connect with like-minded people. It has been empowering for me to be able to communicate with people in other National Writing Project sites across the country, especially since I was the only one in my district who had been through a summer institute. As I implemented writing process in my classroom, I had access to encouragment and mentoring through our list-serve (and now a Ning site) that would not have been there otherwise. This same benefit will be important for Intel Teach participants, as many times only one or two teachers in a school become really excited about integrating technology. These people can have the encouragement and help they need in an online community of other Intel participants and trainers.

Online communities can have a major impact on time usage, information dissemination, collaboration and teamwork capabilities. Groups can share and discuss topics and information easily at their leisure. The community provides an easily accessible portal for information and documents. The key element into making an online community work is communication and commitment on the part of ALL community members to keep the community alive. A community will certainly become stagnant and quickly out of date if it is not fed by the members. My favorite benefit from the online communities that I belong to is the ability to collaborate and learn from like minded people. Whether we are all scrapbookers, weight watchers or Intel ITAs, MTs, STs or PTs we have a lot to share and to learn from one another.

I thave taken advantage of the time usage benefit you mentioned above.  I don't have time during the work day to explore this community.  I have it marked on my calendar as an event with an automatic e-mai reminder sent to me.  This weekend has been cold in AZ (I know, it's hard to believe and yes, cold in AZ isn't the same cold as Frost Bite Falls, Minnesota).  I have spent over six hours exploring the Intel Affiliate and SI discussions.  These discussions sent me to other websites outside of this community where I either read more about a discussion topic or learned a new skill.

The other great benefit: I was able to get the laundry done at the same time.

zienabsayedahmedmostafa@gmail.com

Online communities make me up to date be in touch with others who have the same interests .Online communities supply me withe the resources I need . Online communities give me the opportunity to practice and know new things. tonnes of thanks to you

Online communitiesrepresent a great opportunity. When you join an online community you get the chance to convert relationships with other community members into revenues. Joining an online community can be proved fruitful if you know how to go about it and also if you know the right way to engage other members.

Not only will an online community increase your sales it can also save you a lot of money when it comes to advertising. Next to blogging, joining an online community is one of the less expensive ways of getting the word out about your business. The success ofyour online business centers on its capability to produce a well-built community with its customers / prospects.

In my experience the benefit of online community for me is that I gain knowledge from other online community members that you gain knowledge (useful) from other members of the online community you will join. Of course we are not “all-knowing” however we can learn some useful things from other people.

That is why you need to take advantage of the knowledge of other people who are members of your online community and put their principles into practice, whenever it is appropriate.

Round the clock availability of like minded persons & experts from all over the world, they are ready to help one-another without any expectation and free of cost.