8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2014 3:09 PM by zienabsayedahmedmostafa@gmail.com

What would you do........

Question?Answer
      What would you do if you were in the middle of a training and your entire network went downCall Tech Support
        • Re: What would you do........

This has happened here in Southern Arizona during the monsoon/lightning season - July through September!  During one Thinking with Technology course I was teaching, this happened everyday at about 1:00.  I wasn't prepared the first day, but on the second day, I had in hand printed resources such as screen shots of the tools and printed copies of the online units like 'River City', articles on project-based learning, and asked the participants to have a hardcopy of their unit plans at the ready just in case.  We worked on unit plan development in pairs, covered instruction on using the tools, and extended our understanding of PBL.

I now keep these copies in my facilitator's manual at all times just in case!

holmesg

Technology is so unpredictable.  I always go into a training with plan B.  There are enough resources available in the INTEL manual to have an engaging offline lesson; especially the pedagogy materials.  We must also discuss with teachers the importance of having a plan B just in case the technology is not functioning properly when preparing to use online tools in the classroom.  One thing that I have done is created flash cards of the items I use in the ranking tools activity.  In the event the computers are not cooperating, I use the flash cards . . . the show must go on!

Cool ideas--printouts & flashcards! The only time something like this has ever happened to me wasn't the computer network crashing, it was the water system. Some major water main for half the Dallas area broke (I think they said it was a 72" inch pipe--supplied water to 3 counties). We actually had to meet outside for awhile because they closed down all of the buildings--bathrooms no longer operational, same with the AC. We re-arranged the agenda in anticipation that sometime during the week water would be restored. Until that time we focused a lot more on the pedagogy of unit development and engaged in they discussions that were appropriate. By the next afternoon things were pretty much back up and running and we could re-focus on the more tech-specific aspects of the modules. Some printouts sure would've been handy, though!

holmesg

The benefit from this kind of problem is the participants can see the importance of having a backup plan; especially when working with students.  Technology is wonderful when it works, but when we least expect, it will go down.  I always have on hand off line activities in such cases.

Gail you are so right.  This is an important lesson and best see in action.  So many of our teachers and inexperienced MIs are frighten to use the technology in their classroom, because of what might go wrong.  If we have a Plan B, we teach them to have a Plan B.  If we are calm and collected, we teach them to be calm and collected.  As SIs, we are setting the example by which the MIs they will emulate (or so we hope).

dgoodman_1958

I think planning is essential in all that we do, and especially true when using technology.  As others have said, having plan B and sometimes plan C are necessary to keep things going as smooth as possible.  I usually have a couple activities planned, based on things from previous trainings that participants struggled with.  Understanding Essential Questions is always an area that could use a little extra time.  I have two activities I keep in my "backpack of ideas" to do if time permits or unscheduled time evolves.  One was done at our ST Intel Summit meeting using pictures to create EQs and another I have done is placing participant's EQs on chart paper around the room.  We go around and place questions or ideas that come to mind when reading their EQs. Participants have said this activity helped them to identify things that were unclear and gave them ideas to create better EQs.

sshott

I think this has happened to most of us over the years!!  After calling tech.......Great time to discuss "What would you do when the technology goes down if you are in a lab with your students" - or it is a great time to share more ideas, thoughts, etc on the participants unit plans.  I have also done all the "pedagogical practices' all at one time. And, we have also dismissed class early (of course with the assumption we will make up the time)

zienabsayedahmedmostafa@gmail.com

Always spoke of these things here and Always I have a plan B like  preparing  offline pages or Power Point presentations mimic the site and how to enter and deal with the situation quickly