7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2009 11:20 AM by catlihei

Great Reads - Nonfiction

Read any fascinating or helpful nonfiction books lately? Sometimes, escaping from reality involves a good dose of some new reality! Post a recommendation or review of some stellar nonfiction reading you've come across lately.

• Re: Great Reads - Nonfiction
          lsrdhunter@msn.com

Izzy and Lenore: Two Dogs, an Unexpected Journey, and Me by Jon Katz is a wonderful book about a man and his two dogs.  Izzy was an abandoned three year old border collie who came to live with Jon Katz.  Through their relationship Izzy develops a deep sensitivity and tenderness toward people who are troubled, ailing or ill.  Both Jon and Izzy volunteered to work with the Hospice Program and the book highlights several of their comforting encounters with dying individuals.  Lenore, a black velvet lab, seems to have a gift for brightening up the day and making people smile.  Lenore also becomes involved in the Hospice Program.  I would recommend this book to everyone.  It's easy reading that lifts the spirit. For additional information visit http://www.bedlamfarm.com  I have a black lab and can't imagine living without him in my life.  

lsrdhunter@msn.com

Marley and Me: Life and Love with the World’s Worst Dog written by John Grogan is an unforgettable story about the trials, tribulations and lifelong commitment of owning a dog. John and Jenny are a newly wed couple looking for some fresh challenges in life. They were deeply in love, living in a beautifully remodeled bungalow, with great careers, and not a care in the world until they brought Marley home. Little did they know that their lives would never be the same again. John Grogan uses Marley's story as an avenue for sharing his insight into experiences many people in their 20’s, 30’s and 40’s share. The book covers the ups and downs of trying to start a family, home ownership and career challenges and oh yes… lots of puppy stories.

Whether you have experienced the joy of raising a puppy or not this book is guaranteed to have you laughing and at times shedding a tear or two. I have a 78 pound 10 month old black lab. He is a powerhouse of energy. There are moments when he is so smart and other times when is he so very challenged but I would not trade him for anything in this world.

This book has been made into a movie which will be released next week. I wonder how close the movie will be to the accounts in the book. I plan to see the movie and hope I won’t be disappointed.

sshott

Loved the book - it reminded me of my yellow lab mix I had for 16 years - who licked a hole through our kitchen wall almost into the attached townhouse's kitchen - you get the idea.......

Had my husband read it - he doesn't read - but he actually finished this book - and loved it.

Even better - my 13 year old son just finished it and did a book report on it.

I won't go see the movie - I never see movies of books I really enjoy - they just ruin my vision.......

glen_w

Current Nonfiction book I'm reading is "The Story of Science, Book One: Aristotle Leads the Way".

Synopsis Review:Not too long ago, in earth time, no one thought the universe had a history. The scientific and religious experts believed that the world had been created as it is today and that nothing had changed. Those experts did their best but they were wrong--really wrong. The Story of Science: Aristotle Leads the Way tells the amazing but true story of the quest to answer an important question: What is this universe of ours all about? From the lost city of Alexandria with its gigantic lighthouse and steam-powered vehicles, to faraway lands where Hindu and Arab mathematicians invented the number zero, Hakim invites readers of all ages to meet the forefathers of modern science and experience their greatest discoveries in astronomy, math, and physics. Along the way, readers learn the answers to questions like:

What can a baboon bone tell us about calendars?

Why can't we feel the earth moving?

How did math contribute to Archimedes' death?

A science book unlike any other, Aristotle Leads the Way pairs a gripping narrative style with quirky sidebars; hundreds of charts, maps, and diagrams; experiments to do at home; suggestions for further reading; and excerpts from the writings of great scientists.

This is the first of three "The Story of Science"books and I've got the other two on the shelf waiting for me to get to them soon.

• Two Books I Enjoyed

For the last year or so I’ve really been enjoying listening to audiobooks. A couple of books I’ve listened to lately are Born to Kvetch by Michael Vex and Pictures of a Revolution by Lloyd James.

Born to Kvetch is about the Yiddish language. The author reads the book himself, which is always nice, I think, but is especially good with this book because of the rhythm of the way he speaks.

The book is informative, but it’s also very entertaining. The author has a clever way of saying things that make you laugh to yourself long after you’ve finished the book. The book also explains where a lot of words and sayings that are now part of everyday English.

The book is part religion, part linguistics, part folk tales, and part advice. It’s just a pleasure to read, or rather listen to.

The other book I recently listened to, Pictures of a Revolution, explores five movies that changed the movie making industry. The five movies were the nominees for Best Picture in 1967, incidentally the year I graduated from high school—Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, The Graduate, In the Heat of the Night, Doctor Dolittle, and Bonnie and Clyde

The book describes how the ideas for the movies were conceived, how the scripts were written, how the movies were shot and produced, and how they were received by critics and the public. Mostly, the author shows how each one of these movies signaled the end or the beginning of an important movement in the film industry. It is a fascinating book, and I can’t wait to watch those movies again after reading it.

• Re: Shanghai Diary

This is a moving story about Ursula Bacon and her Jewish family who left Germany escaping Hitler's "Final Solution", and became refugees in Shanghai China. China was one of the few countries that were accepting Jews from Germany at a time when the US, Canada, Mexico, Australia and many other countries had closed their doors. http://www.amazon.com/Shanghai-Diary-Journey-Hitlers-War-Torn/dp/1595820000

catlihei

During the ST Summit I shared the titles of a couple of books that I have found to be very beneficial on a personal level.  After our discussion I was encouraged to add these books.

How Not to Look Old

by Charla Krupp.

how not to look old.gif

This is a great book for the confident woman who is comfortable with her age and is looking for tips and tricks to look her best no matter how "old" she is.  We are only as old as we feel!

Fabulous After 40 The Savvy Woman's Guide to Her Best Season of Life
                      by Pam Farel.

Fabulous after 40.jpg

A popular speaker and bestselling Christian author Pam Farrel shares words of encouragement and humor to woman after 40.

Men are like Waffles, Women are like Spaghetti

by Pam and Bill Farrel

waffles.jpg

The Farrels explain why a man is like a waffle (each element of his life is in a separate box) and a woman is like spaghetti (everything in her life touches everything else). My husband and I read this together and have shared it with many couples!