75 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2011 7:43 PM by glen_w

Gadgets?

holmesg

I am a gadget person and I would like to share a new gadget and ask that you share one that you may have found useful in working with technology.  I recently purchased the Nokia N800 hand computer.  It fits in my palm. I can search the internet, skype and answer email on the go. It is very handy and can fit nicely inside my purse.  I love it.  I purchased it for 132.00.  If you have a neat inexpensive gadget, please share what it is, what it can do, where you found it and the cost.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

• Re: Gadgets?
          shanmangin

Some schools in our region are purchasing flip videocameras, which also fit in your palm.  They cost about $150.00 and actually take decent video and pick up the audio recordings well enough for classroom use.  Here's the link to the camera http://www.theflip.com/.

tlmaves

These Flip Videos are great! In fact, you might see some at the ST Summit this year as "goodies" to win in a drawing. Shhh...it's a secret.

Glen, how is your Flip Video working out? (He won it in our community drawing a few months back).

Thank you, Theresa, for this cool gadget.  I won it at the ST Summit.

I have use my to record an event for one of our local conferences.

glen_w

I won a FLIP???

Seriously, I use it to take videos of classroom activities. I import the clips into iMovie and slow down the frame rate to make it easier for students to see details. I've included a short video clip of a showing how air pressure outside of a can causes the can to implode when the air inside is heated and becomes less dense.

I HIGHLY recommend the FLIP Camera for classroom use. Regularly I put the FLIP into student hands and let them record a lab we are doing. It's much more interesting to have them create the video than for me to do it. Students who missed the lab are able to watch these video clips and comprehend the lab much better than doing just a book assignment.

Currently the Flip has an Educators Special allowing a teacher to get up to four FLIP cameras at a 2 for 1 rate!

holmesg

Shannon,

I saw a neat use of the flip camera.  A teacher in Wake County (North Carolina) used it to have students sing and act out songs about science concepts. The students had fun while learning about the water cycle, force and motion and many other curriculum topics.

I was teaching a podcasting class and one of the teachers used a flip camera to video a speech for student elections for students to view before they voted. They felt the participation in the student election was better than when they sat in an auditorium and listened to the speeches.

I have had teachers use the flips for field trips at the end of a unit of study. Groups of students are given content based projects that require digital final products. One trip incorporated science, culture and the history of a plantation in Louisiana.

Gail,

The flip technology is really cool.  Two weeks ago my students used the flip recorders to record themselves as they created fact and opinion commercials.  This was a great project and product.  Students were really able to focus in on the application process of facts and opinions which otherwise might seem worthless.

RE: FLIP CAMERAS: we put them in the hands of our elementary ESL students, and had them film/narrate their own "tours" of the school. They wrote and spoke more than they had in any project prior! We put their "tours" on computer CDs and let them keep them.

We also had some middle school students use them to do a video "tour" of the renovation their school was undergoing--very revealing as to what they felt was important in a "new"  school building!(water fountains, restrooms, lockers, bus loop, teacher "fridges"...)

Our Special Ed teachers use them to document learning in non-traditional settings...

And regular ed teachers take them on field trips to document and extend learning from the trip when they return to class(for student documentaries)...and oral presentations and skits are now becoming documentary movies....Cecil B. DeMille--look out!!

We also buy them new on Ebay--great bargains!

dgoodman_1958

We bought flip cameras for all our teachers to document learning.  Things they have done:

• students making campaign speeches
                              • students reading their fairy tales in front of a background on the SmartBoard of a fairy tale scene
                              • students giving a report on science projects
                              • principal does walk throughs with the flip
                              • teachers created a Christmas present for our principal and asst. principal with recorded videos which were imported into Movie Maker, music added and burned to DVD and presented at the Christmas Party
                              • just in time short staff development saved to shared folder to be viewed when and if needed by staff 
                              • students documented a geocaching activity and was able to get snapshots of the various caches found- imported the snapshots into Photo Story 3 to create a digital story of their activity

There are so many ways this gadget can be used in education.  What are your ideas?

MrsSmoke

We have been using the Flipcams hot and heavy in our district this Spring.  Finally we have an affordable and intuitive tool for student video projects on a PC.  Even the non-tech savvy teachers are excited about them and their possibilities.

tlmaves

Great discussion starter Gail. We will gather up the ideas posted here and highlight some of them on the main page. Everyone respond! Remember, "What's in Your Bag". We can revive it!

holmesg

Good idea Theresa. If everyone brings a gadget with an explanation of use and where to find it, we may all be able to go back excited about sharing not only the INTEL resources but new tools and ideas for using them as well.

I am looking for advice on gadgets.  I will be in the market for a new phone and want to know which one (Verizons is my provider) people are having success using.  I think I want one that does it all.  What do you guys think?

Linda Morse

holmesg

Linda, My daughter has the Dare phone with Verizon.  It is a full touch screen phone.  You can access email and browse the internet, GPS and uses a micro SD memory card.  This is good for people who enjoy downloading music. The camera has 3.2 mega pixels.  Along with text messaging, and pictures you can video as well.  It is blue tooth capable. Hope this helps!

lsrdhunter@msn.com

Linda,   My son just purchased the Blackberry Storm under a Verizon plan.  So far he loves the phone. The display screen is crystal clear and large.  No problems using the virtual keyboard. He purchased the Blackberry package with unlimited everything.  He also uses a hands free head set with the phone which works beautifully. As a real estate agent, his phone is his bread and butter.  For more information visit http://estore.vzwshop.com/storm/

vkajones

Linda,

I used to have Sprint, but I switched to ATT and bought an iPhone. I LOVE my iphone. To me it has tons of gadgets (disguised as applications) built in and the option to download thousands more. I'm glad I made the switch.

Ok, Linda, I am going to add to your dilema.  I have a Verizon Pocket PC 6800.  I chose this over the Blackberry and Treo, because wanted the Windows version.  This phone connects to the Internet and can also be tethered (connected to a computer and used as a modem to give the Internet access to the computer).  I believe there is also a way for the phone to be programmed as a router.

I get my Outlook and Gmail sent to my phone.  I tried the VZ Navigator (GPS), but it didn't work very well.  I canceled that and know I just use Google Maps form the phone.

A local talk show host has an AT&T-- iPhone and the Verizon-- Blackberry Storm.  He loves the iPhone, but not the service (too many dropped calls in the big city).  He loves the Verizon service, but not the phone.

Sorry for giving you another option, instead of another vote for an already listed phone.

This is not a new gadget, but one that elementary teachers are putting to good use. As teachers work on fluency skills, they are asking students to read and record selected passages with a digital voice recorder. Because the children know others will be hearing them read, they are eager to re-read selections, improving fluency in the process. The recordings can be used as part of a digital reading portfolio and shared with parents. One I have seen in use is the Olympus VN-4100. They can be found for $40-$45.  -Sandra

tdiener

You can never have too many gadgets. My favorite new gadget is a Hue HD Webcam. I picked it up at KMart for $22.00. It's a webcam attached to a gooseneck cable that can be connected directly to a USB port or to a base. I use it as a web cam and as a document camera.  It may not have the full functionality of an AverKeys document camera...but for $22.00 it works just fine! Check it out http://www.huehd.com/index-2.html

tdiener

I just got this information from my Google Certified Teachers Group, and thought you "guys" might find it interesting. Johnny Lee (a presenter at TED) talks about making any surface an interactive "whiteboard" by repurposing a WII game controller. (Total cost: $40.00). Visit: http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/johnny_lee_demos_wii_remote_hacks.html

• Re: I made one!
                                                      Bonnie Feather

I made one of the little gadgets you describe.  It costs very little, and isn't hard to make if you have a soldering iron.  Our local chapter of AzTEA (Arizona Technology in Education Alliance) sponsored a Saturday workshop and the presenter brought all the items we needed to create one.  You need a wii remote to make it work as well as a bluetooth dongle (which I purchased through EBay from Hong Kong for $2.98)  You don't tear up the wii remote - it just transmits the signal to your computer through the bluetooth dongle.

A local principal was told by a parent that instead of spending big bucks on whiteboards, they should just be getting these.  Not so.  It only allows you to control the screen of your computer, so you can only manipulate programs on your computer.  This will be good for applications I might use when I'm away from my own lab, but in a classroom, it's the software that makes a board such a powerful learning tool.  So, it's not a replacement for a real interactive whiteboard.

That said, I will be doing a workshop out of town this summer, and using mostly internet.  For this use, it will be great to be untied from my laptop, which might not be set up near the front of the room.

You can also purchase your own "homemade" light pen (I don't know what to call these yet...) online for between $8 and $10.

http://penteractive.us/?gclid=CP39yvOko5oCFRlcagodrGTZ-A

http://www.wiiteachers.com/

http://www.terracode.com/IR_Pen/DIY_IR_Pen.html

http://www.kenmooredesign.com/2008/11/how-to-make-infrared-led-light-pen-for.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czs2oJZY7hU

Have fun!

Bonnie

tdiener

Bonnie, you have encouraged me to try making one, but I know my history with tinkering...I'm not a very good technician. I tend to forget that its the active board software that's empowering not necessarily the hardware.

Tom,

Not sure if you saw the article in Learning and Leading with Technology this month, but there was an article on Building you Own Board.

August 2009 Page 18

What a great project for you to tackle....LOL

I just got a really cool Microsoft wireless mouse. It has a rechargable battery (with a very nifty magnet connector - think mac like :-) and the wireless USB connector is also a 1GB memory stick. It is called the Microsoft Mobile Memory Mouse 8000 and I think i paid about 50 bucks for it. slick.

dadams6@kumc.edu

I just bought one of these as well!  Mine is designed for laptop use and actually collapses into a small space for travel but unfolds for use.  The USB receiver is about 1/4" long and can stay in the laptop all the time, or it clicks magnetically to the bottom of the mouse.  I love it!

Microsoft Arc Mouse:

http://tinyurl.com/yzckhw5

http://images2.store.microsoft.com/prod/clustera/v2/productAssets/US/EN-US/en-US_Arc_Mouse_Blk_ZJA-00001/en-US151_Arc_Mouse_Blk_ZJA-00001.png

• Re: Bamboo Pad

http://www.wacom.com/BambooTablet/bamboo.php

I bought one of these last weekend, and it has been my toy choice of the month! Check it out! Let me know if you purchase it! WARNING: It's addictive!

Great Purchase....they are very addictive. We use these with our online Algebra classes. When teachers take one of our classes  they are shipped one to use for the course and then they mail it back after.....what a great opportunity to use a new piece of technology.

tdiener

The Wacom pads are addictive. I can spend hours using one with  PhotoShop or Painter. I never run out of cadmium red! I just purchased a HP tablet...same type of experience. I wonder why tablets haven't 'taken-off". They have been around for awhile.

Bonnie Feather

I just learned about these from your post!  Thanks!  I see there are several different Bamboo pads.  I wonder if you can recommend which model to purchase?  The largest one I see at their website (the medium) seems to have all the same functions as the one below it, but it's bigger.  Does size matter?

We just had a training on the Bamboo Pad and how to use the pad with a Math activity.  We used the small Bamboo Fun pad.  It took a little practice using the pen.  As for which one to purchase, I would think it would depend on what you preference is, how much monies you have to spend, and how many you would be purchasing.  I like the small one because it was more compact and fit easier in the allotted space that I had on the table we used.

When you compare don't just look at the size. The buttons on the black MTE-450A are hard to see and blend into the slick front. The blue one that is a step up in cost is easier for students and visually impaired to see.

• Thanks to Sandy and Joshlyn!
                                                                              Bonnie Feather

I appreciate your comments.  At the moment I am thinking I might just buy one for myself, but these are great things to consider, especially the color issue for visual impairments!

holmesg

Has anyone checked out the mimio interactive bar.  The one thing that is does that the interactive board do not is allow you to use it without a projector. Files can be saved directly to the bar and with the writing kit can be used to let students directly record from their desk to the computer using an expo marker and paper.

Okay, I know I am probably the only person that does not have an iphone, but I do have an itouch. I have downloaded apps for my 2nd grader to use and the educational uses are numerous. In the future, I hope we can purchase several itouches for a check out lab in the districts I serve. Can you imagine the excitement when you put an itouch in the kids hands? Plus the fact that you don't have to do all of that syncing and beaming that you did with the Palms....EASY. Through in the ability to podcast and you have a very versatile tool.

I just thought about this because I so need one. Is anyone using the Kindle, Kindle2 or any other ereader in the classroom? I would love to hear some ideas you have about this tech gadget.

Just saw a new gadget yesterday.  I am not sure of its educational use in the classroom, however, it is a great game and thinking tool for those of you who love soduka puzzles.  It is actually a handheld soduka game.  It was really cool!

NaomiHarm

Good Morning Gail!  Thanks for your most recent post through Twitter on behalf of Intel Education- you got me "hooked" right away! Have been reading through my bloglines this AM and came across a prototype gadget called a Toshiba's JournE touch multimedia tablet (updated with hands-on video!) Looks pretty cool and intuative! Here is the link:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/03/toshibas-journe-touch-multimedia-tablet/

and here is the slideshow link http://www.engadget.com/photos/toshibas-journe-touch-multimedia-tablet-hands-on/2254760/

Block quote from the post: It's dominated by the touchscreen display, but underneath there's support for a wide range of codecs (H.264, DivX, WMV), 802.11b/g WiFi, some online multimedia services like YouTube and Flickr, and some light internet duties thanks to Internet Explorer running on Windows CE 6.0 Pro. Despite the size and multimedia prowess (it can output sub-1080p video over an HDMI plug in the dock), the device measures a mere 14mm thick and weighs just under a pound. There's only 1GB of built-in storage, but that can be expanded via the SD slot, and the device can access external storage over USB. Word is it'll retail for 250 Euro in Q4 this year.  Hmmm that would make how much in US dollars- oh yes let me convert this quckly - ta da -about $350.00 - quite attractive!  Hmmm...... wish I could pilot these tablets as classroom sets with students or for that matter with teachers taking the Intel Teach Elements PBA course.

Wouldn't it be interesting to set up a 21st century teaching and learning environment with these tools for seamless technology integration and immediate content/curriculum interaction?  Oh.... the possibilities

Toshiba Tablet.png

Naomi Harm

Saw a cool gadget today.  Joshlyn shared this with the TLTCs (Louisiana facilitators).  She showed us the Tweakers Speakers.  You can find them at Office Depot for $19.99 in several colors. speakers.jpg

I found a cool portable charger that fits any USB device.  It also comes with 9 adapters.  I wish I had one now!

whiteblackpowerstick_7_compact.png

glen_w

Most recently, I added a Thumbtack Microphone for iPod. I like how easily it works with my iPod touch. I've also tried it with an iPod (non-touch) and it records to voice memos easily as well.

Screen shot 2010-03-31 at 8.10.09 PM.png

Screen shot 2010-03-31 at 8.09.47 PM.png

When using this microphone with the iPod touch, I found the app Blue FiRe works best.

(I've tried almost every sound recording app and this one seems to record best of all. And the app is FREE!)

Screen shot 2010-03-31 at 8.05.05 PM.png

dgoodman_1958

I also bought the Thumbtack Microphone (a white one) for my iPod Touch but couldn't get it to work.  I will try the Blue Fire App and see if I have better luck.  The thumbtack worked fine on my iPod Classic.  I've not tried it on my iPad.        

glen_w

Deborah,

I think you will like Blue FiRe app - it works very well for me. I've tried three different voice memo apps! Each seems to look easy to use and/or useful for multiple situations. Of these, Blue FiRe records best for me. iTalk Recorder by Griffin was second in my testing results - you might try it with your Thumbtack microphone.I look forward to hearing about your success with this small microphone.

JulieSzaj

OMG, I'm trying to spend some time browsing all of the great discussions and I came upon this one about gadgets. As I read through the entries I kept thinking to myself.....we've come a LONG way in 2 years! 

So what are some of you favorite NEW gadgets?

• I want these all over my house!
                                                                                                  Bonnie Feather

Whomever thought of this idea should get rich(er.)  I built a house 4 years ago, and I have more outlets than anyone I know, including power strips above my kitchen counter and a long counter in the dining room, in my workroom and in the computer nook.  In addition to the strips, I have multiple gangs all over the place- I'm well-powered, and fortunately I have solar panels which provide all of my electricity and extra.

BUT- I have never thought about this idea, and someone did!

Check it out!  You'll want some!

This is the most useful new gadget I've heard about in a while!

~Bonnie

Keep in mind the consumer electronics show is tomorrow so you may want to check out some of the new items. They have been spotlighting many of the items http://www.theatlanticwire.com/opinions/view/opinion/Previewing-the-Previews-The-Consumer-Electronics-Show-6430 ...electronic coloring books, digital guitars and a really cool TV that is 3D without the glasses.

I fell in love with this camera today http://www.ipevo.com/prods/Point-2-View-USB-Camera/IPEVO - $70 is a deal for a portable plug and play devise that can do so much. Check out their educational flyer http://support.ipevo.com/download/doc/p2v/p2v_education.pdf

glen_w

Susan,

I like the idea that this camera has a macro feature. Being able to focus at 2 inches means a lot of small objects can be made visible for the entire class! I wonder if the camera could be used with iMovie to record video on a Mac? Inquiring minds want to know .

I don't see why not...cool! I read through some of the comments at the bottom of the page to see if anyone asked and some said....Will I be able to see the live video feed in Quicktime and thus be able  to record the incoming stream using the 'New Movie Recording' function?...they said yes so I don't see why you couldn't used iMovie.

But how cool is this...as I am reading I found these wireless speakers. http://www.ipevo.com/prods/IPEVO_Tubular/IPEVO

How cool is that for an iPad, Macbook (Glen), iPod etc. These are similar to Sandy's speakers in a post above but they are wireless.

glen_w

Bluetooth wireless speakers ... how cool is that! I'm sure I could enjoy using these on a very regular basis. Before I purchased these, I would want to compare the sound with the speakers Sandy mentioned. Sandy's speakers were very awesome in sound.

Oh yeah...did read

the P2V camera does not have a microphone function - that would have been a great feature!