35 Replies Latest reply on Mar 5, 2010 1:41 PM by sandee

Photo Story in the Classroom

taylorjc

How have you seen PS3 used successfully in the classroom?  If you have examples I would love to see them!

• Re: Photo Story in the Classroom
          NaomiHarm

Most successful use of PS3 in the classroom is for digital storytelling and documentaries.  Our school districts in the Midwest use this PS3 as their primary multimedia tool to produce Wisconsin Heritage day projects(4th grade level) and National History projects(8th grade level).  FYI- when my son was in the 4th grade- four years ago- he won first place at the state technology and media conference for his PS3 entry. He created a documentary on the life story of "Papa Chet" since his grandfather served in the Korean War and WWII and made notable life contributions to Wisconsin history.  And best of all -my 4th grader at the time created 97% of this project on his own- very self-directed learning opportunity and experience for all students!

Since PS3 is FREE to download and install onto any Windows XP computer- districts find this as a very cost effective tool to produce student and teacher multimedia projects.  The projects in return are multifaceted by documenting student and teacher proficiency skill sets aligned to ISTE NETS as a major assessment component in most of our districts.

I can bring a CD/DVD copy of the final product to share with you at our Intel Summit if you are interested.

Naomi Harm

holmesg

Proud mother and a hard working fourth grader.  I am sure your son discovered so many things about his grandfather to admire in addition to the normal grandson/grandfather relationship.  I think we would all enjoy viewing the video.  If time does not permit us seeing it during the summit, maybe you can upload to the engage community.

holmesg

I have used PS3 to have student create book summaries.  It has encouraged reading and improved writing.  Students are required to complete a template before recording the text.

My favorite use of Photostory: student documentaries.

A big plus for PS3: a very short learning curve for most grade levels of students...

glen_w

I was a big user of PhotoStory in my classroom for quite a while. I often used photos of students doing labs and showed them on the TV set behind me during Parent Teacher conferences. Parents waiting in the line would get to see what kids have been doing in the classroom. Excellent way to showcase and get parents excited about their child's learning.

I, however, have quit using PhotoStory for the most part. My first reason is that I use a Mac more now than a PC (I'm still BiLingual!) My second reason - perhaps of a greater influence is that I now use Animoto. The mashups created in this program are BEYOND my wildest dreams. Kids think I've taken over 10 hours to create a 2 minute video when I show it to them. The unregistered "free version" of Animoto allows you to create a 30 second picture video. HOWEVER there is an Education version of Animoto that 1. gives you the ability to create an "unlimited time length video" and 2. allows you to give students access to do the same! ALL FOR FREE! I now use Animoto videos as inquiry intros to what we will do in class as well as to showcase what we have done for labs. Here's a 2:25 minute long video of the prep and work done for a recent lab in my classroom.

Thanks for the "heads-up" to check out Animoto! It is my new favorite. There is still a good place in the classroom for Photostory(especially if you want kids narrating their movies)--but Animoto is SLICK!!! Very easy, very reasonable(free for shorts), and super production quality. Another plus is being able to just stream from their site...no worry about movie sizes and download times...

Thank you for the recommendation! Thank you, thank you!

taylorjc

BTW... with Animoto you can register as an educator by clicking on the link at the bottom of main page.  When you do that they will set up your account for you and give you full access as well as set it up so you can give your students an account as well, with full access.  And... the best part!  It's FREE! 

Enjoy!  I have also discovered www.onetruemedia.comwhich will allow you to not only use still pictures but video clips as well.  You also have control of transitions and effects unlike Animoto, if you want to have that control.   As far as I know this site doesn't have an educator "special."

I use PhotoSory in a librarian's professional development opportunity. They create digital stories in groups on Louisiana products which aligns with one of our activities in the La Comprehensive Curriculum. Many have gone back and created stories with their students - great PR on books. I always use the example of Number the Stars http://www.digitales.us/story_details.php?story_id=83 to get them started on thinking about books and the stories they tell.

holmesg

I have had all kinds of problems with sites being blocked.  I too like animoto, however in one county it is blocked while in others it is not.  It is good to provide students with choices.  Students can also use the different tools to show their creativity.  I use photostory 3 to create an introduction to literature while creating google lit trips.

tdiener

Janet, I have some examples of student Photostory projects at: http://kidsmovietheater.blogspot.com/ . The blog hasn't been updated in awhile but there are a few good examples. (The were all done in Photostory 2.) What I like best about Photostory is that its free and is pre installed on almost all new PCs. Most kids go home and do projects on their own.

Photo Story 3 has been around for some time now, long enough for many teachers and facilitators to discover its many uses as an effective instructional tool. I teach it from time to time and always get plenty of pleasant reactions.

Animoto has gone pay for use for most people, so I haven't been back there in a while; if they are giving it free to teachers since going to pay-for-use, I will likely use it, too, like I still do Windows MovieMaker.

If kids use their own digital photos with PS3, there is never a problem in my experience; it's only when they surf-and-1jack that the problems arise, even with fair use invoked.

glen_w

David,

I see you have hit the "nail on the head." As with all other situations, having students "surf and jack" for images or anything else leads to possible copyright infringement. I encourage students to use their own pictures in creating any type of slideshow. I provide digital cameras for their use in the classroom. These are checked out regularly during labs. We discuss copyright on a regular basis and I'll ask permission to use photos they have taken. They are thrilled that I might use one of their images in a presentation.

I feel that no matter the tool used, the most important thing is for students to learn they can reach the higher order thinking skills and be capable of "creating." In each opportunity to create a slideshow, I encourage students to make it fun for the viewer. Now I am working with my district to get them to allow publication of student work in a showcase style.

Keep up the encouragement of how and why these tools are used and I'll continue my battle.

The "surf-and-jack" is pervasive, starting with music and now simple clip art and other graphics. I try to teach the copyright concept and try harder to live up to it. Sometimes, I even ask permission from Webmasters ore-newsletter editors to use a cool graphic on a site or e-newsletter and get permission! I try to instill the ownership idea while teaching the fair use concept. Things always work out for the best when a person is honest. You can feel good about continuing your battle(s) knowing that there are others who are doing the same thing(s) in their little spots on a map.

tdiener

This is the first time I heard the term "surf and jack". As much as I love PhotoStory, I am tired of doing projects where kids "Google" images then plop them into PhotoStory and develop the story from there. I agree with Glen, giving kids digital cameras to capture their own images is so much more effective. I think you "guys" might enjoy a video created by a class I was recently. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aru4MbVvyD4

I haven't had much luck embedding video here...but I'll try it again.

NaomiHarm

Tom I truly enjoyed your video you just shared.  Oh boy can I relate! The technology has changed so very much.  I too agree with Glen and you about the importance of students using their own digital photos they have taken to incorporate into their digital stories. I also have students that enjoy the gift of drawing and painting to create their personal picture and then we have scanned the picture and saved them as a .jpg to import into a media program as well.  Others students have created their own image or taken a digital photo and transposed them using Gwww.picnik.com or www.dumpr.net or www.loonapix.com or www.bighugeabs.com to create a different perspective of the original image.  Students are so creative with this process as well to tell their story.

I truly believe the ultimate importance into digital storytelling is the script and storyboarding of their topic or focus area.  This leads for the students to be authentic in the retelling or crafting of their original story and choosing carefully the images around the narration and voiceover. I am in the process right now of creating an online course of digital storytelling and am still pulling my resources.  I will share my work when I have completed this course development.

New online and web 2.0 tools and support web pages that are lending themselves to more creative ways to tell a story include:

50 Web Tools to Tell a Story

Classroom 2.0

Digitals

Digital Story Tellers

Digital Story Telling Tools

Edutopia

Horray

Jakes Online  JakesOnline Wiki

Mobile Digital Storytelling

PhotoPeach

Shambles- Digital Storytelling

Slide Show Tools

Teach Digital

Lastly- here is a great story "Great Quotes from Great Leaders" it tells a story all on its on with authentic imagery and words of wisdom to inspire life long learning.

Life is grand ~

Naomi Harm

Terrific info, Naomi! Thanks for sharing -

We still teach PhotoStory in some of our technology workshops. Teachers love it and the resources will be very helpful-

tdiener

Naomi, many thanks for all these resources!!! My goodness girl, when do you sleep? I do believe PhotoStory is one of the most powerful pieces of software ever.

Dear Naomi!

Hello from Russia!

Thank you for posting great web links. I browsed some, especially http://cooltoolsforschools.wikispaces.com

1. What is your opinion - all of the cooltoolsforschools are Web 2.0 instruments?

2. Photostory creates .exe files, does it? What are the main advanatges of it, except free of charge, offline use & .exe product?

Many other slideshows, I think allow backgraound music, voice & some visual effects.

Hello Lyudmila:

Photo Story 3 creates files in a .wp3 format, older versions in a .psc format. PS3 is very easy to use AND teach students to use and importantly offers saving its native .wp3 files in numerous widely used formats for computers and handheld video players like .wmv and .avi.

tdiener

Lyudmila,  The best thing about PhotoStory is that it is easy to learn, but that doesn't mean it is not capable of producing a sophisticated product. I've used PhotoStory with 5 year-olds and adults. Its ability to take  images, sequence them, narrate, and add musical backgrounds to tell stories is outstanding.

NaomiHarm

Greetings Lyudmila,

The http://cooltoolsforschools.wikispaces.com is an excellent resource for web 2.0 literacy tools.  These tools allow teachers and students dynamic choices to create a variety of final media projects, and it levels the technology playground with immediate equity and access to resources, where otherwise they have to may for overpriced technology software solutions.  I am attaching my "best of the best" Web 2.0 repository list I put together that I presented at NECC' 09 to share with you and others.

PS3 is a great resource to create digital stories for any level of student or adult.  Once converted from the project file of .wp3 into the final product format  of a .wmv studens can also synchronize them with a mobile media device, or convert the .wmv file with www.zamzar.com or  http://online.movavi.com or   http://www.savevid.com to a .mp4 and then the file can be synchronized to an iPod device.        http://online.movavi.com/

Some new tools I recently came across for great publishing tools to turn your hardcopy creations into digital flipbooks for presentation purposes or to enhance your web presence.  Here are the new tools:  http://www.issuu.com or http://www.yudu.com or http://calameo.com  or   http://www.lulu.com or http://www.wobook.com/

Here is an example of an ISSUU book I made from my Smartbaord training tutorial located on my blog page to demonstrate how it displays back once embedded into a blog, wiki or webpage. Smartboard Training Manual

Naomi Harm

lsrdhunter@msn.com

Naomi,

Thank you for sharing wonderful resources.  I love www.issuu.com for posting manuals and directions.

One problem with your posting... I went to download your attachment but was unsuccessful.  The title of your document contains an apostrophe which makes it impossible to download.  Can you attach it again but leave out the apostrophe in the title?  Looking forward to seeing your attachment.

Linda

Naomi,

Thank you for the list of valuable resources that you shared with the community. I have to say that many of the sites you shared were new to me. WOW! That is what makes this community so great. Everyone can contribute and everyone benefits.

Thanks for the fantastic list of web 2.0 resources. I teach a 21st century teaching and learning course and will definitely be able to make use of some of the sites.

Naomi!

Truly thanks for your reply and for your job on the whole! I've browsed your blog and ISSUU book  & found them wonderful.

It's much to learn about new services. Too much...

I am wondering, how do you manage to use a lot of different services?

Their number seems to be unlimited, though in Russian language for school use still there are only few. Teachers usually don\t have time to explore much on the Net. Is there any rating, done by specialists, for the usefulness of the Web 2.0 service for particular age and tasks?

NaomiHarm

Greetings Lyudmil,

Yes, it can be quite difficult to differentiate between all the web 2.0 resources that are made available to us.  I have put together a collection aligned with ISTE"s NETS to assist our school districts in the US with this same question you have posed.  I update my list every 6 months to reflect the best literacy tools to use in a k-12 educational classroom environment to engage and motivate all students.

I realize teachers are very busy and have limited time to research the best practices of web 2.0 literacy, but this is my passion- to share my new knowledge with others, and to ultimatly assist teachers in their efforts to support teaching and learning through this global portal. I make it a personal and professional practice that everyday I read my bloglines/google reader feeds to learn about instructional tools and staregies that can assist and improve student learning- just like others have other hobbies- I read, research and share and collaborate with others through a technology venue.  This makes me happy, fulfills a need of helping others that may not have this strength, and I feel and I hope my contributions will ultimately help the educational online community as a whole.

Thanks Lyudmila for sharing your expertise with me, so that I can learn from you!

Naomi Harm

Thanks for sharing all the resources and suggestions. Our area uses Photo Story with students aligning content with their curriculum. Students use personal work and photos they take for the content and only add images to enhance a point. I find they think more critically about conveying the projects objectives and less about finding pretty pictures. Bottom line for the students, 'What have I learned from this story?'

glen_w

I got the following email from Animoto today!

As of today, you can add video clips to your Animoto videos! Watch a few sample videos and find out more here:

http://animoto.com/video

You will not believe how good your vids are going to look. And using video clips in your Animoto videos couldn't be easier--no need for a complex video editor! Just follow these three steps:

1. Upload clips from your camera or phone (iPhone 3GS anyone??), or use some from our collection (thanks to iStockphoto and Getty Images).
                                                                            2. Choose your highlights. You can choose highlights of up to 10 seconds each, though we recommend using only 3-5 seconds as that works best within the flow of an Animoto video.
                                                                            3. Create the rest of your video as normal, and you're done.

To celebrate the launch of the video clip feature, we're holding a contest in which you can win an action-packed TRIP FOR TWO TO NEW YORK CITY! All you have to do is submit your best video. Sooooo easy. Here's the deal: each week for five weeks, we'll announce 2 finalists, and just for being a finalist you'll get a Flip Mino HD (awesome) or a VholdR ContourHD helmet camcorder (really awesome). Then at the end we'll announce the grand winner, which could be you!

For full contest details, head here:

http://animoto.com/video/contest

One of the ways that I have seen PhotoStory 3 used in the classroom is with the Senior Projects.  All seniors are required to research a career, create a presentation, and then present the information to a panel.  They always use PowerPoint and last year, some of the teachers wanted to use PhotoStory instead and the students loved it, displayed their creativity, and had ownership of their work.