29 Replies Latest reply on Aug 12, 2012 4:26 PM by susangauthier

A Board Can Say it All!

I love this teacher's bulletin board. Her board is a web representing Digital Citizenship and throughout her lessons the students take the topics/skills sheets (ex cyberbullying, blogs, collaboration, visual literacy, problem solving etc.) out of the yellow pocket (on the side) and place them in the web. This is a great way for the students to reflect on their activities and she will always know what she has covered. What are some of your favorite boards in your schools? Share a description or a picture.

photo.JPG

• Re: A Board Can Say it All!
          julesfischy

I really wanted a "like" button for getting this sharing started.  I like how a clasroom visual can prompt students to think about and use technology in a new way. 

You mentioned that students took activities out of the yellow folder- but is there anythign they come back and share on the bulletin board? 

I love that I saw this post while I was having dinner with the teacher who has this board in her classroom.  She loved your comment because it totally increases the amount of interactivity in the board with them coming back to share. What a cool board that will grow with the students. Any other board ideas? I have an empty board and would love to "borrow" your ideas.

glen_w

What an excellent board. Our study skills teacher has spent significan time helping students understand digital citizenship. Her students created posters (in small groups) and covered the walls in my hallway. Now I'm wishing I had taking photos I could share with the group. I'm so glad you shared with us - this is excellent.

I think many times we forget about awesome boards. There was one last semester that I should have snagged a picture of...and it was the brainchild of a student teacher. The board looked like a twitter page and the students were given slips of paper and an assigned twitter login (they were characters from a book they were reading) During the book they posted about what was happening to them in the book. So basically they were using twitter offline but so everyone could see what was happening. The students loved it.

erroth

I have a Wall of Fame in my classroom and the fourth grade has a hallway Wall of Fame. On my Wall I post photos of individuals and groups who have achieved something significant (such as winning a classroom math tournament, breaking a classroom record, demonstrating a martial arts form and breaking a board in class, hosting a weekly classroom podcast, etc.) Everyone ends up on the wall at least one time. I pass out the photos at the end of the year as part of fourth grade's Parent Appreciation and Awards Day.

For our fourth grade Wall of Fame, students submit their brushes with fame, such as having a part in a movie, meeting someone famous, having a famous relative, being in the news, etc. This might be a good topic for a thread.

Cool idea and I love how everyone makes the board. Does anyone have a similar wall to share ideas with Eric?

I love this idea.  It's similar to what my district does - there is a bulletin board in the hallway where we can post pictures of our students who are in the news (small town, local papers).  The kids love to see themselves on display, and this lets them know that their school does care about their successes.  It's a great way to add deposits when you build relationships with the kids.

holmesg

What a great idea.  Good strategy to share with teachers with little or no technology.

Isn't it funny to take a technology concept and put it into a physically interactive bulletin board with manipulatives. Love it!  

tdiener

One thing I really miss about being a classroom teacher, is doing bulletin boards.

A couple tools I used to use to create large mural size images were:
                            Rasterbator
                            http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/ alternate address: tp://code.google.com/p/rasterbator-ng/

BlockPosters
                            http://www.blockposters.com/

Cool tools!

tile.jpg

erroth

I have several Periodic Tables posted in the classroom and a large (free) one from the Mineral Information Institute. My students create their own elements and we make a periodic table out of it and post it in the hallway. Here are some samples from last year. When we complete our new and improved periodic table this year I'll post a photo of it.

dgoodman_1958

This is a great idea to keep a running visual of what you've covered with students and keeps the ideas in view so students can connect to other topics/lessons etc. 

I agree, a board CAN say it all!  With all the technology resources we have, there is still something to say about a well thought out, old fashioned, interactive bulletin board.  Here's a site with lots of ideas.  http://faculty.kutztown.edu/schaeffe/BulletinBoards/bbs.html

Ignore the basic requirements of the interactive board on this site, just check out the ideas.

holmesg

Great resource Deborah.  This is a great page to share with students and give them the assignment to create a bullentin board on the classroom topic of study.  The students would of course use the site you provided as a guide!

tdiener

Deborah - Thanks for this link...what a great collection of ememplary bulletin boards. The All Star Math example (with the sports pennants) reminds me of a Math teacher I know. She displays college pennants along the perimeter of her classroom. Each year, she asks her graduating Seniors to send a pennant from their college when get there in September. Its amazing! Not one of them forgets to send one. There's layer upon layer of pennants; each signed with affection from her former students.

A board can say it all and this boardis a great idea for technology. I use a different board strategy. In Language Arts I use a word wall and after vocabulary words are introduced to the students and we have studied them, they are put on the word wall to build our End of grade Vocabulary.  The wall is referred to all year for various  activities to develop strong skills in vocabulary.This will remind me to takes some pictures  too.

A word wall is a great strategy...thanks for sharing Shirley and I look forward to some pics! Also, are you using Accelerated Reader in your classroom. I was thinking of starting a discussion on getting students excited about reading and AR.

deafteach

I also keep a word wall. I fill my wall  with  essential words that can be used across many units.  Students make posters at the end of each unit, and those are posted as review of words learned.  With using student posters they take ownership through the year of what us put up in  the room.  I think having visual walls allows the students to learn about using reference materials to help with studies.  When a student asks how to spell a word or what a word means, and that word is  posted, I can remind them that they can use reference materials to help them solve their problem. I can direct them three reference materials in the posters.  I find that  students become more and moreindependent as the year continues.

I saw this picture on November Learning's Facebook page and it reminded me of this post. Below is the bulletin board pic and description. What do you think?

pictech.jpg

It's not vital that every teacher knows how to use every application that is to be used in a classroom. Teachers need to know their content and should be able to direct students toward different types of applications for different purposes. Then, let students do the work to become experts.

Here's how one middle school teacher from Lawrence Middle School in New Jersey organizes his student experts. Students go to other students for help with these applications. He focuses on the learning.

It's not vital that every teacher knows how to use every application that is to be used in a classroom. Teachers need to know their content and should be able to direct students toward different types of applications for different purposes. Then, let students do the work to become experts.

It is that time of year...at least for me. I will be back at school next week. I am looking for some great bulletin board ideas. Any great board ideas for the start of school?

I love bulletin boards and posters that can be utilized.  I begin the year with a bulletin board of all the students AND BLANK WALLS.  As we learn different subjects we create a poster or bulletin board together that can be used all year!

I think boards are a great way for teachers to showoff their class.  You can put so much detail and enthusiasm in them.  Students love to see the boards up and down the hallways as they are walking and are always looking for one they can relate to and one that is different.  I do not mind putting the extra work into them. 

JulieSzaj

Several of my teachers this year have a bulletin board with the school year's essential question on it. Throughout the year, as they find "answers" to the question they will add the info to the board. It could be a picture, a quote, data, newspaper article, etc. At the end of each quarter they will review and summarize their learning thus far and see what other questions they are wondering about or have to help them build their answer. I thought that was a great way to assess understanding and knowledge for both the teacher and the students.

I know you are talking about physical bulletin boards but I have many of my teachers use Glogster for PD and they really come up with some nice "virtual" bulletin boards for the kids to view.  Here are a few examples:

http://angb4.edu.glogster.com/fall/

http://pawtigger.glogster.com/glog-6913/

Glog: InternetSafety

glen_w

Karen,

I appreciate your reminder of how a Glog can go beyond a traditional "board." I like how easily glogs can be created and shared. Your examples are spot-on (especially the Internet Safety.) My students, who have not done glogs previously, love how they can express learning with this tool.

Great Tips Karen! I am now leaning towards an infographic board showing the most popular books checked out in the library. I am still checking out textbooks (I think I hear that beeping noise in my sleep) so I will start on it after I get all those textbooks home. Has anyone made an infographic board before?