7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2012 12:19 PM by holmesg

Have you made an effort to personalize learning for each and everyone one of your students?

NaomiHarm
      Here is a recent article that was posted through Huffington Post and noted on the 21st Century Fluency Project website that many of you will find interesting titled:

When Children Text All Day, What Happens To Their Social Skills? http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/09/children-texting-technology-social-skills_n_1137570.html?ref=email_share

Intel_collaboration.png

There are a lot of great points made in this article and I posted this same article as an extension for learning to the online Intel Elements Collaboration course I am currently facilitating with many state leaders.  Many of the leaders I am working with are struggling to see the value of Twitter as a professional learning community for a substantial part of PD, and texting in the educational setting- so I posted this response to my learners:

I will be the devils advocate here to some of your reflections you have posted this past week- it is good to mix it up smile - I learn 75% of my PD from Twitter- yes- it is true. I have set up my  PLN of Twitter friends to only focus on high quality PD learning  outcomes with like minded individuals. I ONLY follow edtech leaders- it  is professional learning network and I keep it ALL professional. I pose  questions to my Twitter community- that I normally would never get an  answer from my local colleagues, where my online PLN provides me with a  multitude of solutions and avenues to extend my learning.

I find out about the latest online free conferences and tap into these learning opportunities 24/7 to meet my demanding schedule. I take time to personalize my learning through learning reflections on my blog to share my new gained skills/expertise or pose new questions so  viewers can share their knowledge with me through a blog post, setup  times to Skype with new Twitter friends to take my learning deeper or  learn from others, and then when the opportunity arises- attend national  conferences to seek out these same individuals to meet them  face-to-face and make the meaningful connection.

There is an independence towards this new way of learning. I have the  freedom to opt in or out of the learning and am in control of my  learning adventures and final learning destinations. I am tired of the  set and get and lecture style approach- it does not meet my learning  style or personal needs. So let's take a step back and really view how  our students are learning today.

Have we made the effort to personalize their learning for each and  everyone one of our students? Or are we only offering learning  opportunities that make the most sense to us- because that is how we  learn best and we are comfortable with it? When is the last time you  asked a student how they learn best and why- and provide them an  opportunity to share their expertise and a learning example or digital  product with you through a personalized learning plan?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jww5Ik45o0k&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL806901F622062CB5

• Re: Have you made an effort to personalize learning for each and everyone one of your students?

Naomi, great video.  It reminded me of an article I saw the other day.  Look specifically at point #6.  Intel has poured so much into PBL and hopefully, someday, those in power will understand that this is what we need......more PBL, not rote memorization.

http://www.onlineuniversities.com/blog/2011/12/10-lessons-american-schools-can-learn-from-china/

Neil

• Re: Have you made an effort to personalize learning for each and everyone one of your students?
            NaomiHarm

21 Characteristics of 21st Century Learners

(http://drsaraheaton.wordpress.com/2011/12/07/21st-century-learners)

Whether  you are a teacher, a parent, an aunt or an uncle, it is  important to  know that today’s students are wildly different in some  ways, from past  generations.

21st Century learners…

1. Want to have a say in their education. They’ll respond better when their voices are heard.
            2. Often have higher levels of digital literacy than their parents or teachers. They don’t know a world without computers.
            3. Expect transparency in their parents, teachers and mentors. They’ll see right through you. (Makes it really hard to plan a surprise birthday party for them!)
            4. Want you to tell them when you have messed up, apologize for it, and move on. Everyone messes up. No big deal. Just don’t try to hide it. If you do, they are likely to post it on Facebook.
            5. Don’t care as much about having a job as they do about making a difference. The very concept of a “job” has changed so much in the past decade, the future is about making a difference.
            6. Demand the freedom to show their wild creativity. 21st century learners balk at rote learning and memorizing. They’ll do it if you make them, but be prepared to let them loose to be creative, too.
            7. Want to connect with others in real time on their own terms. They want their social media, their phones and their mobile  technology.  They want to be connected. All the time. In a way that  makes sense to  them (not necessarily to you).
            8. Collaborate amazingly well. They love teamwork and figuring things out with their friends.
            9. Really can multi-task. To do other wise is… yawn! Bo-ring!
            10. Appreciate a “trial and error” approach to learning new skills. Thank you, video-game industry.
            11. Learn by doing. Just try making them sit down and learn from you by watching. See what happens.
            12. Have a “can do” attitude. Of course, they can do it, silly! There is nothing to be afraid of.
            13. Thrive in an atmosphere of controlled challenge. They must be challenged or they zone out, but they need structure, too.
            14. Have multicultural awareness and appreciation. This generation is more aware of a variety cultures, countries and ways of life than any generation before them.
            15. Open to change. Really, what’s the big deal?
            16. Are equal parts “consumer” and “creator”. Today’s learners download their own songs and apps from iTunes… and   then they create their own stuff and upload it to share with others.
            17. Increasingly aware of the world around them. From the environment to politics, today’s learners are asking questions and demanding answers.
            18. Know where to go to find information. Google was first incorporated in 1998. 21st century learners have never known a world without Google.
            19. Are better educated than any generation before them. (See #17.) 21st century learners really do know more than their parents (but that doesn’t necessarily make them wiser!)
            20. Expect inter-disciplinarity. It is we, the older generation, who organize topics into “subjects”.   The 21st century learner understands that subjects are inherently   interconnected. Like, duh!
            21. Know that they are the future. They look at their parents and their peers and understand that the   world’s future rests in their hands. (Wouldn’t it make you just a  little  bit cocky, too?)
              erroth

Naomi,

You may be interested in listening to this NPR story about a book that's out outlining the past year through twitter: http://www.npr.org/2011/12/31/144445325/a-twitter-year-in-review-365-days-140-characters

holmesg

Naomi,

Great article to start the New Year; especially since personalize learning is a goal that all schools should be aspiring to.  It can also be an argument towards student centered and problem based learning.  An article I read recently stated that "Instruction  is personalized when it focuses specifically on the needs, talents, learning style, interests, and academic background of each learner, and when it challenges each learner to grow and advance."  The article shared six basic elements for developing a strong personalized instructional school:

• A dual teacher role of coach and adviser
                • The diagnosis of relevant student learning characteristics
                • A school culture of collegiality
                • An interactive learning environment
                • Flexible scheduling and pacing
                • Authentic assessment.

You can read the article to get additiona information on strategies and resouces http://www.lecforum.org/publications/personalized_instruction_typology_article_1.htm