10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2009 7:49 PM by Bonnie Feather

Ensuring the Best MTs Possible

How can a Senior Trainer recruit and train the best MT candidates? Share your ideas for encouraging those who will be most likely to complete training, produce quality work, and provide the best participant training.

• Re: Ensuring the Best MTs Possible

I think you should take every opportunity to speak with curriculum directors, directors of instructional technology, and staff development directors to let them know how Intel can help to make a positive impact on their ability to build a strong technology staff development team, and, by extension, a well trained staff.

Those who have first completed Participant Teacher training are good candidates for Master Teacher training. They are aware of the pedagogical expectations and have had previous practice in creating products. I like to look here first for potential candidates.

That is certainly a good place to look. Do you keep a list of potential Master Teachers as you do your Participant training?

We have not had any trained PT's go through the MT. I think it would be beneficial to MT's if they had to go through the PT first and then go one additional day if they decided they wanted to be an MT (MI). That way they would have a better understanding of the program to make an informed decision about whether they would like to be a trainer.

blancaedu

Hi JoAnn,

I agree with your point and want to piggy back on your thoughts. Often times we feel teachers are ready to take the step towards master instructor because they have proven their effectiveness as trainers or as teachers in the classroom. Because the Intel® Teach courses require a considerable amount of time, effort, and a thorough understanding of project based learning and instructional design, it is not always easy to determine which teachers will fare well in the MT courses, until they have invested 2,3 or 4 days in the training. At times, we have trained teachers as MTs (and not first as PTs) just because of the amount of time involved - it's hard to ask teachers to give up 100+ hours to go through the same (similar) training twice. As the MT training includes a review and facilitation information, it would make sense to have a shorter MT course for teachers that have already gone through PT courses (and who have proven their understanding). Unfortunately that is not the case...yet, but I am sure as we hear more state's opinions on it, perhaps we can engage in conversations to review that.

Does anyone work with school districts that incentivize Intel training? I would think this would be a good technique as long as there is an understanding that the Senior Trainer will fail those who do not complete the course or turn in a poor unit.

blancaedu

Randi,

The districts where I have seen MTs really make a difference are where the administration supports the curriculum and shows it by attending the leadership forums or the trainings themselves! As far as incentives, have you seen or heard of any? Have the incentives included additional pay for training time? Time for planning?

• Incentivizing Intel participation
                          Bonnie Feather

I am entering my third year of working with a district in the Phoenix area that does use incentives.  I will try to explain their program as I know it.

Several years ago, the district embarked on initiatives to Transform Teaching.  They tried several program before I entered the picture, so i am not familiar with those or their level of success.  Two years ago, another trainer and I trained 90-some-odd participant teachers in the Essentials Program.  This was a requirement for the teachers to receive 6 laptops for their classrooms.  The district already had several levels of tech support in place- at each school site, and the next level, people covered several schools.  I can't remember what they called these folks.

The following fall (last year) we trained a large number of participants in the TwT course and then we began training their tech trainer cadre (sounds like a great district, right?) in both Essentials and TwT.  The trainers were not paid, since we did the training during the school day.  They did get new netbooks, however they already had tablet computers prior to this training.

This district expects its teachers to participate in a lot of extra PD, during the school year and in the summer.  I also have trained a large group of their teachers to be Technology Peer coaches with the Puget Sound Center for Teaching and Learning model.

A major incentive for teachers is pay increase.  The district uses its regular salary schedule to reward teachers for so many credit hours of continuing ed.