4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2012 7:20 AM by sealine@nwmissouri.edu

Blended Learning

julesfischy

Blended Learning - what is is? How do you define it?   Do you take advantage of blended learning in your classroom?  Please share your thoughts and ideas.

• Re: Blended Learning

iNACOL did an interesting webinar earlier this month on blended learning. There are is summary and discussion on eSchoolNews.

1 of 1 people found this helpful

When I do professional development and explain "blended learning", I like to use this illustration:

blended_chart.JPG

I just finished reading WV Senate Bill #103, which will "require the state board to establish digital learning programs" if passed.  It probably won't pass as is, (It's a huge undertaking) but I'm happy that they're at least headed in the right direction.  It seems like every other meeting I'm in at WV Dept. of Ed, the topic is in some way related to blended learning.  It's definitely the "hot topic" these days.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              sadiasyed

Blended Learning is an approach to learning and teaching which combines and aligns learning undertaken in face-to-face sessions with learning opportunities created online.

The blended learning aimed to provide the most efficient and effective instruction experience by combining delivery modalities.

2. "The term blended learning is used to describe a solution that combines several different delivery methods, such as collaboration software, Web-based courses, EPSS, and knowledge management practices. Blended learning also is used to describe learning that mixes various event-based activities, including face-to-face classrooms, live e-learning and self-paced instruction." By Purnima Valiathan

Since the goal of a blended approach is to join the best aspects of both face to face and online instruction. Classroom time can be used to engage students in advanced interactive experiences.  Meanwhile, the online portion of the course can provide students with multimedia-rich content at any time of day; anywhere the student has internet access, from institute computer labs, the coffee shop, or the students’ homes. This allows for an increase in scheduling flexibility for students.

Creating high-quality blended instruction can present considerable challenges. Foremost is the need for resources to create the online materials to be used in the courses. Materials development is a time and labor intensive process, just as it is in any instructional medium. In addition, blended instruction is likely to be a new concept to many students and faculty.

BlendedLearning.gif