6 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2009 9:47 PM by glen_w

How can we share our positive attitude in an online community?

When a small community comes together, its members start shining as they talk, share and exchange ideas. Now, imagine when the world community of dedicated teachers and educators come together how the world change and becomes a world of joy where a positive attitude toward teaching and learning remains the key to the success of the community. Share with us such an attitude  and the world will never forget you.

Sincerely,

• Re: How can we share our positive attitude in an online community?

Nowadays, the bad news are everywhere due to the recession that we are living in. It is often very depressing because such news are hitting us every time we turn on the radio or TV as well as when we get online seeking information. Our thinking and attitude may change depending how seriously we take the news particularly online. Remember the news are on the web and can be editable and produced anytime and anywhere in the world with any language. The truth about it can never be verified no matter what we do unless we are apart of the news. As teachers, we always hold the good news because we talk from fact. We provide hope with our smile whether we are online or in the real world. We are always steady in our approach to the content and people we work with. We are patient and passionate about what we do and we always hope for the best. We never try to mesmerize our public, in this case our students and their parents. We interact with them no matter what the circumstances are. We are even trying to get close to them providing them with an online environment to share and exchange with them the good news and only the good news. The best attitude that revives human hearts and human brains. Your story about the best attitude to keep going should be shared. You never know where the right seed can grow.

glen_w

You are so correct regarding our requirement to be upbeat in our attitude as teachers. Several of my Twitter friends and I decided to ONLY speak positive comments about two weeks ago. In this time, I have had many opportunities to consider carefully the words and tone I want to use. It was interesting to have a vice principal notice how upbeat my comments were. (I found out later all she had heard was negative comments all day.) I am 15 days into the challenge and am working to finish the full 30 days in the same positive manner. I have enjoyed the positive attitude this is providing in my own life so much, I'm looking to change the focus to "forever." I hope I have not decided on something that will be too difficult. I challenge each of my Intel Teach Senior Trainer friends to join me in taking the 30 day Positive Comments only challenge.

tdiener

Ask a teacher what his most rewarding professional experience was, and the answer will almost always be about a reaching a difficult student.There are many classroom situations that make it difficult to remain positive, but when these problems are resolved...there's no better feeling.

glen_w

Remaining positive with a challenging student is something I personally believe all teachers deal with. I coach teachers that the best way to work on this situation is twofold: First, the teacher needs to ensure that lessons planned are engaging and appropriate for the student age/ability; Second, the teacher needs to set the positive attitude example with the student. I have Special Education endorsements for working with both Behavior Disorders and Severely Emotional Disturbed children. In my experience, there are MANY students who demonstrate a challenging attitude towards teachers. Many of those I have worked with had other teachers "give up" on them and send them to the office for minor infractions. I found the majority began working with me and changing their behavior slowly when I was willing to give "time" to them. If inappropriate behavior began, I discussed it with the student quietly in the hallway outside my room. It seemed the process of not including the entire class in our discussion helped me gain a small amount of respect. The other thing that I learned was "greeting ALL my students at the door." I usually stand at my door EVERY day at the beginning of EVERY class period. As students arrive, I try to make individual comments - not just a "hello." Some of my favorite comments include remarks about a new hair color or haircut; nice shirt/dress color; new shoes; novel the student is carrying; as well as remarks about an injury (e.g. new cast). Be warned that such changes in student behavior take a LONG time. I have gone for weeks before I noticed the student behavior began changing for the better.

Here is another persective to what you mentioned.  A positive response to the greeting of "How are you?"  I usually hear busy, tired, or not good.  I always try to find a phrase different from "good", but truthful. I believe that if a person always responds with a negative, after a while, no one will ask how they are any more.  I have heard two great phrases recently.  "...better than I deserve" and "...I woke up on the right side of the dirt and loving my family the best I can"

I truly believe the positive attitude makes for a wonderful day.