1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 3, 2012 7:30 AM by aedwards@austinisd.org

Integrating Technology in Elementary Music

Naturally, I have installed some wonderful music education software on a "mini" lab I have created in my classroom, but the most challenging technological innovation I have created is a series of musically notated files that allow students to follow music notation via a cursor as well as hear the music. This keeps them engaged and really helps them learn to read standard music notation.

I also teach them how to use the notation software themselves so they can create their own compositions.

I have networked the computers in my music mini-lab so that students can share their work while they are working on the computers in my classroom.

If they are at home or on a computer not connected to the music class server, they can view their compositions and share with  others, after saving  to the class Wiki or Google Docs, with a free software called Finale Reader.

With "smart" pens, students are able hear melodic patterns I have recorded by touching sound spots.

They can also hear the different sounds of instruments by touching sound spots next to pictures of the instruments.

I have downloaded various apps on tablet computers that allow students to work in pairs or small groups to learn many facets of music: notation, piano keyboard, musical instruments, etc.

Students use a digital camera and video camera to record their performances for both classroom evaluation and for my own assessments. With these videos and photos I can create portfolios of student work.

It's hard to believe that when I first started teaching music, record players and vinyl recordings were the norm, along with audiocassette tapes!