9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2009 6:01 PM by lhritz

Internet Safety

lsrdhunter@msn.com

What things are you doing with your students to promote Internet Safety?

The attached cartoon by Peter Steiner has been reproduced from page 61 of July 5, 1993 issue of The New Yorker, (Vol.69 (LXIX) no. 20)only for academic discussion, evaluation, research and complies with the copyright law of the United States as defined and stipulated under Title 17 U. S. Code.

• Re: Internet Safety

In VA, each school division is mandated by the state to provide an integrated curriculum on Internet Safety for all K-12(and our parents)--so we do A LOT. Some of my favorite resources for this have been:

netsmartz.org (many fun resources for kids and teens!).

Disney's Surfswell Island.

the games(but especially Missing)  from webwisekids.org.

and the Pokemon Learning League lessons on Internet Safety.

I think it's proving especially effective, because we begin educating our students on self-protection at such early grades, they're growing up with a safety awareness many adults don't even have...

By far, the single most effective resource has been Missing: its game format is appealing---but it's sobering in its authenticity...(target grade for us:8th grade)

What do others find effective?

holmesg

I went through face book and other social networking sites, downloaded pictures and then went through the process of telling students all the hidden messages the pictures revealed. For example a student sitting on a porch with hand rails may indicate that an ederly person lives there.  Lattice underneath the house may reveal a crawl space in which a person may hide.  A street address may reveal a person's location. Body language, seductive and otherwise says a lot!  Students are usually left spellbound and whispering about the need to remove photographs.

jean.weller@doe.virginia.gov

To add on to what Jane noted, the Virginia DOE has focused tremendously on student education rather than reliance on technological interventions, like filters.  All in all, students are very safe while in school--it's out of school that is much more scary.  So we see our responsibility as preparing the kids for anytime they are online.

Each school division creates their own Internet Safety program, based on nationally-available resources or their own creations.  We provide a continually updated list of resources (http://www.doe.virginia.gov/VDOE/Technology/OET/internet-safety-related-resources.pdf) for them to use.  Our emphasis is that all teachers in all subject areas need to teach bits of Internet Safety as a matter of course (see the guidelines:  http://www.doe.virginia.gov/VDOE/Technology/OET/internet-safety-guidelines-resources.pdf)

Jean

dgoodman_1958

I am a technology facilitator at a 3rd through 5th grade school and we use the iSafe curriculum to teach Internet Safety.  The first 6 weeks are devoted to Internet Safety with reinforcement during the year.  Students at this age seem more willing to take this serious.  As they get older and become more influenced by their peers, they begin to think things won't happen to them.  When I worked with our middle school students, we discussed what they thought was appropriate and inappropriate.  They had to know they could trust me with this discussion. They were willing to share their usernames, screennames, and told me what pictures they had uploaded to MySpace.  When I asked them if they'd show their parents their MySpace page, some of them answered no.  A few lightbulbs went off.  Wow, maybe I shouldn't be posting this stuff out there.  Some shared with me that they never thought someone other than their friends would be interested in looking at their websites.  I truly feel we are not having enough of these discussions with our students.       

We use the isafe program as well in some of our schools. I worry about some of the programs that just focus on the scare tactics and not on responsible behavior. If we didn't filter so much we could have more open conversations and teach more of the things they need to know. Sometimes the districts just don't want to deal with the conversation with the students so they just say that they filter.

We have gotten requests to do training for parents. We have done a little bit of it but more in general terms rather than specific. Does anyone do training for parents and if so what type of training do you give them?

JoAnn

holmesg

Netsmartz has age appropriate videos that I use to teach safe internet use.  The videos are real stories narrated by teenagers or a relative to chronicle problems that resulted from negligent computer use.  These videos serve as hooks to gain their attention and liven discussions.  This has resulted in a number of the students changing their internet practices.

We currently use the iSafe http://www.isafe.org/ curriculum at our training centers. We are investigating the  ikeepsafe http://www.ikeepsafe.org/  materials since they will be donated to our schools.