9 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2010 3:06 PM by azneil

Assessments?

holmesg

Assessments can be given in a variety of formats.  What unique forms of assessment have you found success in implementing in your classroom and which ones have you found students to be more responsive to.  If you have sample templates, please upload and share with the community.

• Re: Assessments?

We do a presentation at conferences called Reassessing Assessment: Resources for the 21st Century. We have a wiki with our resources. http://la-assessment.wetpaint.com/. Feel free to check it out. Nan Stephens - one of our Senior trainers organized the materials. She could answer any questions.

Since taking the Intel TWT training, many teachers in my district are using the Visual Ranking tool for pre- and post-assessments. Students love it and the teacher can evaluate student responses online. Great Tool!

• Re: VR as an Assessment Tool
                julesfischy

I too think Visual Ranking is a great tool.  What are some of the prompts that teachers are using as a pre-post assessments?  In order to get credit on a post assessment must students have comments explaining their ranking?  Sounds interesting.

Nan,

I agree with you about the Intel TwT training and using the VR tool as an assessment.  All of the online tools provide a means for assessment which is very valuable for both the student and teachers.  I also like that they address the higher order thinking skills and makes our students think about why they are making certain decisions.

Intel has done an excellent job in providing the assessing projects tool also to help the teachers use and create more meaningful evaluations.

Hi Gail,

I think that a form of assessment should include multiple choice, matching, and a written response question.  The state assessment tests that we are using now,  requires the students to give a written response question at the end of the testing materials.  If your testing material doesn't have an written response question, please add a question or two as bonus points for the students.

Lessie Iverson

glen_w

Gail and everyone else who's in this discussion now ...

I don't have a "template" for effective assessments in my classroom. I, however, do my assessments rather uniquely compared to most teachers. Several years ago, I dramatically changed my method of "testing". When I give a test now, it is in multi-media format. Questions include pictures and video when appropriate. I read a question aloud and give all students time to respond to the question before continuing. One of the areas of this that I really enjoy is how I can ask questions that are closer to the top of Bloom's Taxonomy than typically done with a "bubble sheet" test. I read every question aloud to the entire class. This seems to benefit my Special Education as well as the English Language Leaners. Planning for such a test takes longer than for a typical "copy the test out of a textbook" ... but the results are MUCH better and students have commented: "I LOVE YOUR TESTS Mr. W!" I consider that to be very high praise. Who else had students tell them they love a test? I'd like to know how you make them fun for students.

glen_w

Gail,

I'm taking a new approach to assessment this week with a unique "performance assessment." My state core requires students be competent in using a classification key to identify objects. The requirement does not specify "classify leaves" or "classify insects" or "classify rocks." We have taken time to learn how classification keys work in identifying different items. My students will receive a plastic zip style baggie containing at five different kinds of cookies. They are to create their own classification key to identify the different cookies by working through the key. Students who create a successful classification key (as evidenced by a peer being able to use the key to identify the cookies) will be able to open the bag and eat their cookies .

I'd like to find other kinds of assessments being used that engage and encourage students to do their best.

Gail, a math teacher I have worked with started using the seeing reason tool.  At the end of the unit, each students created a Seeing Reason chart with explanations.  It was a real eye-opener.  Because she thought the kids really knew the material, she was amazed at some of the "interesting", her words, not mine, answers she received.  Needless to say, the lesson was re-taught with much better success!

Neil