4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 18, 2009 7:52 AM by vkajones

Facebook or Twitter?

dgoodman_1958

I have friends who use Twitter on a regular basis and those who use Facebook.  I also have friends who use both.  witter on a regular basis and have created a Facebook account to explore it further.  Which do you use and why?  Would you recommend either of these to teachers?

• Re: Facebook or Twitter?
          glen_w

I am actively involved in both Facebook and Twitter. In my opinion, each of these social networks has a different application.

My Facebook involvement is mainly with family and friends. We communicate about activities each is doing, share pictures, and play some competitive games. I would describe these as social friendship activities.

Twitter on the other hand is more of what I would term a social messaging activity. I, @gardenglen, am actively involved with many people on Twitter. Through Twitter I have developed collaborative groups for my students. I completed one project with a teacher from Alabama who I met via Twitter). I have since been asked to have teachers from three other states join us next year in this project. In the last month, I received an invite to join another science activity by other science teachers on Twitter.To make this interesting I posted this question on Twitter: "How would you describe Twitter in 5 words or less?" The results are posted as one of my Classroom 2.0 blog posts.

Thank you, Glen!

I checked out your Twitter in five words or less page.  It was interesting to see the great variety of words used to express Twitter.

Not having used either Twitter or Facebook, I was not really sure of the difference either.  I am hearing, more and more, the same distinction you have made.  Facebook is for family and friends to share pictures and updates, where as Twitter is to keep informed about a topics of interest, hobby, or profession.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              vkajones

I have both a Twitter and a Facebook account. I have to admit that I probably do not use both on a regular basis.  What I did find recently was an

Interesting line from Facebook's updated terms of service agreement. The emphasis is mine.

You hereby grant Facebook an irrevocable,  perpetual , non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license ( with the right to sublicense ) to (a)  use, copy, publish, stream, store, retain, publicly perform or display, transmit, scan, reformat, modify, edit, frame, translate, excerpt, adapt, create derivative works and distribute (through multiple tiers), any User Content you (i) Post on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof subject only to your privacy settings or (ii) enable a user to Post, including by offering a Share Link on your website and (b) to use your name, likeness and image for any purpose, including commercial or advertising, each of (a) and (b) on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof.

Scary! So Facebook owns your content even after you close your account and can sell it, and anything posted on your site, while or after you are a member.

vkajones

Good news. Facebook posted the following on their website this morning...

Terms of Use Update

Over the past few days, we have received a lot of feedback about the new terms we posted two weeks ago. Because of this response, we have decided to return to our previous Terms of Use while we resolve the issues that people have raised. For more information, visit the Facebook Blog.

If you want to share your thoughts on what should be in the new terms, check out our group Facebook Bill of Rights and Responsibilities.

This is good to know.

Vanessa