23 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2010 6:08 PM by abuan

Ask an Expert - Intel® Teach Elements: Project-Based Approaches

julesfischy

Our content experts are here to answer your questions about the Intel® Teach Elements: Project-Based Approaches. Click Reply to ask your questions.

• Elements: how can we use it now?
          Bonnie Feather

I hope this is the best place for this comment/ question!  I am so excited about this little course, and at the Summit, I truly thought we were told that it's OK for us to use the course at this time, even though it is not yet *finished, and will undergo further changes.

I showed it to an MIS director, who was excited to get it out to a group of teachers in her district, so I double-checked with Theresa and I'm told "the course downloaded at the US Summit may not be used; it was for preview and feedback purposes only. You will need to wait until the final course is released later in the year. "

I understand this position, but I think there may be others out there who came away from the summit with the same impression I did.  I hope this clarifies it for others.

And I can hardly WAIT until we can use it!

Bonnie

• Re: Elements: how can we use it now?
              aebatey

I am so glad you brought this up, Bonnie.   While it's great to know that you are rarin' and ready to use the course as is--it is NOT done and would ask that everyone consider the bega version you have/reviewed as temporary and for demonstration purposes only.  Thanks to all the detailed ST feedback before and during Summit, there is a hefty list of revisions and improvements that we are planning to implement before we release the course.  We intend to have final self-paced version ready by the beginning of the summer '09 training season.  We are also preparing a facilitation guide and guidelines with alternative agendas for offering a facilitated course. 

NaomiHarm

Greetings everyone!  I just introduced the Teach Elements to 40 educators in western, WI in August as a pilot as part of an EETT grant.  I set up a wiki to pose the discussion questions for each module- and it is working  well.  I put the "carrot" out there too- as each educator can earn 2 grad credits from one of our local universities for their efforts as well.  The discussions are so rich and deep- this is better than I could have ever imagined!

We immersed this course as part of a technology grant where each school district also earned a 21st century teaching and learning environment equipment package, to have the immediate tools at their hands into their technology infuse Intel Teach lesson.  So far so good.  The tech package for each district included: A Smartboard, LCD projector with ceiling mount hanger, blue tooth Smart connector, 32 unit classroom response system,12 wireless Netbooks, 4 GB jumpdrives, and a web cam.  Yes indeed- our classrooms are very happy!

Naomi Harm

that is great- thanks for sharing Naomi!

How exciting! Thats great Naomi.  Your feedback, as well as feedback from 8 other pilots led by ITAs this summer, has been very helpful and incredibly positive.  Tom Diener in NY is now preparing to deliver the course a second time, this time using eLuminate teleconferecing for the "FTF" portion, the rest online.  Hey Tom, tell us more!

The Facilitation Guide will be revised and released this Fall.  Meanwhile, the SECOND Elements course is taking shape, on Assessment in the 21st Century Classroom.

tdiener

We had great success with our first  Facilitated Elements Course: Project Based Approaches. We used Moodle to deliver the instruction, and held pre and post face-to-face meetings (two hours each). The anticipated time to complete the course with the self-pace eLearning, action plan, and facilitated discussions is 19 hours. In New York State we follow the formula: 15 hours of instruction equals one inservice credit. From the start we were over the required hours, and felt the experience would probably take most teachers even more time. The average participant's experience was 21 hours. At a wrap-up session, everyone commented on the time requirement for 1 inservice credit, but ALL felt it was an excellent and worthwhile experience. Here are a few findings:

• 100%  Found the course provided them with a good understanding of Project Based Learning.

• 100%  Found that strategies they learned would help them change teacher practice in integrating project-based approaches in a new manner.

• 100%  Found this course helped them gain a better understanding of assessments.

• 100% Found this course helped them gain a better understanding of 21st Century Skills.  

• 85 %  Felt this course helped them gain a better understanding of technology integration. 

• 100%  Felt the eLearning self-paced instruction contributed to their overall learning. 

• 100%  Felt the Action Plan contributed to their overall learning. 

• 100%  Felt the Discussions contributed to their overall learning. 

Best  of all:

• 100%  Of the participants would take another Facilitated Elements Course.

• 100%  Of the participants would recommend this course to other teachers.

We'll start a second session later this month. We're replacing the face-to-face pre and post sessions with pre and post Elluminate webinars. To manage time, we'll encourage participants to concentrate  Action Plans on their needs and emphasize that an Action Plan is not a Unit Plan.

We're off to a great start, and look forward to our second course offering and the next Elements "roll-out".

We would appeciate hearing about your Element's Experiences.

NaomiHarm

Tom- thank you so very much for the detailed feedback you have shared through teaching the new Teach Elements PBA course.  This information will definitely assist my and others efforts as we continue with this new PBA course work.  I delivered two days of face-to-face time in two separate regions in WI with 40 educators.  Since we embedded this coursework in as part of our EETT grant, we also focused on the immersion and training of a 21st century technology equipment package to support the educators efforts of providing the appropriate tools to meet the needs of the content and action plan deliverables. So overall, my training was a little more diverse, but still focused on the content of the course to drive the action plan!

The blended online learning environment we are using is a Wikispace.  The discussion threads are proving to be highly effective and the quality of the reflections are truly amazing to see the "aha" moments, transformations of best practices, and interactive share sessions!  We also meet virtually online during the months of Sept., Oct. and Nov. to save on travel dollars and to showcase the best practice of communication tools of Skype and Tokbox http://www.tokbox.com for up to 20 video sites to be online at one time.  Here is a demo of Tokbox also works with Etherpad http://etherpad.com/ to instantly communicate on a common document for free: http://blog.tokbox.com/2009/08/26/collaboration-moves-to-the-next-level/

I do though- have a few reluctant teachers- perhaps the "few complainers or in WI we call them the whiners" because they are not getting enough "cheese" with their whine :-) It takes baby steps to work with these few individuals, so once again we always try to find out what they are truly "passionate" about to make change in their classrooms.  Once I make that immediate connection with them and "their world," I have them hooked and introduce a wiki or a blog to them to support their PD efforts or provide more background knowledge through these venues to support their interests.

Tom- I see your assessment data in your blog and your findings- did you generate the questions yourself or are using a pre/post assessment from Intel?

I am attaching my pre/post assessment survey as a PDF I am using with my 40 teachers in my 2009-2010 EETT grant.  This provides me a broad overview of their tech literacy proficiency/skill sets and tech integration knowledge, and lends itself to make individual connections to assist teachers at all levels.  It is NETS aligned with the Teacher standards.  I created this as a Google Survey which also include teacher demographics, and the end results, as you may know, collates all of my results, which can be easily cross compared with existing data sets- and my post assessment results for accountability purposes for our state auditing/accountability of the state ed tech grant.

Thank you so much for sharing your results with all of us!  I greatly appreciate your efforts!

Naomi Harm

NaomiHarm

Steve- can you tell us more of when the new second elements course will be released focus on assessment?  FYI- I am know writing three more 21st century skills/ed tech grants for our WI educators and administrators, and would like to include the Teach Elements PBA , Leadership Forum, and the second course on assessment in if possible.  I will find out by Thanksgiving if the grants I write will be funded.  FYI- WI has done a nice job to include the Intel courses in as part of the "requirement" in order to get funding from the ed tech grants- great partnership for everyone!

Naomi Harm

I'm very excited about the next installment of Elements!  The second Element will focus on Assessment in the 21st century Classroom.  It should be available for order/streaming and for ITAs to pilot in a facilitated course this Fall, probably late October.  We'll send news as soon as we more information.

NaomiHarm

Steve- how is the online course of Assessments for the 21st Century Classroom coming?  I am building it into 3 new technology grants I am writing and that have been approved by our Wisconsin ITA.  Is there a live website up to run a pilot yet this Fall?  Secondly, is the Teach Elements-PBA teacher guide ready yet?

Appreciate your assistance with these questions and am so exciting to start the launch of these course in the Midwest!

Naomi

Naomi,

Are you requiring that your participants submit their action plans to earn the graduate credit? Sounds like a fantastic grant!

NaomiHarm

Yes- in order for teachers to earn the two graduate credits that are approved with our local university for the Teach Elements PBA course- they have to complete all discussion threads within the wiki, plus respond to at least two other teachers per discussion with quality reflections, and complete and submit their action plan to me for grading purposes.  Our teachers in WI are putting in close to 30 + hours with this course. I am attaching and embedding the the rubric below that I have embedded into our course wiki to showcase how ALL reflections need to be of "high quality." I am a stickler for perfection- this may be my flaw, but I truly believe educators need to be held to the highest of standards and generate quality results in order to impact/improve student and teacher achievement.

Naomi Harm

REFLECTION CRITERIA.png

Naomi,

Thanks for sharing the rubric. I can see how having such an instrument would encourage robust discussions, thus making the course much more meaningful and effective.

I am in total agreement about producing quality work as educators in order to expect the same of our students and to impact learning. Educators are often terrible students in professional development courses by not holding our selves to high standards in learning and sharing. This is opposite of what we teach our students. Very good point!

Awesome rubric Naomi.  There's no question about earning that graduate credit!

tdiener

Naomi, When you say the participants spend 30 plus hours in the course...do you mean just the Elements course? As I said in my inital post the average time for our participants was around 21 hours. We would really like it to be a 15 hour experience. The Action Plan took the most time. In the future we'll remind participants to focus the plan on their needs and  remind them... it's an action plan not a unit plan. Any suggestions for getting the time down would be appreciated. I'm thinking of using an Anticipation Guide at the beginning of the class.

• Intel® Teach Elements: Project-Based Approaches
                                        Bonnie Feather

In my position, I am often called upon to assist teachers in preparing their proposals for a $10,000 grant that is awarded several times a year in Arizona.  As an awardee in the first round, some years ago, I have been called upon to read proposals as well, so I think I have been able to provide good advice and proofreading.

The grant requires that the proposal defines a "project."  I have found that many teachers who set out to write a proposal really have no idea what PBL is and what constitutes a "project."  So, since we  were shown the course, I have shown it to all prospective proposal writers to give them a clearer idea of PBL.  I'm happy to say that I have now assisted 7 other teachers in writing successful proposals!

This is not the original intent of the course, I feel certain, however since the teachers who have used it in this way have learned about PBL (the original intent, after all) and they have implemented projects as a result, it's been a great success!

Go, Elements!  I can't wait to see the one on Assessments!

Bonnie

• Re: Ask an Expert - Intel® Teach Elements: Project-Based Approaches
                                          tdiener

I see that the "offical" Elements Facilitation Guide is due sometime in October. I thought an "unofficial" guide was available and posted either here or in the ITA community, but for the-life-of-me I can not locate it. Is the unofficial guide posted somewhere? If so, can someone provide me with its location? Many thanks!

• Re: Ask an Expert - Intel® Teach Elements: Project-Based Approaches
                                            abuan

Thank you the Faciitation Guide. The guide helped me how to deliver the training effectively. During the face to face training utilized the community site and created a group for the purpose of training. The group feauture of Teacher Engage Community supports peer feedback and it helped the participants to improve their outputs. For the participants summarized their action plan for implementation, shared a template on project plan implementation with the following contents: ( A. Project Idea   B. Standards  C. 21st Century Skills addressed  D. Objectives. E. CFQs. F. Assessment Timeline and Purposes. G. Implementation Timeline) The document will help then implement their project in one to pages document. The contents of this template they just cut and paste from their action plan.