21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2012 2:30 PM by richardkoh

What browser do you use at school?

mdconley57

The Intel Education Technical Team needs your input! They’re exploring classroom use of different web browsers. A review of Engage community data from the last six months shows that the most popular browser used for accessing the community is Internet Explorer (Figure 1 below), and the most popular version is version 6 (Figure 2 below).

Is this different than your use in the classroom or for any your other job functions?

Please help us by replying to this discussion with answers to one or more of the following questions:

• What browser do you use most frequently at school?
      • Do you use a different browser for instructional activities with students than you use for other work (grade book, email, school/district intranet, etc.)?
      • If you use Internet Explorer (IE), have you upgraded to IE9? If not, do you know if your school/district intends to upgrade in the future?
      • Do you have access to other browsers, such as Firefox, Chrome, or Safari?
      • Are you allowed to download “non-standard” software of your choosing (such as the browsers mentioned above, or programs such as Adobe Air) to your school/district computer, or must you request it? If you must request it, how difficult is the process and how confident are you that such a request would be granted?

Thank you very much for your input!

browser ranking.gif

Figure 1

IE Version.gif

Figure 2

• Re: What browser do you use at school?

Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrone

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            sadiasyed

Both Google Chrome and Mozila Firefox are used at my institute but I personally feel comfortable with Google Chrome

mdconley57

Here is an interesting article  related to this discussion that wonders if the "battle between browsers" is over.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/the-battle-between-the-browsers-might-be-over/19447?tag=nl.e550

IE9 is the only browser we use and we are not allowed to download anything to our computers.  They've even disabled the ability to download Office templates directly from the Office site.  We have to copy and paste.

mdconley57

Thank you for the responses!

Who in the community have situations similar to Karen's? Lack of flexibility seems to be the rule rather than the exception anymore.

cgardne

There has been some positive movement in the rural schools where I live.  I know that IE9, Firefox and even Chrome are now being installed and available for use.   Students and staff are now able to have the option between two browsers.  I know that some browsers create problems for some online school management systems, so it's a good thing to have that option now available.

vkajones

I would say it is about 1/2 IE and 1/2 Firefox. Most Mac users use Safari. There is a small movement toward Chrome. I never use Internet Explorer. I find it sometimes does not play well with some Web 2.0 tools.  I use Firefox, followed by Safari and Chrome. Sometimes I use AOL Browser. Teachers are able to download browsers, but many do not.

Vanessa

mdconley57

Thanks for all the replies! I know I base my browser choices on a combination of personal interface preference and organizational requirements (some of our web-based tools only play well in IE). For those of you who have a choice, do you know of resources that could help choose the best browser for a particular activity or task?

lwenske

i use my macbook pro, so i use firefox to access engage.  i use it almost exclusively.  however, i use safari if firefox is down or having issues.  when i use my iPad, iPod touches or iPhone (i'm a bit of a mac maniac), i use safari, of course.  when i'm at school though, (we're PC), i use IE (not sure about the version--i'll look).  i prefer firefox, probably b/c of my mac.  and, for some reason, IE doesn't work well with my class's PBWorks wiki on my dell latitude laptop, so when accessing it, my students use firefox.  so...i'm a bit multi-browser.  firefox is probably my favorite.  but...engage does load kind of slowly on my mac laptop, so maybe it's a browser issue---i'm going to try to logon at school using IE and see if there's a difference.

My students use firefox and IE. Firefox works better with pbworks (as Lisa pointed out). I used to use firefox but when I last upgraded (about 6 months ago) there were glitches, so I started using Google Chrome. We use Safari on the iPads and iTouch. Google Chrome is not compatible with our district's Gradebook program (frustrating) and is mostly compatible with our district webmail.

So, we are a multi-browser community.

• Re: What browser do you use at school? Interesting finds!
                              tlmaves

Jump in on the conversation here. It is interesting to see what schools are doing worldwide over something as unassuming as a browser. Yet it has such impact on what you can view on the Web. I am glad to see that schools seems to be keeping up with the latest browsers if they do lock them down. And many schools are allowing multiple browsers. Let us know your district's policy

We mostly use Google Chrome and some use Mozilla Firefox.  Interestingly enough the internal budget programs and student reporting software are only available for IE and not even the latest version.   Ah, well...at least we can use whichever we want.  Most of the districts we serve choose one to support but allow others. 

We actually use a variety of browsers because different sites have different requirements and do not easily tranfer between browsers.  So, we use IE8 (XP)and IE9 (Win7), Firefox, and Chrome.  Some users also use Safari.  Though supporting different browsers is sometimes a bit tedious, I have found that more they use different browsers, the more likely they are to try and solve issues themselves. It has also led to them trying multiple programs for other tasks as well: MS Office, Open Office, iWork, etc. 

We used to have a policy of downloading "nonstandard" software, but things change so much and so frequently that we have all but abandoned any kind of "good list/bad list."  I basically let my folks install what they want, but they know they might not get support for software they add to a computer.

In Pakistan the scenario is different as there are 5 provinces and each has there own management strategies, the province i work is Punjab which has 6000 high schools, out of these 1790 schools have N- computing  technology labs, with 15 computers and one server having wi-fi environment, but administrator the IT lab incharge has no rights to allow the user or use her self, hence no browsing, govt  deptt  education site and yahoo can be accessed by the administrator but google  can not be accessed. where ever intel trainings are conducted i have approached the N computing labs security and have obtained the access for the studnets and teachers , and they have enjoyed working . But some schools do allow  during trainings but as soon the trainings are over there is again no access.To date the schools working with full browsing are   tentatively 30% , but now IT teachers them selves try to get feed back from collegues and now do have access to browsing more. The browser used is Mozilla firefox

glen_w

I use FIrefox and Chrome equally at work. I, however, also have an OLD Firefox 3.6 version I am required to use for ALL data reviews for the district and my school. This becomes frustrating when my school's IT person reminds me that I should NOT be using the Old Firefox version. These others are used less commonly: Safari, Flock, Opera, and Camino.

MrsSmoke

We use all three Chrome, IE9. and Firefox.  Firefox is the default for the computers, however.

I can add any software needed to the classroom computers - such a blessing!