31 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2012 7:32 AM by glen_w

Do you have your DRIVE yet?

glen_w

Today Google rolled out the Google Drive. From what I've learned, Drive is similar to Dropbox and SkyDrive. Google Drive is supposed to integrate with collaboration. I checked on my Drive and it is currently not yet enabled. I clicked the link to let me know when my Drive becomes enabled. I don't think it is possible to have too many cloud storage locations - especially for free.

Has your Drive been enabled yet? What are your experiences with Drive so far? How does it compare to other cloud storage options?

• Re: Do you have your DRIVE yet?
          fbobo

Hello

I signed up about noon central time and my drive is now active, late tonight. I will give it a spin in the morning.

Bonnie Feather

One of the reasons I love this community is that I always hear about new, helpful ideas here first. I clicked to be notified when my drive is ready! I agree, Glen- we need to take advantage of as many cloud storage options as we can keep track of.

And, a word to the wise- don't store documents listing all of your passwords and login information on them. Remember when Dropbox was compromised?

~Bonnie

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              glen_w

WOOT, WOOT!

DRIVE was activated on my Google account today. I've played a little, but have not yet found everything I can do with it yet. Bonnie makes an excellent point about being careful what you put on a cloud drive. My philosophy is always that I will not upload anything to the cloud that I want to keep secure.

Glen, just sent in my request for my Drive.  Thanks for alerting us about this.

Neil

• I have my drive!!!
                  Bonnie Feather

wow!...looks like Google colorful...wait...is that?...really?..  ...  ...   slow audible intake of breath...IT'S MY GOOGLE DOCS!!! All right there already with colors and folders and everything I already set up!!!

Woo hoo- I have to take a closer look at this!

Stay tuned for further developments- I believe we are going to LIKE this!

Now go get your DRIVE activated!

~Bonnie

• Re: I have my drive!!!
                      Bonnie Feather

Looky here...it has an app store which adds apps to Chrome! Hmmm, there's an Education tag. And it has academic resources as well as teacher & admin resources. Come on in, y'all- the water is looking pretty good!

Bonnie

• Re: I have my drive!!!
                        glen_w

Bonnie,

Yes, I found all my Google docs are on my Drive. I was also thrilled that all my files & folders migrated easily.

I played a little today with sharing files and was glad to know how well it works. I'm not sure I like Drive better than Dropbox - but am willing to continue testing it to see what I can do...

If you could do ANYTHING with Drive, what would you like it to do for you?

erroth

I have requested my DRIVE. Thanks for the tip. I'll get back with my review.

lsrdhunter@msn.com

I agree with you, Glenn.  It's very nice to have so many storage options out there.  I use them all... that is all the free ones!  With SkyDrive, DropBox, iCloud, Box.net, Google Drive... how do you keep track of which drive (storage area) has what information?  

glen_w

Linda,

The variety of cloud storage tools can be daunting when first looked at. I first look at how I can/want to share with someone. Once that feature is identified, I determine the cloud drive to best meet this need. For example, if my student teacher is using Gmail, I will use my Google Drive with him/her. If someone I already share with is partial to Dropbox, that is my cloud storage choice.

I carefully organize folders and multiple levels of subfolders on my main computer as well as each of my cloud devices. The naming structure makes it easy for me to identify where a file can/should be found. For example ... "Shared with Bob" ... may contain a "7th Grade Science" subfolder with more subfolders labeled "assessments, activities, labs, lessons, and multimedia." One complaint I sometimes get from some teachers consider my folder structure to be almost CDO (that's the alphabetical version of OCD).

lsrdhunter@msn.com

Glen, I like your flexibility and willingness to use the most appropriate cloud storage for the job or the collaborating individuals. I also like the way you organize your folders and sub folders.

I used a different approach.  I open my storage drive and take a screen shot of the file structure which becomes my index for that drive.  I repeat this procedure for each storage drive I am using.  When complete I print out the pages and place them in a notebook for future reference.  This practice has helped me locate files quickly when needed.

I am always looking for a better way.  Thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

glen_w

I know a lot of people who use screenshots of their drives to locate files. I get lost when I'm around paperwork and prefer to have file structure that makes sense for me. It really confuses some people. My student teachers this year LOVED putting all files on the desktop and it was hard for me to figure out what their organization pattern was.

glen_w

We've got another one to add to this list: Dropcanvas. I signed up today and have not had a lot of time to play yet. I, however, was excited to see their front page claims: "The fastest way to share content this side of the galaxy."

Let me know if you try Dropcanvas and how it works for you.

tdiener

I guess everyone now knows Google Drive is available to everyone. When you sign in...you now see Drive rather then Docs in the menu. Drive is also now part of Google Apps For Education. (How many of you have a Google Apps For Education Account registered to your school?) I think the real big news from Google this week is: On-Air is now available to everyone. On-Air means you can broadcast your Hangouts to as many people as you want. (You're still limited to 10 people in the Hangout...but everyone can watch the procedings.) This is huge! A free webinar service! When I think about it...10 people in a webinar is a perfect number  if you want to leverage interaction between participants.

So I am just giving this a try and one thing that I really like is that when you upload a file to Google Drive it gives you the option to convert that file to Google Docs for sharing. I never liked that with dropbox the original file is removed from your computer's hard drive and is only in Dropbox. Hmmmm...I wonder what other features I will like or dislike. Anyone else have any feedback on the comparison of Google Drive to other drives like dropbox?

glen_w

Susan,

One of the interesting aspects of Drive is that any documents created in Google Docs DO NOT seem to count toward your 5 GB total. I also like how the app on my computer allows me edit Google Docs when I am off-line. (This is similar to what Dropbox allows me to do.)

perkinsde

Google Drive = Google docs + Dropbox. I love it!  Since I find myself taking more and more pictures on my iPhone, one of the Google Drive features I was really excited about is the ability to automatically upload and store photos and where each photo can have a unique url for sharing without friends/family having to sign up for something to view it. I have to admit, though, that I decided to go with Dropbox on this feature since they are offering up to 3 GB of additional free storage (500 MB at a time) for camera uploads. I agree with you, Glen; I'll take all of the free storage I can get.

deafteach

I just got my drive.  It will take some time this summer to get in and drive it around (haha)

glen_w

Just discovered the "link" option at the right of my folders and files in Dropbox. This link can be "given to others" making this file or folder "shared" without giving each individual the sharing rights. WARNING! If others share this link, it can be viewed by someone you may not have been planning on. As always, be careful what you share!

On a related note ...If you upload photos to your Dropbox account from either the Android OS app, or through folders on your Windows or Mac, you get bonus storage (up to 3 GB!)

How can you increase your use of the cloud based on this new information?