21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 9:13 PM by cgardne

Rolling Video in the Classroom

lsrdhunter@msn.com

Imagery provides the foundation on which to build vocabulary and concepts.  The use of imagery is an important ingredient to the learning process. 

Students love to make their own videos using cell phones, iPads with web cams, and portable video cameras. 

What are the advantages and challenges of using video to illustrate the curriculum content and concepts being taught?  

Let’s keep it rolling… and be creative.

Share some great ideas for the use of video in the math, science, language arts, and social studies classrooms?

• Re: Rolling Video in the Classroom
          erroth

We live in the video/digital age. Video can be quite engaging and can illustrate ideas, topics, concepts in incredible ways. Student-made videos require the students be thoroughly know their topic, find ways to emphasize the critical elements in a clear and accurate way, and be creative enough to engage the audience.

Challenges include finding videos that fit the needs of the students, that are appropriate for a classroom setting, that are accurate, that are engaging, and that don't dumb down the topic but don't go over the students' heads. The challenges for student-made videos include time, hardware/software, and getting students to understand what the critical elements are (for ex, they may think something is cool, but it has nothing to do with the message).

Here are three of the most recent videos I have used in class (I teach fourth grade and we are in the middle of our Life Sciences unit):

Evolution of skin color

Here are links to a couple of student-make commercials for their Clayton Shopping Mall stores:

Fun and Games

JSB Wands

I love to see teachers use video without the sound. I know that sounds crazy but we have a science who has students create their own science documentaries from Discovery Ed videos. She takes the sound out of the videos and the students have to produce their own mashups with them and narrate them. What a fabulous Earth Day project! 

glen_w

Susan,

I also appreciate showing videos without sound. I also often remove the sound from videos I take during class. I challenge my students to write the narrative to go along with the video we watch.

I've attached a short video of our classroom Lava Lamp. Just one example of what I ask students to narrate.

I think it would be fun for us to all upload silent videos as examples of what we can have students narrate.

glen_w

Another silent video from my classroom . I showed this video to my students and gave them an interesting writing assignment. Students were to write a "news anchor" story that would play with the video. Prior to the writing, we discussed what a "lead story was." I've included a few of my favorite student responses.

1. “We have a very exciting experiment today. We are knocking down a line of chairs. Not one by one, but by pushing one chair! The energy of that falling chair will be transferred to others causing them to fall.”
                  2. “You may have noticed that these chairs falling is not your usual domino effect. They seem to bounce before falling. This is because the chair that knocks it over also closes it. The chair cannot fall without being closed.”
                  3. “This esquisite demonstration of the mass of the chairs and how gravity comes in to show as we say ‘Dominoes falling.’ More at 6:00 pm.”
                  4. “Students at Orem Junior High are experimenting with chairs. When dominoes are lined up, they create a cause & effect result. Why not use chairs?”

All right...this post has inspired me to do a session on teachers creating video for the classroom. It is hands on so I will be looking for tools without a login. Should be fun. I will share my presentation (after I start it...LOL). 3 days to pull it together...YIKES! I think sometimes a video can have a larger impact if it is teacher created rather than student created....do you see a need for both in the classroom? Why?

glen_w

Good luck on the presentation! I find there are times for my teacher-created videos. Most of these videos show time-lapse that would take a LONG time for students to see. I think there is a good place for student-created videos. I like to allow my students to demonstrate knowledge in the videos they create. One of my favorite student examples was done by some learning disabled students. They were asked to demonstrate one of the states of matter. Their video showed bubbles rising in a fish tank. The voice over talked about how air is a gas and is in motion as demonstrated by the bubbles rising through water.

What other student created videos can be shared with the group?