1 Reply Latest reply on May 12, 2012 8:15 PM by lwenske

The Experience of "Digital" (Content)

blancaedu

Digital content pervades most of our daily lives. We consume it, we interact with it, we create it. But what about life before digital content? How many of our students will actually remember what it's like to write a letter or play a board game? With so much of our children's lives requiring more digital (not less) content (think e-books and tests) what will our schools look like?

Have you ever altered a lesson activity to reflect digital content? or Have you required students to create a product in a digital form that they once created by hand? What (if any) difference did you notice in their experience? What evidence can you point that shows learning was impacted?

http://www.webstock.org.nz/09/images/atl/digitalnz.gif

• Re: The Experience of "Digital" (Content)
          lwenske

This is a short example, but I now have my first graders "record" a math story problem using Voki, and we embed those on our class wiki.  These are a huge hit, as students love to see and hear Voki characters, plus the digital content is super exciting for them; they also pick up tech. skills using embed codes and our wiki.  Also, the communication and collaboration that can occur online on the wiki also feeds and fuels the discussion.  We've even used Voki to read our Mother's Day letters.  Also, super exciting...plus, then, moms visit the wiki and comment on students' pages, etc.  Digital content can move discussions and learning forward in all sorts of meaningful, motivating, and exciting ways, I think.