5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2012 2:24 PM by tvrzak

How Much Performance Data is Good For the Average Student?

I am currently taking the Intel Elements - Data and Leadership course. While I was going through the material, this question popped up in my mind. How much performance data should we had-feed to our students? I teach high school English and felt that this last school year I did not do a great job keeping students informed as to their current performance levels. I did promote to the students to log on to my online gradebook as often as they can or remember to. Now, I am wondering, since students receive so much data on a data basis and are used to it, should I provide them with their performance data as often as possible. Expecting them to lookup the data is not happening because it is work for them. Send them their performance data is just like recieving a text message; the students are so used to that.

I am curious as to how others feel about this issue. How much data on performance is good for the student? How often should we give that data to the student?

Your feedbac is greatly appreciated.

NEWMAN

• Re: How Much Performance Data is Good For the Average Student?
          lwenske

I think that data performance information can be a wonderful tool for students, parents and teachers, alike.  It can help students understand where they are, whether they need to work on certain areas, and can keep them attuned to progress they've made or are making.  This can also help parents in these ways as well.  The information can also be, hugely, helpful to the teacher in planning and subsequent teaching.  However, I do worry about students who are struggling constantly--what types of performance data are we referring to?  If its a very young learner, and they are constantly being given feedback that shows/tells them that they are below grade level or struggling or not doing well enough--then, too many data points may cause some hindrances in motivation, attitude, performance and overall feelings about school.  Of course, this can also happen with older students.  I think there needs to be balance.  We need lots of data, but we need it for sound decision-making and instruction.

glen_w

I gave students a LOT of data feedback during this past year. One of my favorite methods was to share details on what benchmarks students passed on a test. I did not give them just a score ... rather provided information related to the student performance on each benchmark. I personally invited students to see me and get personalized help so they could learn and retake tests on the material they did not know. As a result of this constant feedback, my students passed our state test at a proficiency level of 88% (7th grade students) and 93% (9th grade students.)

Performance data could be qualitative or quantitative and should be given throughout the whole year. For our school, we provide qualitative feedback as a form of formative assessment on student performance after every task and usually quantitative feedback (with some written comments) after every standardized tests. For the higher stakes assessments usually at the end of a term or semester, we provide mainly quantitative data to students and parents.

Performance data is important for students and parents I agree with the posts that have said that, On the other hand, having children in college and seeing that a lot (more that I expected so was surprised) of professors did not put grades in their grade books was difficult for my children who were so use to getting regular feedback on grades and assignments.  I believe that parents and students are so dependent at looking on-line for grades that they have difficulty dealing with it when they are not posted.  Now I am not saying we should stop sharing the data with them in the forms we use to show performance, but I don't think it hurts that it is not immediate as my children are finding that out after high school. Teaching our students to not be afraid to approach a teacher and find out how they are doing is a skill that we are leaving behind.  They need to take ownership in their data and seek it out if it is not there.  Just my opinion!