13 Replies Latest reply on Oct 28, 2010 9:21 PM by holmesg

Recent article claims 1:1 laptops causes student grades to lower

MrsSmoke
        • Re: Recent article claims 1:1 laptops causes student grades to lower
          sshott

So they actually pay people to come up with a comment such as the following:

In general, the authors argue, the benefits of laptops come in cases where the larger educational program has been redesigned to incorporate their unique capabilities, and the teachers have been trained in order to better integrate laptop use into the wider educational experience.

Is this such a "no duh" or am I way off base??????  Teachers trained on a new teaching/learning modality - wow - what a unique thought!!

tdiener

My office just started a new one-on-one initiative. As you "guys" mention, it doesn't take much intelligence to figure out that one-on-one computing does not automatically guarantee increased student performance. Training is essential for success, and I think, not only for the teachers, but for the parents of the students involved too.

To me the article just repeats the agruments once given in "Seeing No Progress, Some Schools Drop Laptop" publication in New York Times - http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/04/education/04laptop.html

It is obvious that laptops and all the mobile solutions are just tools and can not substitute for the teacher's personality. What actially needs to be discussed, I think, is the way the system of assessment should be adjasted to the modern tools and strategies. Should the one-on-one classroom be assessed only by the test results? If not what is the alternative?

tdiener

The May 2009 issue of Tech and Learning has an Intel Classmate PC on the cover, and reviewed the netbook on page 23 http://www.techlearning.com/CurrentIssue. This was the first time I heard about this unit so I went online to find out more. I pleased to find a lot more information at http://www.intel.com/intel/LearningSeries.htm . Has anyone here actually used one of these netbooks? The tablet feature is pretty cool!

may_tl_cover.jpg

intelclassmate.jpg

glen_w

I am not able to respond directly to the 1:1 situation. I, however, have the opportunity to teach in a situation where I have a 1 laptop for every 2 students. I have closely monitored the changes found in their grades in my classroom. I find that overall, these grades basically the same as they were prior to having the laptops. I also looked at the results of our state testing. I was told as I began teaching using laptops and following the eMints concepts that scores should drop and be lower for one or two years. I saw a slight drop in scores during the first year. During the second year, I saw scores go back to where they were the year prior to obtaining the laptops. I think one reason grades may drop may be due to teachers having new technology in the classroom. These teachers may or may not have received the necessary Professional Development Offerings to be successful. In my opinion, I believe that any 1:1 laptop initiatives should be started in classrooms with well-prepared teachers. These professionals should have knowledge in both pedagogy and technology to be successful.

holmesg

In order to have a successful 1:1 teachers must change how they teach and view technology.  We can not expect growth if we give students computers but continue as "talking heads". We are currently implementing a 1:1.  Computers will arrive next year.  We have already started professional development.  Our first workshop was INTEL Essentials.  We want to look at the lesson design, integration across the curriculum, literacy and how we can meet the goals with technology driving it.  It has been so successful and I can already see changes in how teachers think.  It is important to know that according to research, grades will go down the first year of a 1:1 implementation.  After the first year, growth is progressive.