10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 17, 2009 10:20 AM by brendabradford

Water Cooler

tdiener

Have something to say, but are not really sure where to say it! Say it in the Water Cooler. Just like in the office sometimes the most engaging (Ok entertaining) conversations starts at the water cooler.

• Re: Water Cooler
          tdiener

Thinking With Technology Senior Training

March 24,25,26, 2009

Chicago

Scrapblog Album http://www.scrapblog.com/2D15482B-2C6A/0E29677B-FB50

I can't seem to embed the code correctly and I know that scrapblog does not require a plug in. If you click on the link above you'rr go to the album at the Scapblog website. The digital scrapbook will appear as a slideshow. Below are the static images from the scrapbook.

scrap4.jpg

scrap5.jpg

scrap6.jpg

glen_w

Not having seen Scrapblog before, I was impressed with the widget. In many ways, it reminds me of Twitter. Conversations on Twitter are similar to the conversations at a Water Cooler. Some conversations may be trivial in nature while others are much deeper and lead to major decisions or forward movement. As Senior Trainers, we are trying to help individuals become familiar with technology and how to infuse it into daily life. I'm confident that any method resulting in deeper conversations between teachers is important. Teachers consistently try to help their students become deeper thinkers as well. One of the important requirements for trainers and teachers is to provide tools that students can/will use to share their thinking with one another the process is moving forward. Many of these tools are Web 2.0 in nature - thus the concepts taught in Essentials.

tdiener

I like the connection you make between Twitter and Scrapblog. As you can see from my entry above (Chicago TWT), I have a problem embedding the HTML Code here. I'll work on it. You should be seeing the scrapbook in presentation form.

holmesg

The large number of similar tools available on the web keeps my head spinning.  Just as soon as I get comfortable with one, a similar but more innovative one appears. I have not explored scrapblog yet, but I have been playing around with (grou.ps) http://grou.ps/ghholmes.  I like the fact that it is free, without advertisements and I can upload video, pictures and it has a blog and wiki component.  I am trying to find the right site that does everything and also provides me the option to have students access the site without an email address.  I want to be able to assign user names and passwords within the site.  If you know of one, let me know.

julesfischy

Gail- could you check your link- I tried going to the site and it could not be found. . . I too would love to find out about a site that does it all and doesn't require e-mail addresses - that is so hard when students can't have e-mail addresses- but they are taking photos to share.

glen_w

After playing around with grou.ps site, I was able to figure out Gail's link problem. The correct link is http://grou.ps/ghholmes. I like how Gail discusses the importance of online professional development in today's economy. Her post strongly encourages people to take part in the 21st Century e-Teacher which is a free online professional development course that can be used to transform teachers into 21st Century while providing CEU credit. Good post Gail.

vkajones

I like the "Water Cooler" concept. Thanks for sharing examples of Scapblog. I'm about to try it out.

Vanessa

tdiener

NECC anyone. Who's going to DC at the end of the month? What are you looking forward to seeing and participating in there?

glen_w

Thomas,

I am so excited that I will be at NECC this summer. I look forward to interacting with fellow teachers who share a passion for implementing technology into classrooms. Each conference I attend, I try to find ONE thing I can implement into my classroom. Each NECC conference I attend, I find 6-12 things I can implement. I like that this allows me to sufficiently change my teaching style enough that previous students feel "slighted" by what they missed. I also hope to make the Tweetup scheduled for Monday night.

Good way to keep your conversation on ice.

brendabradford