4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2012 4:45 PM by glen_w

Fires in Colorado

cgardne

Just wanted to share with my friends that Colorado is experiencing many terrible fires.  One in Fort Collins, one in Estes Park, three in the south part of Colorado near Pagosa Springs and Durango, one in Divide,  and one close to where I live.  This fire is known as the Waldo fire.  It has evacuated the parts of west Colorado Springs, entire town of  Manitou Springs, and the small towns that are all up the Ute Pass area (Cascade, Chipeta Park) including parts of Woodland Park on Highway 24.

Just this afternoon, there is now two additional fires reported near the small town of Elbert that is located northeast of Colorado Springs and one north of Woodland Park.

Just needing everyone's thoughts and prayers right now as it is very very scary because of it being so very dry and so very hot.  Colorado Springs had now experienced two days of temperature all time highs in addition to unpredictable winds. It continues to grow. Following picture is close to the Garden of Gods Park.  Highway 24 remains closed.  This highway is a main thoroughfare across the mountains.

closetoGardenOfGods.jpg  fire.jpg

• Re: Fires in Colorado
          sadiasyed

Very Sorry to learn this

Hope and pray to end this calamity soon

glen_w

Carolyn,

Thanks for the updates with pictures. I have a fellow science teacher who includes "wildfires" in her lessons. I'm sure she will be interested in this summer's Colorado situation.  Here in Utah, the dry, hot weather has finally met up with fires. We currently have five large fires burning. Two of these fires lack containment at this point. There have been structures lost, but we are blessed in that no lives have been lost yet.

cgardne

The large fire in Fort Collins is about 45% contained.  The one by Colorado Springs as of 3:30 today is still not contained.  People still evacuated.  I'm not sure about the other fires.  Several of the smaller fires that have been around this area, before this current one were started the fire departments believe by an arsonist.  No a good thing.  In fact, today, there were a small fire started just south of Colorado Springs, near the interstate.  They believe that fire was also started by an arsonist.

As you said, "wildfires" would be a great science lessons or pba lesson.  I'm sure the students would be very engaged in this project-based lesson.

Update......as of 4:30 PM......5% containment

glen_w

A 5% containment does not sound promising to many people. When you consider the size of the fire, 5% is a milestone to be grateful for. The teacher I spoke of was a wildfire fighter before she began teaching. She often finds ways to include fire as nature's monitor in her lessons. I will share with her your ideas on how she could create a project based lesson on wildfires. I'm sure she will have an interest not only in the idea - but also in the concept of arson in the mix.