58 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2012 7:46 PM by mdconley57

Tag, You're It!

mdconley57

bunnyatwork_small (1).jpgThis is a game of social media meets old fashioned telephone meets playground tag. Here’s how to play:

1. Post a reply in which you answer this question: What innovative approach that you’ve never used before would you like to implement for the 2012-2013 school year?
      2. In your reply, use the @ symbol to Mention/tag another member. This can be any member – someone you know, someone new – after you hit the @ key, start typing a name and a menu of choices will open for you.
      3. If you have been tagged, it’s your turn to respond and tag someone else. Don’t be the person to let the chain drop…

Everyone that replies AND gets the person they tag to reply is entered into the drawing, and the prize will be revealed after the official game kickoff tonight. First person here gets to start. Ready, set, go!

Update: Prize for this thread drawing is a Kindle Fire!

Eligibility: Intel® Teach Engage drawings are open only to individuals who are  not residents of Burma (Myanmar), Iran, Libya, North Korea, Sudan,  or Syria (ii) and, (iii) are at   least eighteen (18) years of age or the  age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence at the time of  entry, whichever is greater. Employees of Intel Corporation, American Institutes for   Research (AIR), Clarity Innovations, and any of their parent and affiliate companies as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and  household members of each such employee   are not eligible. The drawings are subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.

• Re: Tag, You're It!
          Bonnie Feather

I will not have a classroom next year, but I look forward to assisting some teachers at my former school to "flip" their classrooms. I anticipate a bit of confusion and possibly some resistance from parents. It will be an interesting experience!

NOw to try a tag...@VanessaJones @vkajones and MrsSmoke @Dypan (just how do you do this, anyway?) will be sources forMae as I embark on this venture...and a lot of other Engage members as well!

~Bonnie

MrsSmoke

Hi bonnie_feather - I haven't done a full flip in my classroom as I don't do much direct instruction.  In a project based learning 8th grade language arts classroom, most of what we do is centered around literature rather than videos that show us new instructions.  What I have done is post YouTube videos on insights behind the literature content being read the next day as background information.  Sort of  - take a virtual field trip into the mind of this author or in this time era - so the students can have references to the new readings.

cgardne

I'm hoping to incorporate more and more resource information for the teachers that I am in contact with.  I am encouraging them to begin using the cell phone as a great educational tool.  I will be working closely with danrmorris, julesfischy and btreacy

JulieSzaj

I am really looking forward to using "visual paragraphing" this year. It is a process where you give directions, step by step. I start off by giving the first direction to the audience (including some kind of visual movement for the kinesthetic learners), break eye contact, then step to the side. I regain eye contact and give the second direction along with another visual. I repeat the process for each step. Afterwards I as the participants to recall the directions with a shoulder partner or ask for the whole group to restate them I tag dougemints and perkinsde! You can both thank me later!

perkinsde

I plan to be more purposeful in using 10/2: Chunk & Chew. That means that for every 10 minute chunk of instruction/input, you pose an open-ended question related to the content, and learners take 2 minutes to "chew" on the information/answer the question through Pairs Share, Shoulder Partner Review, or other structure. Hmmm chaffinc, do you think 6:2 might be even better?!

chaffinc

Yes, perkinsde, I think 6:2 could be even better. The more interactive we keep the learning the more success for our participants. I am planning to focus on sharing the "What, Why and How" of each activity in the coming year. Including these will help participants focus on their learning. I am sure dougemints, and JulieSzaj will be thinking of these ideas in their trainings as well.

dougemints

These are great ideas perkinsde and chaffinc about using a phrase to remember an action when working with coaching and training teachers.  I also am going to use "How did it go, Ho do you know, How did you grow?" next year in almost all of my in-room visits with practicing teachers.  It is an easy way to include a formula of questions that helps teachers reflect on lesson planning and student progress.  I think I learned this structure from higginsb@emints.org or JulieSzaj  (also folks, remember to use the underscore trick when tagging posts with usernames)

JulieSzaj

chaffinc You are correct! I will definitely be thinking about how I can integrate "What, Why and How" along with perkinsde idea of using the 10:2 strategy. I am wondering if dougemints will consider using the Read and Example strategy. I think it might be a good fit when we need partners to read, brainstorm and summarize.

dougemints

I love this idea @Julie Szaj!  I could use this some structure with my "Talking Zones" idea.  I intend to include a zone during presentations where I step to the side and provide "secret, important" stuff and then move back to the front when I am working through the main content.  This motion and zoning will act like a visual "highlighter " which will help participants recall information and increase engagement in a subtle way.  chaffinc, glen_w, susangauthier are all trainers that I think would appreciate this style of delivery:) because they rock with visually connecting to audiences already!

glen_w

dougemints provides a great idea on presenting at the side. I have a suggestion of what might be included during one of these presentations...Flexible Learning Paths:

JulieSzaj

Love the Talking Zones ideas dougemints! What a great way to connect with kinesthetic learners.

This year I plan on nipping some of the side conversation in the bud by using the "Relevancy Challenge" with my side-talkers. I wonder if glen_w, amcmill or amcclung have needed a strategy such as this.

glen_w

I like the idea of "Relevancy challenge." Can you provide more details on how you will implement it JulieSzaj

JulieSzaj

Sure glen_w! The Relevancy Challenge helps a facilitator manage side conversations. It occurs when someone has said something off topic. The facilitator says something like, "_____(person's name), help us to understand how your comment relates to the topic being explored?"

If the topic is unrelated it is ended. If the topic is related, but needs to be tabled for a while, the thought is written down on chart paper or another place of relevance where it can be addressed at a later time.

Does that help?

glen_w

Thanks JulieSzaj for the details. You provided great specifics on how to implement it in a training. As I reflect on my the last Professional Development I facilitated, there was one individual who consistently made off-topic comments. This person demonstrated behaviors that led me to believe even this strategy would not have helped. My suspicion is that it would have resulted in me spending a LOT of time with the district PD coordinator explaining why I "picked on" the trainee. (By the way, the trainee did not complete over 50% of the assigned work and was upset to receive a "no pass" post for the training by the PD coordinator.)

shapiro

I look forward to having my 1st grade students use an iPad to Tweet the news about "What's Happening in Room 303!". I also look forward to working with technology with our 5th grade buddies withpatricia.russell@austinisd.org!

glen_w

I hope to find a way to use Skype in my classroom this year. I'd like to have my Middle School science students collaborate with students thatsusangauthier works with. I think crossing state boundaries and time zones will help both our students recognize they play a part in a bigger world.

cgardne

I love working across the country sharing ideas with tdiener   and scandrew  glen_w and MrsSmoke and of course vkajones

I also want to thank julesfischy and tlmaves  so very much.  You are so grand and such special people.

tdiener

I plan to learn more about Common Core Standards this year and application in NY classrooms. blancaedu

danrmorris

I plan to us all the great ideas from tdiener and blancaedu

blancaedu

I want to learn more about CCSS too, tdiener ! Perhaps you are up for a July trip to Albany with me! Will you be there too mhtcjmgenter ? Maybe it's time for a powwow...

blancaedu

I found a nice write up on how to start aligning curriculum to common core state standards from the Achieve 3000 website. It's worth a look...10 Steps For Migrating Your Curriculum to the Common Core. Download

In some of my trainings we spend time looking at the videos on the Teaching Channel (Teaching Channel: Videos, Lesson Plans and Other Resources for Teachers). They are teacher generated videos that show teaching strategies and practices (including CC) in action. Perhaps we can plan for a December webinar, twitter chat and Digital Buzz show on how CC resources, including how our Intel Elements courses, can help educators enforce good instructional practices, NaomiHarm vkajones MrsSmoke ? Do you have other websites you use to inform your own instructional practice around CC?

NaomiHarm

Sorry- I was tagged a few days back and just catching up with this post- sorry for my delay everyone! What innovative approach that you’ve never used before would you like to implement for the 2012-2013 school year?

The brainstorm of an idea that I would like to fund through a STEM grant with vkajones MrsSmoke blancaedu pkjohn1 tdiener glen_w and many many others from our Intel Family of colleagues would include the incorporation of Intel Studybook tablets https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/intel-learning-series/learning-series-studybook-demo.html with the new PD of the "Inquiry in the Science-based Classroom" course. http://www.intel.com/education/video/inquire/content.htm

I am thinking this could be a national  project as well if we could partner with multiple states and in support and a main focus of K12 girls with STEM in education.  I know this may be a pipe dream- but I just thought it would be such a perfect fit and STEM project.  I heard the Intel Studybooks will be coming in at around $200 or less and the pre-installed software on them is amazing- especially the Adapative Curriculum, Leaning Labs and eReader etc. and the upgrade of the detachable microscope is simple brillant.  This true immersion of all these educational tools, dynamic national Intel educators is what gets me excited for us as teachers and our students in education!

tdiener

Naomi - Count me in for Brainstorming on a STEM project. The Intel StudyBook Tablet looks like an incredible device to use with kids. (I really like the webcam companion - maximized math and science) The product fact sheet says the tablet has been tested in real world 1:1 eLearning environments. Can anyone direct us to more information about those tests?

tdiener

Naomi - Count me in for Brainstorming on a STEM project. The Intel StudyBook Tablet looks like an incredible device to use with kids. (I really like the webcam companion - maximized math and science) The product fact sheet says the tablet has been tested in real world 1:1 eLearning environments. Can anyone direct us to more information about those tests?

The Teaching Channel is dynamite, I too am anxious to learn of additional resources like this

sshott

I teach a university class on adolescence - I wouldn't mind having students Tweet when out and about observing something an adolescent does that relates to what they are learning....I think julesfischy would like to do that too. Hmm, did NaomiHarm ever have her students to that?

JulieSzaj

I have been thinking about having my teachers "sign up" to lead a team-building activity at each training session this year. What do you think about that idea vkajones, bonnie_feather brinest perkinsde dougemints chaffinc?

mdconley57

Update: The prize for this thread drawing is a Kindle Fire! Fine print is below. Also, I'm seeing a lot of repeats in this thread, so let's start tagging some people who haven't been tagged yet.

Eligibility: Intel® Teach Engage drawings are open only to individuals who are  not residents of Burma (Myanmar), Iran, Libya, North Korea, Sudan,  or Syria (ii) and, (iii) are at   least eighteen (18) years of age or the  age of majority in their jurisdiction of residence at the time of  entry, whichever is greater. Employees of Intel Corporation, American Institutes for   Research (AIR), Clarity Innovations, and any of their parent and affiliate companies as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings and children) and  household members of each such employee   are not eligible. The drawings are subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited.

JulieSzaj

Just read this strategy for reflection that I am definitely going to try this year! It is called Dodgeball Review. Here is how it goes:

Purpose

To review the training topic and to generate (and answer) questions.

Time

15 to 40 minutes.

Participants

10 to 30

Flow

Organize two teams. Divide the participants into two teams. Ask the members of each team to come up with a team name.

Write review questions. Give five blank cards to each team member. Ask team members to write a review question (and the answer) on each card. Ask each team to collect the review cards from its members, remove duplicates, and get ready to ask—and answer—questions.

Explain the object of Dodgeball Review. The goal of this game is to eliminate opposing players by getting them “out” by asking a question that stumps them or by correctly answering a question presented by an opposing player.

Start the game. Ask all participants to stand.

Explain how the game is played. Explain these rules in your own words:

• A member of Team A will call on a member of Team B and read a question.
                                                                  • Team B member must answer the question within 20 seconds.
                                                                    • If the answer is correct, Team B member remains standing and Team A member (who asked the question) sits down and is “out”.
                                                                    • If the answer is incorrect, Team B member sits down and is “out” and Team A member (who asked the question) remains standing.
                                                                    • Whichever team did not get “out” will ask next question

Determine the winning team. The first team to eliminate all members of the opposing team wins the game.

Variations

Want to simplify scheduling? Play the game for exactly 10 minutes. The team with the most players standing when time is called is the winner.

Don't want to penalize players for writing easy questions? Change rules so that you can only get “out” by answering a question incorrectly.

Wondering if abuan wichmana5800 sadiasyed might find this useful as well?

glen_w, thanks for the tag!  This year I want to come up with some ways to teach vocabulary, especially for my 8th graders.  I want to try to bring science vocabulary listed in the core often.  Maybe I will have my students fill out those vocab sheets where they write two key words going along with the word, draw a picture to help them remember the word, and then write it in a sentence.  Then I have to make sure to have them pull them out on a regular basis so they study the words.... Another idea I had is to come up with stations where they do different vocab activities at each station.  For example, on the computers they could play word scramble games, then another station they could make vocabulary flashcards, then come up with a few other ideas.  I don't know, but if anyone has some great ideas on helping teach science vocabulary I am all ears!  I really want to make that a stronger part of my classroom

Okay... pbhanney.. your turn!

I Tag@
                                                                        Virginia Roney

Virginia one
                                                                        thought I had about Science vocabulary was to have a station where the students use
                                                                        cell phone spelling.  They would develop
                                                                        a sheet to spell each word using numbers. Then have them develop a game using
                                                                        definitions the numbers that they came up with.
                                                                        I have not worked out all of the details yet,  maybe together we can come up with an extension.

sadiasyed

Well, I am really in a fix to whom should I tag?????

A lot many names are there from whom I have leaned many amazing pedagogical tricks through this community forum.

deafteach

I played with Vlogging (video logging)  last year, but want to have my students make this an intricate part of a daily blog that they keep on the computer.  We will incorporate a written and a video log of what was learned in class.

I also want to incorporate group writing of poetry on the cell phone.  Since I work with students in both high school and middle school, I can take the phone from one place to the other to keep the poetry thread going. Once the students finish writing and editing the poem, they can be published on each student's blog.

dslavenw  what do you think, maybe we could collaborate on the poems.  We could text what we have done and the kids could add their parts then text back.

erroth do you think you could use this method?

Carol - I love the poem idea.  We could text and/or open a class e-mail address that our classes can use to email poems and other activities to each other.

I've also wanted to do some group story writing activities our classes can take turns adding more details and different parts of the story.  Perhaps start a shared stories Wiki that we can use to write stories and keep throughout the year creating a collection of stories that the kids wrote.  tmelomo sandra.valle@austinisd.org maybe you guys would be interested in participating in a group story writing activity?

erroth

Carol,

Although several of my fourth-grade students for the past several years have brought cell phones, we are not ready to use cell phones as a regular instructional tool.

What I do think I could use is the video log idea (it reminds me of Star Trek: Stardate 2357. We are entering Star System Memory Alpha ... and Good Luck Charlie, which I watch with 7-year old). I can see my students keeping a video log of their work, accomplishments, goals, etc. The videos would be brief but regular (perhaps weekly). We could show them as part of parent conferences and have students refer to their log as reminders of what they have done and hints of where they are going.

@Lisa Wenske, what new tech idea do you plan to try out next year with your first graders?

lwenske

Thanks for the tag, Eric!  I do like yours and Carol's ideas and comments about vlogging; videoing is something I don't utilize enough of, I think, especially students' own videoing of explaining, creating, and demonstrating understanding of content.

As for next year, my goal is to find even more new app's that can help foster learning in my first grade classroom (real learning and thinking) for use on our iPads and iPods, and of course, finding new ways to effectively integrate technology throughout the core curriculum.  There's so much, that I haven't tried with my students and digital storytelling (student's own DS's) has been on my list for 2 years now...maybe this year...?

flaubent, do you have any new ideas for what you'd like to try this year?? 

I agree that we may not be ready to use cell phones as an instructional tool in the 4th grade.  However I do think we are ready to use it in 6 - 12 grades....

@Eric Roth, what are your thoughts?

Thanks for the tag, Bonnie!

One thing of many that I'd like to implement next year is enabling some of my music classes to create podcasts of their performances. Also, I would love to upload a video of a performance to YouTube.

Having been a member of this community for only one year has opened my eyes to integrating technology in ways I would not have imagined on my own. Thanks, Intel!

lsrdhunter@msn.com

Next year I plan to continue using a back channel with my classes.  I am just amazed at how much additional learning and aha moments can take place during class time when ideas & questions are shared with the entire class via a back channel.  I project the channel feed onto the wall where everyone can see it.  This seems to keep the posts engaging with lots of constructive discussion.    janet.ritchie@sdhc.k12.fl.us, I know you have a few ideas too. 

mdconley57

Hi Everyone - Thanks very much for all of the enthusiasm and participation! The thread is now closed, and we'll be drawing a winner early this week. We will post the name of the winner in this thread, and if you win you'll receive a follow up message from me via email or community private message.

mdconley57

Winners of all contests are posted here http://engage.intel.com/thread/13451!