27 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2009 3:33 PM by sshott

Effective Implementation

Agnesnathan10

I strongly believe the real success of our program is achieved when our teachers implement the learnings with their students. How can we guide teachers to successfully implement the learnings from the Intel Teach Program in their classrooms?

• Re: Effective Implementation
          glen_w

I started something as a Master Teacher ... I invited participants to email me with good news or to describe activities relating to their Unit Plan. I created email groups of participant teachers and would edit and share the "good news" with the other participants. Often this resulted in a snowball effect - one teacher sparked a discussion among the rest. When I became a Senior Trainer, I attempted to do the same "sharing" activities. I found the results were less successful (probably because the teachers did not know each other as well as participant teachers usually do.) In my opinion, this is the goal behind Intel Teachers Engage.

mkizito

This can be done by encouraging teachers to strive to  infuse atleast an spect of Intel Teach skills in each lesson they teach.

Hi   Agnes

Though there is no phenomena to guage how much a teacher will implement once he/she finishes our training but I follow a very simple approach. During training sessions when we finish a module and come to the end, I ask teachers to reflect and take notes about anything they have found interesting to be used in their classroom. The next day they read their idea of implementing something they found interesting in the module that finished. A simple example is many of my trained teachers love to use KWL which they were not using before for assessment.

Regards

Bushra

sshott

Bushra - encouraging our participants to see what they can use in the classroom immediately and implementing it is a great idea! I know from past trainings this is a great strategy that also allows teachers to come back and share what they tried - and get feedback if something didn't go well or share when things did go well.

How can we guide teachers to successfully implement the learnings from the Intel Teach Program in their classrooms?

Hi,

When I started training, it was big challenge to convince PTs to implement what they have learned within their teaching. They thought it was fun to have this training. I made micro-teaching sessions within the training. one of the teachers implements what he or she learned and we act like Ss. Every time I pick one of them to act this role. on the other hand, I give workshops about the program to the teachers' supervisors so as to make it easy for them to know what to look for when they visit their teachers

regards

glen_w

Mahmoud,

Your post reminded me of my trainings as a Master Teacher. One of my favorite activities was to pair & share. I asked people to volunteer and say something they thought was great in the Unit Plan, or activity that they looked at. As these were shared, I asked who would like to implement that activity, or part of the Unit Plan into their own units or classroom teaching. I found the enthusiasm level increased and teachers seemed happy to have their work shared by a peer.

Hi Nathan, Surely the Intel Teach Program helps the teachers to implement the Technology Aided Learning and Project Based Learning in the Schools of Rural India. After MT Training, we can discuss directly with the Principal of the school through the Master Trainer to implement the TAL & PBL in atleast one topic of the curriculum of any class teached by the MT. The ST can help the MT in preparation of attractive PPT for effective teaching. The MT will showcase the project  in presence of Head of the Institution  and teaching stuff first and thereafter fulfilment of the project with the students.

after reading chandan comments i would like to share as Chandan has also mentioed that involving principals at the right time is very essential for implementation. On final day of training i.e. the showcasing day (i dont know how many people do this but do try) invite all participants schools' heads. Ask the participants to take their schools heads to the machine and share the portfolio with them. This can also be a very good start for implementation. I am also sharing a picture of one of my showcasing event where the principals is keenly looking at a chemistry project......try this out!!

glen_w

Bushra,

At trainings, both for participant teachers as well as master teachers, I have invited principals and district administrators. Rarely have any administrators come to the showcase. I, however, have had much better success inviting administrators into "any day" of the training. I've informed them when we are doing our trainings and ask them to come and see how their teachers are learning to implement technology in ways to benefit students. When these administrators come and see their teachers doing the professional development, they usually ask why, what, and how this will be used in class. Often these leaders then want to know a little more about the process of the training, the Unit Plan, and implementation process. My favorite part with each of these occasions has been the responses from teachers afterwards. Teachers, who had their administrator present, seem more excited to design and implement Teach activities into their lessons. As a side benefit, teachers who did not have an administrator come seem to be more interested in their Unit Plan as well. I am not positive why there is the bonus enthusiasm in this situation. I think these teachers are inspired to create a Unit Plan that their principal and students will enjoy. Positive feedback is a huge benefit (even if it is to someone sitting next to you.) It may be that these administrators also provide feedback that I am unaware of to others (who are not at their school.)

Hi Gardenglen &Bushra! Thank for your response. Here we are also conduct a Principal's Workshop of the Govt. schools at the last day of the Training or separately with showcasing the Portfolios prepared by the MTs. But the PPTs of MTs are not huge gathered with much more and latest information because of they are prepared it very roughly. And the Portfolio isn’t also depending on PBL. Therefore, by following an ideal lesson plan with PBL through the students the MT can implement the TAL. But it is happened that in our region (i.e. NE region of India) the numbers of teachers are lacking than the requirement of a school enrollment. Principals are maintained the classes anyhow by proxy classes. So, they are to motivated repeatedly. The teachers are not got sufficient time to implement PBL & TAL due to extra class load .But through involvement of ST for starting time with the Principal and stuff, I think , it will be help for the teachers to implement the TAL gradually. I am sharing a picture of Principal's Workshop with Inspector of schools........... Pl. find it.

glen_w

Chandan,

I liked the picture you posted of the principal training. I like your program of having a Principal's Workshop at the end of your trainings. Even having a less well prepared PPT can be good as the process is explained to the Principals. It's important that these Principals learn the Teach process. A Principal who has seen an Intel Teach Unit should be able to notice and comment on the implementation in a classroom. Good luck with your future trainings and helping Principals be excited to have their teachers participate in the Teach program.

sshott

Great idea to talk to the principal of the school to help support implementation. I know of a couple places globally that actually run a Leadership Forum for the prinicipals and the vice/assistant principals the day following the last day of the MT training so that those leaders will be able to support the MTs not only in their technology implementation but also to help them implement their trainings.  It seems to be working reallly well as the leaders are very vocal in understanding their role and helping their MTs.

tdiener

Hey guys, this is a great discussion. Thanks for your suggestions. Administrative support for technology integration is absolutely essential for success. I like the idea of inviting administrators to the Unit Plan Showcase. Have any of you taught the Intel Leadership Forum Workshop?

sshott

I have facilitated the Leadership Forum in Argentina and Turkey - and somewhere else - just can't remember at this moment - Oh yes, Trinidad.  I have gotten great feedback as Ministry of Education officials (who have attended all the trainings) and the school leaders themselves see the light bulb come on and truly understand how important their support is.  The Leadership Forum may differ from country to country. India's is very different than the one we use in the U.S., China has taken the U.S. version and made it 2 days long, while Argentina, Turkey, and Russia are using a localized version of the one we use in the U.S.

tdiener

Shell, Thanks for the update about the Leadership Forums. Pretty exciting to have presented the forum in all those places. I'd enjoy hearing more about your experiences.  I have been on a sort of whirl-wind Intel training schedule and hope to get very involved presenting the courses here in New York (through NYIT). I look forward to learning from you.

for real implementation we should:

1. make them independent by our trainings.
                                        2. Take their feed back in written daily.
                                        3. give them oppertunity to showcase his or her work.
                                        4. give them surity to follow-ups regularly as per need of time line.
                                        5. facilitate each & every participant 1 on 1 basis.
                                        6. Create a strong relationship with management for real implementation.
                                        7. invite the focal supervision persons in showcasing & also invite them to see the implementation results in future.

At last pray from God to bless us.

holmesg

Teachers will implement strategies learned from their senior trainers if they are comfortable with the lessons learned and have adminstrative support from the school.  Senior trainers can provide follow by creating a strong support network that can be used by teachers to share successes, provide encouragement, ask questions so that they can continue to grow and progress through their experiences.

In Pakistan there is a lot of diversity between urban, semi urban and rural areas as far as the use of technology is concerned. Therefore we cannot have a single definition of what Effective implementation is.

The sheer diversity can be judged by taking a look the portfolio offerings in Pakistan. We start with the Getting Started Course and the Skills for Success Course but the Thinking with Technology and the Teach Essentials Online Course is are also very popular here.

Thus what is effective for the teachers trained on just Getting Started may not be considered effective for the teachers trained on the Teach Essentials Online.

Working with the Program for about a decade now, I have come to realize that ‘effectiveness’ is an ongoing process , we just cannot expect our teachers to work with students churn out effective portfolios directly after training. They need a lot of on going support from senior trainers who in turn need a lot of support from the Regional and Corporate team.

Principals who attend Leadership Forums and get their teachers   to attend Enhancement Workshops regularly are more likely to have an environment where effective implementation takes place.

I would just like to say here that I am just happy to be a part of Intel Education where so much effort is put in, in ensuring sustainability through a process of ongoing evaluation , support and guidance .This culture of scaling and sustaining at the same time is what brings about effective implementation. The School administration also required a lot of support in generating adequate resources and taking care of infrastructure development etc in order to ensure effective implementation

tdiener

I agree that a single definition of what effective implementation is hard to come by. Every school is so different...different access, resources, time, expertise, and support make that definition a challange. What I do find though, is that after participating in Essenetials and or Thinking, teachers have a vision for what they want to achieve and that builds momentum.

Hi, everyone.

A few days ago, when i was visited at D.N.N.K Girls H.S. School, about TALImplementation I was talked with the Head of the Institution and teachers, during discussion I was put importance of TAL to the teaching learning Process, as our future economy depends on our Schools and students, so it could change the overall outlook of the school and students. The Key objective of this program is to enhance the quality and efficiency of the teaching learning process with ultimate goal of better and incremental student’s performance, and so on,after that Principal and teaching staffs was shown interest to implement TAL at school.  On that day she passes necessary order to all teaching staffs and fix up the date for that program.

Technology Aided Learning has implemented at D.N.N.K Girls H.S. School, on Friday, 15-05-09. Silchar, Assam,in India.

1.Two (2) nos.of MT’s under Intel Teach Program, prepared their Project as per their teaching subject to enhance students learning, to prepare their Project I have given my best support to them also.

2.After that they teach the Environmental Pollution to the students through the technology. During this presentation they have also discussed with the students, about the graphics, animation, sound, video clip which was inserted at presentation

3.At the end of this presentation MT’s have given a task to the group of students to prepare the small presentation, students have shown the keen interest to prepare the project.

4.In this Program Head of the Institution and a few (PTs) teachers were present.

Principal in her speech, she express her gratitude to the entire Intel Team for such kind of innovative program.

5.She told that, now the students can use the computer to prepare the lessons and it makes the subjects interesting, and PBL will help the students to prepare the projects on various subjects. She was very impressed and thax to the (MT’s) teachers also.

The photograph of this program I have attached plz see it.

sshott

Glad to see the Teach teachers implementing via an environmental pollution unit- that is a great topic to integrate technology into. What I think is important is that any school based MT continue to be a role model and support system for the PTs in their building/district. Oh, how so many catch on "in class" but when they are on their own, they forget and flounder. So if there is support in the form of an active MT, who can check up on the PTs then I dare to say we may see more effective implementation back in the schools. Also as important is having support from the school leader who acknowledges and understands the importance of technology integration.

tdiener

Great story! Nice combination using Intel to promote environmental studies. Perhaps you can share some ot the students' work with us.

Hello Agnes,

I think that for the program to be mores successfully, you will probably need a mentor to come in your classroom and have it completed in a Team effort.  You can do parts in segments until you are comfortable with doing the task as solo.    Good Luck!

Lessie Iverson

I believe that one of the most effective strategies for implementation is to provide discussion time for real classroom application during each module. This allows teachers to make the connections to their own classroom environments and think critically about the content. In our Intel Teach workshops, the participants must use a unit from the curriculum that they teach and revise it in light of the elements presented in each module. I also provide follow up support to the teachers offering to sit in or assist with teaching the activities and lessons from their unit plans hoping that it will give them the confidence needed to at least try.

tdiener

Wow, what a luxury to be able to do the "push-in" training to assist the participants with the implementation of their projects. Classroom follow-up (support) is a great way to make training "stick".

sshott

It is often much easier to have teachers use a current unit and revise it as opposed to writing a unit from scratch. I also recommended to my participants to bring a current unit - in fact in the old days, that was part of the initial communication. The more I talk to people, the more I am finding that successful technollogy integration includes a tech specialist that can visit the classroom to either co-teach or give support to the classroom teacher,especially when they are just starting out with using technology - or when they are trying a new technology. This is a strategy that is leading to more success in my opinion. Glad your district has that model Stephanie!

Here is an email I received from a current TWT teacher and my reply. One aspect of our trainings which doesn't get a lot of coverage is what teachers actually do with the tools we put into their hands. More importantly to me from this technology teacher response is the ramification that the VRT can give data to a teacher so that he or she can reinforce, reteach, or otherwise support classroom instruction--like we always knew would happen in the right teachers' hands.

I am so pleased to be able to share this teacher's real classroom success and the door opened by use of the CRT. Kudos to Susan Gauthier for introducing TEACH in Louisiana on a large scale so such real life stories happen as a direct result of what all of us do.

Hi Lee Ann:

I am really not surprised about the issue with the fractions. I can recommend some sites for math manipulatives you can use to reinforce the concept(s): 1   2  3  4   The use of these Web 2.0 tools will be an asset to your students.

I am really excited about your students’ reaction to ClassChatter. Most feel that way when their teacher makes the leap to real instructional technology for writing activities. That environment does make them better writers AND thinkers, especially with frequent use.

Thanks so much for letting me know how this is going. I will share this with some other folks so that they will see your success, yes, but more importantly so that t hey can see the further importance of the VRT and what it can reveal.

See you tomorrow!

David Cox

Instructional Technology Facilitator

Region 6 TLTC

Instructional Resources Media Center

501 Elliot Street

Alexandria, LA 71301

Phone:    318-442-8891

Fax:        318-484-3819

Email:     coxd@rapides.k12.la.us

From: Lee Ann Snyder [mailto:snyderl@rapides.k12.la.us]
                                                              Sent: Friday, October 30, 2009 9:47 AM
                                                              To: David Cox
                                                              Subject: ranking and classchatter

Good Morning!

I just wanted to let you know how the visual ranking tool went.  I did not anticipate that the students would need the background knowledge that they needed.  The ranking tool was used to order fractions from the smallest amount to the largest amount.  They also had to write in the box next to each fraction what the equivalent fraction was that they used to determine the ranking.  Although the students knew about fractions (4th Grade) I found out that they did not understand why and what is really happening when they ‘multiply’ a fraction and what those numbers mean.  The students could tell me how to convert the fraction but did not have a clear representation of what they were doing.  They had no idea why you multiply the numerator and denominator by the same number……I had to use a lot of visuals and terminology to help them through this part.  We barely got to the ranking tool.  I only have them for 1 hour a week, so I probably should have planned a “teach it” session and then done the ranking tool.  They got to start it, but not see how it actually worked comparing their responses to others. 

The ClassChatter was a whole other ballgame.  The kids loved it!  I set it up so they had an email from me telling them what to do.  They read the prompt for their blog response, and then they read my answer to the blog response.  (I kept it simple….they had to evaluate their last library book and recommend it to someone else to read.)  I haven’t ever seen kids write as much as they did about a library book.  It wasn’t the quantity of their response as much as how much thinking they put into it.  They all wanted to do their best because somebody else was going to read it and they would be able to read everyone else’s blog.  They liked that they could communicate instantly with others and get feedback instantly. 

I hope this is not too wordy and you can make heads or tails out of it.  It’s hard to explain in a few sentences!  The bottom line, the kids loved it and were more productive because of it.  

Try to stay dry and I will see you in the morning!

Lee Ann Snyder