5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2014 8:56 PM by mcourtois-horsley

What do you think about the Chrome book?

cgardne

It's been said that the Chromebook is a new, faster computer. It starts in seconds, and offers thousands of apps. It has built-in virus protection, and backs up your stuff in the cloud. It also receives automatic updates.

Has someone already purchased one?  How are you liking it?  Share your thoughts.

• Re: What do you think about the Chrome book?
          NaomiHarm

Hi Carolyn,

Our consulting company purchased a Chromebook over a year ago.  We like the light weight laptop. Yes once you click on the startup button it is ready to go in 5 seconds- similar to an iPad. Please note- you need to have access to WiFi or 3G subscription to take full advantage of this computer. It can save small amounts of info locally but this computer is built for cloud storage.  With the new options of accessing and working on Google Apps offline- this will improve the potential and productivity of this device.

We have many schools in WI that have deployed Chromebooks as a viable 1:1 option for MS and HS students. These districts have also purchased and bundled the 3G service for their students so they have 24/7 access to the cloud and their resources and materials.  This is still not a great option for our rural areas where Internet of 3G/4G access is limited and space.

Here is a web resource of my Google My Way training materials in my shared cloud resource of Box and teacher resources and Chromebook purchasing options for schools Box   I have also attached the PDF for you to share and distribute as well Carolyn to support and assist your research efforts. Here is also a Tech and Learning article of the overview of the Chromebook in the k12 classroom - New Chromebook, Chromebox and updated Chrome OS - look awesome, great for education

Hope this helps!

Naomi Harm

tdiener

Carolyn, Google's putting a lot of energy into promoting K12 chrome books. I've had one for over a year. I know this deveve is on the right track but it's not there yet. As Naomi says, you have to be connected to use it. The apps are not as robust as traditional apps. But is you deploy chrebooks with your google apps for education account you can get a lot of mileage out of them. You can manage use through your control panel. A great feature is if it breaks you simply get a new one all your work and apps are in thecloud. They make you think different.

tdiener

Carolyn, Google's putting a lot of energy into promoting K12 chrome books. I've had one for over a year. I know this deveve is on the right track but it's not there yet. As Naomi says, you have to be connected to use it. The apps are not as robust as traditional apps. But is you deploy chrebooks with your google apps for education account you can get a lot of mileage out of them. You can manage use through your control panel. A great feature is if it breaks you simply get a new one all your work and apps are in thecloud. They make you think different.

glen_w

Carolyn,

I have not tried a Chrome book myself. I, however, know my district purchased several Chrome book sets prior to our state testing. In test preparation the staff discovered a Chrome book was capable of doing all tests provided by our state. I checked later and discovered there were "no problems" with these tools in the testing process. I'm looking forward to trying one out myself.