17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2009 8:59 AM by NaomiHarm

You Tube Cube

NaomiHarm

You Tube Cube  looks like an interesting tool to load 6 videos as one time to present from.  How else could you use this tool MT's or ST's?

• Re: You Tube Cube
          glen_w

Naomi,

I read the YouCube blog post and found it interesting. When I considered YouCube, I became interested in trying to create my own cube. One of my major helps with YouTube videos have been the Common Craft "In Plain English" videos. I created a Common Craft YouCube. My worry about using YouCube very much is related to how many districts, mine included, have blocked YouTube videos. I found the concept of 6 videos interesting - I've not yet created 6 videos I could use of my own for this activity. Guess it is time for me to get going on creating appropriately useful YouTube videos now.

Thanks for giving me yet another challenge! By the way, I twittered my YouCube tonight:)

MrsSmoke

I came across the YouTube Cube in a Diigo email yesterday, and I love that it has a clean appearance.  It's now a great tool to share YouTube videos to students without having all the ads.

NaomiHarm

I believe I will introduce the youtube cube at my Future Technology Conference presentation today, to see what kind of immediate feedback I get from my participants, and have them share examples of how they would use it in their classroom settings.  It is always interesting to listen to others viewpoints, criticisms, and opinions when a new tool is interested. You Tube Cube created by Naomi.

I will share my findings with you when I return from Madison, WI.

Naomi

Gosh I wish I would have had this Friday for a conference presentation. Luv, Luv, Luv it. I could easily see using it for a training. It would be one central place for videos that will be shared. You could use it for a jigsaw activity incorporating digital media. I do agree with Glen that blocking may be an issue. Thanks for sharing...great tool!

Hi

it sounds interesting..I would also like to try it out and introduce to MTs at training. Let me try it first. Any suggestions or tips to new users??

Bushra

Hi

All of you who are using youtube, dont you think that if you use it with students you need to monitor them as it provides a vast range of all types of topics to be easiy accessed and in institutions it might be blocked. Just need an opinion from those using it.

Regards

Bushra

Hi Bushra

I totally agree with you that students with open access to YouTube can be very dangerous in the classroom setting! This is why YouTube is blocked in our schools. I do not work directly with students but our teachers use converters like KickYouTube to pull the videos out of YouTube. The teachers then have the file that they can play at school as a video through Windows Media Player. The students do not have access to the YouTube site - Teachers have the video and it is not blocked - Everyone is Happy!

The only problem that I have had with YouTube in the schools....slow Internet. The video will continually buffer and pause which can be very frustrating when sharing. This is another reason for using a converter - you won't have the problems if it is not streaming.

julesfischy

I think that it is a great idea to think about how to use this in a training. As a senior trainer I would think that it might be helpful to create a cube- that help explain some of the web 2.0 tools to the participants - something that they could use with their participant teachers.  I think that if they have students create videos for a project this might be a nice way to showcase them during a parent night- or share with the parents virtually. I look forward to following this discussion and seeing how this is used during training and in the classroom.

glen_w

I've tried using YouCube by creating a cube at home and then showing the cube at school to fellow teachers. I found that I could not get a single video to show due to district blocking policy. My next test will be to download the entire cube at home and see if I can show it at school - by having the cube in my browser cache. This may be the way to beat the blocking issue:). I've been playing with YouCube and find more I can do with it each time I play. One thing that's impressive is how you can spin and flip the cube (all while videos are playing.) I REALLY hope we can figure out a way for me to get this working in my district as I'd love to use and share it with others.

sshott

So isn't it a shame you have to resort to having to figure out "how else" you can try to make YouCube work. Ahhhhhhh

glen_w

Ahhhh, but the testing is well worth the effort. I was able to bring a YouCube to show at work (had downloaded it at home without school blocking problems.) I showed it multiple times - as it was in my browser cache. YouCube is NOT blocked by the filter, but all YouTube videos are. So, in the spirit of "How can I work around this problem..." I tried using TeacherTube videos for my cube at work. No luck, YouCube ONLY accepts YouTube videos. It's a sad fact, but I'm thinking this is a solution looking for someone willing to share logic and reasoning with district administration people. Give me time is my new mantra! "Cube ON my friends!

Same problem here, Glen...I respect the district's reason for blocking Youtube and many of the other sites, but it IS inconvenient at times. Therefore, knowing things are blocked, I just plan sooner and better. YouCube can't circumvent our filtering either, so it's back to the old drawing board again!

• Site Download
                                  blancaedu

Hi All,

I don't know if any of you have ever tried this tool. It's for Macs (I'm still looking for a PC option) and it allows you to "take an entire site" and download it onto your computer with all the files that it is linked to. I took an entire ning site and placed it on my computer before a presentation (photos, videos and all), just in case the Internet was sloooww. It worked perfectly, even to the detail that it asked me for my username and password to enter the "local site". The name of the MAC program is SiteSucker and the URL is: http://www.sitesucker.us/home.html

This may help some of you who are having problems with filters and wanting to demo a site for teachers...

• Re: Site Download
                                      glen_w

Blanca,

Thanks for the reminder of SiteSucker. I used the program several times in the past. Time to try another way to use YouCube in the classroom despite the blockage. You may have helped come up with a solution! Time to test it out.

Test results are not good. When you create a YouCube, it does not develop its own unique URL. The URL is the same as when you begin using YouCube. I have not found a way to "suck the cube."

I'm sure someone is going to figure this out and we'll be very happy with the results.

blancaedu

Hi Naomi,

I love the concept of this tool and will try and figure out if one can just use images (instead of videos) and have the Cube roll around. I am sure there must be a tool out there that can do a similar function as this one but I've not had time to Google it yet!

For teachers, some ways I would use the cube is in the way you have created videos around a specific topic or Glen's suggestion of putting the CommonCraft videos on it. I might also design the cube to have different types of videos relating to the same subject/topic and have teachers discuss how the information on the videos might differ. How they would try and go about validating the information on each of the videos even though they were posted about the same topic. The visual is what I find most attractive. When you try to spin the cube I feel the same way I do as when I'm flipping through channels upon channels on the tv.

For classes, one way I would use the cube is as a rolling Q&A for students. It seems like a fun "roll the dice and answer a question" short and sweet assessment activity or...as a conversation piece with students, roll the dice to see the video (news, image, other) of the day and have a 10 minute conversation to stimulate young minds in the morning.

I like your 21st Century Motivating Tools Cube very much. You are always full of such fun and creative information! As always, thanks for sharing!

NaomiHarm

I just demonstrated the use of the You Tube Cube in a Green Bay, WI training this past week.  Teachers had an opportunity to make virtual flip video filedtrips, we did some video editing with www.jaycut.com, movie maker and muveemix. Then we uploaded their videos to their teacher created YouTube accounts to create their YouTube URL's and embed codes. In the final stages the teachers created their own unique You Tube Cube to present from to provided content background knowledge for students, a new way to excite and motivate their students in new ways, and provided an opportunity for students to reflect on their learning experiences through a back channel chat as they viewed and listened to teacher provided content and visual display.  This technique worked well and the district does NOT have You Tube blocked.  More and more districts in WI are moving to the this protocol and are providing the appropriate digital citizenship skills to teach students techniques of how to handle content when it is inappropriate.

When the final- final products are done I will showcase the examples that the teachers give me permission to do so.  I think I will be designing also a new online graduate course around this technique as well.  It really empowers the teachers to focus on the content and assessment first before the technology :-)

Naomi