4 Replies Latest reply on May 20, 2009 5:04 AM by NaomiHarm

What does successful technology integation look like?

tdiener

One of the things I like most about the Intel courses is the focus on assessment. Too often we assess all the wrong things when it comes to using technology in the classroom. I would like to hear from other STs about how you introduce this content, and teacher reaction to the assessment modules.

I think you might find these resources useful and informative:

The technology integration matrix  produced by the Florida Center for Instructional Technology http://fcit.usf.edu/matrix/index.html

and

The work of Bernajean Porter http://www.bjpconsulting.com/

• Re: What does successful technology integation look like?
          blancaedu

Hi Tom,

I agree with you that one of my favorite things about the Intel course is the focus on assessment.

The way I like to introduce assessment is for teachers to look at examples given on the Intel® Teach site.

I like to visit the Assessing Student Needs page and then Assessment Plans to view examples. We typically brainstorm types of assessments typically used in their classrooms first and then take a look at the site to see the other different ways we can address and gauge student understanding.

Depending on the course, the Assessing Projects registration spurs quite a bit of discussion too so I like to give that section some extra time as well and will show the section after lunch to get the teachers back on track and excited about the afternoon.

tdiener

Blanca, I just found this resource from one of the links that Dyane Smokorowski provided  . http://icot.iste.org/

ISTE offers an online tool, The Classroom Obervational Tool, that assists administrators evaluate classroom use of technology. I signed up for an account, but need spend some time exploring it.  Have you ever heard of it?It sounds too good to be true, and you know what they say about things that are too good to be true. But, I have to believe, if its being promoted by ISTE, it must have some promise. (Interesting, I just read a posting by Glen in the Engage Discussion area about Adobe Air applications and this is an Adobe Air application. I never heard of Adobe Air before this.)

blancaedu

Tom,

That sounds like a great site! I will take a look and in the meantime I have heard of Adobe Air but have not tried out my devloper skills yet!

In addition, ISTE has a template to document what those effectively technology lessons like too! I will post the link when I have it.

Thanks for sharing!

NaomiHarm

The Classroom Observation tool looks like a valuable resource!  How long has it been out? These are the exact types of assessments we need in place to assist teachers with knowing what is working and what is not working with technology integration, and documenting technology literacy.  There needs to be a tool also created where teachers can reflect as well as colloaborate with others on their tech integration lesson- perhaps online or within a district portal - to share student classroom observations, learn from others and share best practices as a community.  I do not beleive many of these dicussions are taking place.  I have been reading more and more on the Japenence lesson study http://www.glencoe.com/sec/teachingtoday/subject/japanese_lesson_study.phtml

and feel this would be great stratigic tool to assist teachers with effective technology integration and development of 21st Century Skills.

Naomi