3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2012 8:25 AM by Masyada

How do you differentiate in your AP social studies classes?

One of the ongoing issues in social studies curriculum and instruction is how to differentiate in our AP classes while still covering the content enough to pass the exam. How do you address this in your classes?

• Re: How do you differentiate in your AP social studies classes?

Hello Steve,

I teach AP US History and find that this is a challenging issue in the AP classroom. Some people think that teaching AP is easier because the students are generally more prepared. This is not the case because each student is at a different level. As the teacher, you want each student to grow, especially the average student because they could then pass the AP exam.

Here is something that I try called Optional Assignments. If students make below a C on one of my unit exams, then I give them an option to complete 1 out of 3 assignments. These are remedial assignments that encourage them to learn from their mistakes on the test. The students that made A's and B's do not need remediation, so I offer them an option to complete 1 out of 3 different assignments. These are usually extension activities that require analytical thinking about a topic.

This is helpful because it maximizes your time and resources. However, it does take more work from the teacher because you have to design differentiated instruction for the students.

Hope this helps!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: How do you differentiate in your AP social studies classes?

I found great success in having students compete in National History Day.  Are you familiar with the this form of PBL?

1 of 1 people found this helpful