6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2012 11:31 AM by blancaedu

Looking for Video to support content?

blancaedu

youtube2.pngI came across the following blog post called, "35 Sources for Curated Educational Videos" and found many sites I didn't know about!

Here is the article in full: *http://gettingsmart.com/blog/2012/07/35-sources-curated-educational-videos/

Ones I didn't know about include:*

Backpack TV: Backpack.tv pulls from various sources to create a highly curated library of education videos organized by academic subject and detailed topic. Many of the videos are linked to topics from popular textbooks, a real bonus for finding just the right video. Videos can be user-rated.

BrightStorm: BrightStorm currently targets high-school aged students with videos of great teachers presenting the content. Their more than 2500 math and science videos are free.

Cosmo Learning: Designed to work as a free homeschool, Cosmo Learning provides video lectures, documentaries, and more across a range of topics and levels.

Gooru: Just launched in beta, Gooru Learning is a “search engine for learning” that harnesses the power of the web by organizing free, online education resources into searchable collections, accessible from any web or mobile platform. Using machine learning and human judgment, Gooru curates, auto-tags and contextualizes collections of web resources to accommodate personalized learning pathways. Gooru collections are aligned to US Common Core Standards for Math and to California Science Curriculum Standards.

MeFeedia: Now the largest independent video site on the web, this treasure chest is a resource many educators are just beginning to explore for educational applications.

WatchKnowLearn: This site organizes educational videos and for ages 3-18. WatchKnowLearn has indexed over 33,000+ educational videos, placing them into a directory of over 3,000 categories.Teachers can also add their own videos to the site.

My favorite to date is TeachingChannel.org. It is a wonderful site with videos that have been created by teachers (and repackaged and tagged by TC). I use it in my professional development sessions to jump start conversations around teaching strategies and best practices. You can even find videos that show what close reading of text looks like (for example) in a classroom: Thinking Notes: A Strategy to Encourage Close Reading

How will you use these resources to complement your instruction or to support your teaching practice?