2 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2009 3:28 PM by blancaedu

Student Presenter Commandments - Thou shalt...

MrsSmoke

I wonder if we could take some of the TED Presenter Commandments& write our own for kids - what would you include?

• Re: Student Presenter Commandments - Thou shalt...
          glen_w
          1. Thou Shalt Not Simply Trot Out thy Usual Shtick.
          2. Thou Shalt Dream a Great Dream, or Show Forth a Wondrous New Thing, Or Share Something Thou Hast Never Shared Before.
          3. Thou Shalt Reveal thy Curiosity and Thy Passion.
          4. Thou Shalt Tell a Story.
          5. Thou Shalt Freely Comment on the Utterances of Other Speakers for the Sake of Blessed Connection and Exquisite Controversy.
          6. Thou Shalt Not Flaunt thine Ego. Be Thou Vulnerable. Speak of thy Failure as well as thy Success.
          7. Thou Shalt Not Sell from the Stage: Neither thy Company, thy Goods, thy Writings, nor thy Desperate need for Funding; Lest Thou be Cast Aside into Outer Darkness.
          8. Thou Shalt Remember all the while: Laughter is Good.
          9. Thou Shalt Not Read thy Speech.
          10. Thou Shalt Not Steal the Time of Them that Follow Thee."

I would include the following:

1. Thou Shalt Reveal thy Curiosity and Thy Passion. The reason to do this stems from my being a science teacher. I always want students to show what they are curious about. I encourage them to have questions and that it is even better if we do not know the answers to their questions.

2. Thou Shalt Remember all the while: Laughter is Good. I enjoy student presentations best when they smile and laugh during it.

3. Thou Shalt Not Read thy Speech. This is a rule I try to remind students about on a regular basis when they present. The worst situation I've seen happens when the presenter "READS from their presentation screen!" I work to help my students see my example of talking about what is on the screen - but not reading it.

The rest I think are important, but these are my top three rules that I think apply best to students.

• Re: Student Presenter Commandments - Thou shalt...
              blancaedu

Dianne,

What a great idea!

Glen, love the piece about laughter and not reading "thy Speech". What about:

Thou Shalt Be Humble but Confident

Thou Shall Speak Out With Intent

Thou Shall Project with Passion, or not speak at all

Thou Shalt Listen Intently with Respect To Others

Thou Shalt Comment Appropriately and

Thou Shalt Do Onto Others as Thou Shalt Want Done to Thee (this reminds me of something...)