15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2012 3:00 PM by violysantos@hotmail.com

Flipped Classrooms

jorozcopbs@yahoo.com

What are your thoughts regarding Flipped Classrooms? Is it a Fad, or is it the future of education?

Flipped Classroom

Created by Knewton and Column Five Media

• Re: Flipped Classrooms

This is such great information and such a dynamic visual presentation for those who could not attend the session yesterday.  Thanks for this.

The flipped classroom is something that I have found to be very effective in my work as a curriculum support person.  I have benefited from the flipped classroom and am currently working with my team to use this as a means to help deliver professional development.  Use strategically, this can be an awesome experience for educators seeking professional growth opportunities.  We are working on a design that will allow us to use this in our PD sessions both prior to and during some of our up coming PD sessions.  Will let you know how things develop.

jorozcopbs@yahoo.com

Helaine Marshall gives three reasons for Flip classrooms. These reasons are that…

1. Flip classrooms enabled students to learn at their own pace and in their own time frame as they viewed the lessons on video, thereby increasing their comprehension.
              2. It increases the interaction among students and with the instructor as class time was freed for application of course concepts.
              3. It places the responsibility on the student to manage learning, resulting in development of critical thinking

What are your thoughts?

Retrieved at http://sloanconsortium.org/conference/2012/aln/three-reasons-flip-your-blended-classroom

As I tried to start a conversation about this a few weeks back , I am glad teachers are responding to your post.  I would like to find out some tools teachers are using to do this FLIP.  I will be working with teachers in the near future and would like to share others experiences with them.  Anyone out there who has attempted or observed this type of classroom?

Bonnie Feather

Karen, I bet there are several here in the community who have ideas for you. Let's think about what you want to do, and then think about the tools for the job. Have you used Edmodo? It is a secure community for your students to use for collaboration and to turn in assignments. You can upload assignments and put links and documents for them to use in the library. Best of all, it's free!

GIve us some specifics and you will get some suggestions. vkajones and MrsSmoke! Do you two have something to add for Karen?

~Bonnie

What I have observed so far...the teachers are using screencasts to record their lessons and posting them to My Big Campus (a facebook-type of website).  They post their video and questions for the students to work on. I figure My Big Campus is similar to Edmondo but it is not free. 

Teachers can use a flip camera or webcam to record themselves or use a screen cast to record their screen or even use a recording feature on an interactive whiteboard.  Has anyone heard of any other different or exciting ideas to capture lessons?

Bonnie Feather

It sounds like your teachers have a good start! I really like using the recording feature of most interactive whiteboards. That way the lesson can be captured as it unfolds, and afterwards posted online at the class website forabsent students or their families to view. Students who were in class can also use it to "rewind" the lesson and watch it again.

If you have teachers who use a lot if direct instruction or lecture, they can use one of the many "back channeling" applications (many are free) so that students may ask questions and make comments as the instruction unfolds and even affect the pace and clarity of the lesson.

What sorts of work and learning do the students do independently at home, other than reinforcement of what they learned at school? Can they be given responsibility to do that so the reinforcement canhappen at school?

~Bonnie

blancaedu

Karen,

To piggyback off of what Bonnie mentioned, I have used a backchannel in most training sessions in the last year and have found it provides an easy way for teachers (and students) to ask questions and share information during a session. It's much quicker than setting up a discussion forum and less cumbersome than using a tool like wallwisher or corkboard. My favorite backchannel is Todaysmeet.com because it:

• Allows you to download the transcript or share it on Twitter
                                • You set up your room for a day, a week, a month or year
                                • You can also set up a todaysmeet for 2 hours, 8 hours, or 12 hours to capture short moments
                                • It has an easy to remember URL that can be customized
                                • You just type in your name and click Join and then type in your 140 characters and click Say. Super easy!
                                • Oh and it's web based - no downloading of applications

What have others used, which is your favorite and why? I know NaomiHarm knows many!

cgardne

I know that many teachers have recorded their videos and posted on youtube.  However, in many school districts, youtube is still blocked.  We have recommended our teachers to download their videos and then upload them into vimeo.

some of our teachers in Colorado are now recording their lessons within adobe connect and recording that, and then linking to those recordings.

I really think that is a great resource and seems to work quite well.

It seems to me that watching instructional videos outside of class can only be a good thing, regardless of what goes on inside the classroom. I do know that assigning a bunch of homework that many students dread and/or get stuck on isn't very productive. I do think they nature of homework needs to change. For me, the big picture is that whatever the students are expected to do inside or outside of the classroom should be interesting and meaningful.

jorozcopbs@yahoo.com

I do wonder how teacher expectations would influence a Flip Classroom.

Take a look at the following article:

Teachers' Expectations Can Influence How Students Perform : Shots - Health Blog : NPR

staceylazarus

Some other tools to use for recording other than only PowerPoint are:

SMARTBoard recorder if you have a SMARTBoard

Present.me that gives you video presentation along side of your Powerpoint

SlideSpeech is available on mobile devices-add speech to PowerPoint

ScreenChomp for the iPad

Educreations for the iPad

Or using any word document with a text-to-speech add-on!!! iPads are great for this!

Stacey-New York

staceylazarus

There are several great questions asked about flipping. The infographic shows how easy, beneficial and effective it.

Are you considering Flipping your Classroom either for students or for Professional Development Training? For Professional Development courses where there is a "set-up" within a website, flipping it would increase face to face time to then work on the project. I am thinking specifically of the Intel in Education: Thinking With Technology tools within Intel. Setting up accounts and doing an initial "walk through" of the process would be great to do at home.

To help you prepare for this, what type of Professional Development would you personally need? Ideally to accommodate differently learning styles, the instructions should be available in text, audio and video. The easiest tool may be PowerPoint with reader's notes made into a video, or Present.me which is a PowerPoint video combination. SlideSpeech is another good option. It takes time to create an effective lesson where the instructor does not get immediate feedback and there is a learning curve when learning new web tools. Time to learn how to speak without feedback and how to create activating visuals will be needed.

Software? Hardware? Curriculum Training? Already mentioned above. What sections of the lesson can be studied without teacher supervision and what lessons can be reviewed over several days to accommodate those students that do not have computer access outside of the school.

What about first year teachers? Would they need any additional training for flipping? Few states require educational technology training for new teachers, and there are unfortunately many seasoned teachers that also do not know how to integrate technology. All teachers need to first learn how to make their notes available digitally. From there, converting the notes into a presentation version whether manually or automatically advanced.

Where to go? Teachers should be encouraged to have a PLN and digital notes!

Stacey-New York

Bookmarks and websites

ePortfolio

cgardne

As we move further and further into the 21st century, are we allowing our students to work together collaboratively?  Are we allowing them to be creative and think outside the box?  Are we guding them to expand their knowledge to inclue projects that relate to the world around them?

Like it or not, our students are using technology to find answers to questions that they may have.  Do we embrace that?  The concept of the Flipped Classroom would allow that needed time to work together collaboratively at school.  Projects could become cross-curricular. As facilitators, we must encourage our students to use their learning styles and be make sure that we address their learning needs as well.

It's definitely not a fad, it's something that we as teachers and facilitators should embrace and maybe even learn from our students.

Here's a video that all should take time to view.