9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2010 12:51 PM by tdiener

21st Century Classroom Strategies

julesfischy

What strategies help keep you rested and prepared to handle your 21st century classroom? Share your strategies in this month’s discussion.

• Re: 21st Century Classroom Strategies
          Bowerman@cox.net

Their are several strategies that I use to help my 21st century students be successful despite some of our 20th century materials and processes. The first is to remained focused on what is essential for students to know and do. This encompasses using Lifeskills as the cornerstone of how we work with one another. Another is to develop opportunities for student and teacher reflection. My third graders set academic and social goals each week and we talk about what steps we need to take to reach our goals. On Fridays, we then spend time reflecting on our progress, if our goals were appropriate, and what comes next. The third strategy is to create a learning environment that focuses on growing responsible and knowledgeable citizens. I anchor my curriculum to a year-long theme that develops global and historical awareness and provides opportunities for students to demonstrate civic responsibility. Knowing that I'm on the right track helps me to feel rested and prepared for another great school year!

Great strategies, Margaret-

Sometimes we take for granted the power of reflection with our students. The weekly goals your students set each week keeps them aware and involved in their learning and provide a means for them to evaluate what was accomplished. Are parents in any way involved in the goals the students set each week?

abuan

Hi Margaret. Thank you for this great strategies. How do you help ypur students to have a clear goal for the week and  stay focussed on accomplishing the goal

Bowerman@cox.net

Because I teach third grade, I start my students off by writing the weekly goals on the board for them in the "I Can..." format as we begin each subject area. This week, for instance, we have:

• I can tell characteristics of igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary rocks.
                    • I can find the difference between a two digit number and 100.
                    • I can add and subtract two digit numbers.
                    • I can use a dictionary to locate definitions, parts of speech, and pronunciations.
                    • I can write a journal entry that includes details and a personal opinion.

They select two of these to really focus on this week. If the student goes to the gifted or resource room for reading or math, they can choose one of their goals from that list. We also include a behavior goal and brainstorm them on Mondays. Last week many students working on not tipping their chairs!

We look at our goals at the end of each day and talk about what we've learned as part of our end-of-day procedure. On Fridays, students write their reflections and will sometimes say that they didn't meet their goals and are still working on it for the following week. Later in the year I have students identify their goals from the content we are learning. They get very good at telling us what the outcome was at the end of a lesson, which tells me that I'm on track!

vkajones

Often educators assume that students know how to work collaboratively and communicate effectively and most of the time they do not. So we have to teach team how to work in teams, make decisions and then communicate a shared vision. So practice, model and active participation. Also allow/teach students to how to made decisions and be more accountable for their learning.