4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2009 5:21 PM by glen_w

Internet Air Cards

holmesg

My relatives will be traveling to Florida (Ocala area) for three months to vacation.  They are renting a house that does not have internet access and are interested in purchasing an air card that provides quality service in the area.  If there is anyone living in the area who knows of a plan similar to Cricket in North Carolina that allows the user unlimited access without a contract @40 per month, please share that information with me. Cricket provides very limited service outside of North Carolina. Please respond as soon as possible.

• Re: Internet Air Cards

I don't know about the Ocala area in Florida but they may want to consider a "Hotspot"  which is a device that does not have to be in the computer but allows wireless to up to 5 computers at the location.  It runs about the same price as an aircard and may be more reliable.

holmesg

Could you tell me more about the "hot spot" and how it works? Is it dependent on some location?  Is there some device that has to be purchased?

The 'hotspot"  is a wireless device that you can put in your house and five computers will have wireless access.  I have seen it at both Sprint and Verizon.  I know they have a Sprint in Ocala.

glen_w

While I would LOVE to use an Internet Air card, I cannot justify the data price point for me personally. Data plans in my area would run about $40.00/month. Perhaps the costs will lower in the future and I'll reconsider the use of these great devices. I really like how SMALL this device is!

http://www.evdoinfo.com/images/stories/vzw-mifi.jpg