15 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2010 8:39 PM by dougemints

Protocols to use in trainings...

Bonnie Feather

Sometimes in a training, I like to bring in some protocols I have learned through other types of training.  I am hoping all of you might be able to share some you have used in Intel trainings or other trainings.

"Chalk Talk" is one I have used.  When you want learners to have a debriefing and discussion, you put up butcher paper on the wall or sheets from a chart tablet.  Provide learners with markers in a variety of colors.  (one per person.)  Pose a question verbally or have it written on the paper ahead of time.  Learners go to a paper in a group of 2-5.  They must answer the question by writing or drawing on the paper.  NO TALKING IS ALLOWED!  Within the group, learners use connecting lines, underlining, question marks and so on to "discuss" their response to the question posed.  Questions you might use are

• What are the uses you already see for the three thinking tools?
      • How would project-based learning affect student achievement?

Once the groups have completed their "discussion" they walk around the room to see the evidence of other groups' ideas.

I look forward to hearing about other protocols.

• Re: Protocols to use in trainings...

Bonnie,

I have seen this idea used with a slight variation for standard workshops and meetings, But, I really like the idea of not allowing the participants to speak while answering the questions. I will definitely incorporate this in my next LaTEL training.

• Another technique
              Bonnie Feather

While I wouldn't call it a protocol, really, I have recently been using Wallwisher for learners to comment.  I mentioned it in another discussion and quite a few folks had not heard of it yet.  You can make a wall and others may add sticky notes to it.  I think it might be useful in a training for making comments on project plans and I've used it as a "Parking Lot" for participants to post their questions and new understandings.  Then I don't have to remember to bring along my index cards!

I always forget about this technique. This is definitely something I will be using in my Essentials course. I have also thought about having each person write their Essential Question on chart paper and let others go around and comment on them or improve them. This may be more interesting than going around the room and having each person orally offer suggestions. Thanks for reminding me of this.

Hi Everyone, I've seen Chalk Talk used in a course and it's very effective. I'd love to try Wallwisher as an alternative to a Parking Lot. I'm facilitating an Essentials group next week starting Saturday. If the venue has a good internet connection I'd love to try it. Thanks for the suggestions. Engage is a great place to pick up training tips.

JulieSzaj

Bonnie,

I used the "silent chalk talk" during MT training last week. We used with the following reflective question: How can classrooms be structured to support the Habits of Mind? It worked fabulously! When we discussed the process afterwards the teachers were very positive about the experience. One of the participants even used it at another training session with secondary teachers who loved the process as well.  Thanks so much for the idea!

• another protocol
                    Bonnie Feather

It's been a while since I visited this discussion.  Here's another protocol some may find useful in a training:

It's called "Postcards"

Trainer prepares ahead of time several black and white art cards, postcard size.  I use Google Images.

Participants each pick an individual card and, in turn, explain why it represents their work, how it represents their apprehensions about this training, or any other topic, such as CFQs or Project-Based Learning.

This is useful at the beginning of a F2F session, or after a lunch break, or end of a training day.

A variation can be to post 4 cards and have participants all gather at the card which represents their work, or their apprehensions about this training, or any other topic, such as CFQs or Project-Based Learning.  The group at each card then discusses why it represents, then reports back to the whole group.

• Re: another protocol
                        JulieSzaj

I've done this in our eMINTS training as well except I didn't use postcards, I just went around out house and collected a bunch of junk and placed it in a brown bag. The teachers had to blindly pick and object out of the bag and follow the same process you suggested.

Bonnie Feather

That sounds like even more fun!  GREAT idea- thanks for sharing!Do you remember what any of the objects were?

JulieSzaj

It was a bunch of junk that I got from my kids' bedrooms mainly, LOL.  I do remember a couple of things, a tuning fork, an "umbrella" that went with my daughter's teddy bear, a container of silly putty, a shoe lace, a wind up car, a balloon, and a few other things I don't remember.

I've also had the teachers I train in eMINTS draw a picture on one half of a piece of paper of what it feels like to be a student in their classroom. On the other half of the paper they draw what it feels like for them to be the teacher in the room. They share their pictures and discuss their drawings and if it represents what they want for themselves and their students. Afterwards we discuss how they can make the desired image happen in their classroom.  Does that make sense?

dougemints

I am going to try this one (chalk talk) later this week.  I'll post my reflections on how it went!!

• Chalk Talk redux
                                Bonnie Feather

I'll be watching for your "debrief!"

~Bonnie

• Re: Chalk Talk redux
                                    dougemints

We used "Chalk Talk" today at the end of a full day twt training.  People used markers to add their ideas on using twt tools and to reflect on the day's topis.  They each had their own color  of marker and we used those large post it note posters.  After drawing their ideas, the teams then rotated to view the other's posters and added some ideas as they traveled around the room.  No one talked, just a few giggles, and it seemed to be a productive activitity.

Thanks for sharing!