5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 7, 2009 7:41 AM by sandee

Intel Essentials Online - The Oohs and Aahs

I just completed an Intel Essentials Online course.  It was a small group of teachers but I wanted to share a few of the comments in reference to the course.

"When I began this course, I thought it focused on use of technology. Although it was technology rich, this course was grounded in sound instructional research. This is also the best-constructed moodle environment I have ever experienced. (I am a Blackboard fan.)"

"I have had a great eye opener on how to really integrate technology into a classroom.  My students are going to benefit so much.  I have already started creating presentations in advance.  They are excited about all the things we will do.  Much of the teaching will be using the Intel tools.  It was prophetic to take these courses and I will use what I have learned wisely." (Took both Intel Essentials and TwT)

These are great comments that will definitely encourage their peers to take the course!  Please share any comments and feedback that you have received.

• Re: Intel Essentials Online - The Oohs and Aahs

Good for you. Teachers do appreciate professional development that provides them tools to improve student achievement. I had a Master Teacher who has received multiple technology grants. During the TWT course she found it difficult to start with the standards and benchmarks and design the unit from this starting point. By the time she finished the course the light came on and she understands that this is the way to design units and the order components should be built. She shared this mind change with the group and the consensus was they better understand how to build a high quality successful unit of study that will impact student achievement.

glen_w

Joshlyn and Sandy, I think you have both hit a home run with your comments. I also have seen many teachers catch on to the purpose behind Essential Questions and how they drive a Unit. Unfortunately, there are often those who "know better" and try to convince the group why an Essential Question should only be written at the conclusion of the unit. It often takes time to help these people see the benefits of letting the Essential Question drive the unit.

Teachers who put their best efforts into the Essentials Online (or Face to Face) discover the pedagogy behind the course is well grounded and rich. I think that is why I enjoy using these concepts in my own classroom - they benefit students.

Glen, Essential questions can be a challenge for some participants. I always enjoy working with this section in the Modules. When the teachers catch on, they are eager to help others come up with EQs. And then the ball keeps rolling and they want to do more and more. I recently had a group of MTs that really got a handle on EQs and how they support the unit plan.

glen_w

Nan,

When a group of MTs or even PTs catch on to the differences between Essential Questions and Unit Questions it is an "Ahh Hah" moment. It is at this point in time, that there is an understanding of how questions drive the unit. Also, when teachers really comprehend how broad an Essential Question can be they start helping each other see how they can apply the question to a different subject. It is times like these that I get great satisfaction during Intel Teach trainings.

Glen,

I agree that the teachers help each other with their essential questions.  I get excited when I see the collaboration of teachers working on their activities together and planning how they can share this information and lessons with each other.  The teachers want to work on the essential questions because it is a challenge many of times for them and they want to see how many they can come up with that they will be able to use with their lessons.  Once that light bulb goes on, they are excited about essential questions also.