16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2009 9:26 AM by sandee

What is your favorite teacher movie?

MrsSmoke

We all love a great teacher movie, but we're curious to know which titles are your favorites?  For me, it's Dead Poet's Society, but I'm an English teacher, so I'm a bit biased.  What's your favorite?

• Re: What is your favorite teacher movie?
          glen_w

While I am NOT a Math teacher - my favorite movie is "Stand and Deliver." I find inspiration as I watch a teacher believe in his students and their abilities. Since first viewing it, I've tried to have the same confidence, encouragement, and enthusiasm for my students.

Let's keep this going - I'm interested in the thinking of others on this!

My favorite teacher movie is Music of the Heart with Meryl Streep. It is the story of a teacher who goes to an inner-city Harlem school and tries to teach the kids to play the violin. She does this, giving the kids a gift they could never imagine. It is just a very inspiring story to me.

julesfischy

It is too hard to pick just one teacher movie - I like to think that there are scenes in many movies that have lessons that can be learned- not all of these are pure “teacher” movies

• Scent of a Woman – dealing with truth
              • To Sir with Love – first film that I watched to make educational connections
              • For motivating students – Dangerous Minds & Freedom Writers
              • Lean on Me – with Morgan Freeman – a look at the role of a principle in an inner city school- I just loved when he chained the gym – what a great message academics before athletics
              • Mr. Holland’s Opus – what a great story

Of course I too love Dead Poet’s Society and Stand and Deliver

Julia

Thanks for making us think out of the box because when I hear teacher movie then I immediately think of 100% teacher movies. You are right....teachable moments are in other movies too. Thinking of it this way then I would have to say that We are Marshall is my favorite since it brings in the importance of teamwork and community (we all need that in a school/classroom!)

Loved your analyzation of the movies!  I would have to say my favorite would be "Dangerous Minds".  I think it is so important for us as teachers to be able to identify with our students and understand their educational needs based on culture, environment, etc.  This movie is a great example of how a teacher can motivate students but it also motivates teachers that care about reaching the students in all aspects of life!

shanmangin

For something inspirational and touching, I like Dead Poets Society.

For a good laugh, I love School of Rock.   Several kids in that movie remind me of some of my former 4th graders.

julesfischy

Have you heard about the new 5 part series that Forest Whitaker produced?  Is supposedly started this week and is airing on the Sundance Channel - titled Brick City - it is on changes in Newark - from education to police to gangs - it is a real story and I am sure that there are probably going to be some teachable moments.

Bowerman@cox.net

My favorite teacher movie is Summer School (1987). Who wouldn't love the teaser "At Ocean Front High, what do they call a guy who cuts classes, hates homework, and lives for summer vacation – teacher!" Mark Harmon is stuck teaching summer school to a bunch of kids who can't/won't learn. The personal connections he makes is hysterical as well as heartwarming. Two thumbs up!

MrsSmoke

A recent teacher movie that you may not have heard of stars Ryan Reynolds and is called The School of Life.  It's not a great movie, but it does have some great moments in it including an excellent clip for teaching essential questions - YAY!  If you have Netflix, the film is available to stream through their "Watch Instantly" option.

Here's the introduction of the film:

I vote for these three in this order:

1. Dead Poet's Society(I'm also an English teacher)

2. Stand and Deliver(I also taught AP)

3. Lean on Me(no nonsense emphasis on academics)

And for sheer fun--Grease! (not really a teacher flick--but high school)

Anothe movie that I enjoyed watching was "Kindergarten Cop" especially for the elementary level.  Being a high school teacher, I am amazed at all the things a teacher has to do with the little ones.

shanmangin

I forgot about Kindergarten Cop.  I love that movie, and I have the deepest respect for anyone who is a Kindergarten teacher!  I subbed one half day in a Kindergarten room and swore to never do it again.  I experienced the firedrill scene in Kindergarten Cop in real life.  But, I learned that I get along great with older kids -- 10 years and up!  I loved my fourth graders.

My all time favourite is Dead Poets' Society. I have a copy at home and watch it from time to time. Another of my favourites is Billy Elliot - not strictly a teacher movie, unless you count the ballet teacher but such a great message for breaking stereotypes.

sshott

The very first teacher movie that made a huge impact on my was To Sir with Love - I probably watched this movie 100 times. My second favorite was Dead Poet's Society - I thought Robin Williams was magnificent. It was so inspiring - wish I could have been that type of teacher when I was younger.....

blancaedu

My favorite is Good Will Hunting. Professor Lambeau is a Mathematician who recognizes Matt Damon's potential (Matt Damon is the janitor) after Damon solves an as yet unsolved equation in his classroom. After not being able to help Damon recognize his potential, the professor reaches out to his psychologist friend, Robin Williams. While Williams may not play the role of traditional teacher, the movie is a classic in that it involves many people working together to help someone else reach their potential. It's an inspiration in how a teacher is able to unlock the potential in a student.Their determination to not give up on Damon, even if he's tough at times, defines the essence of what teaching is about - to reach out to the uninspired, disconnected learner and pull him back in.