23 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2011 1:33 PM by powerofositive80@yahoo.com

Elements - What Questions Do You Have?

aelmer

Here's a start to a Frequently Asked Questions doc we'll have available on our public site and in the community.

We would greatly appreciate any input you have!

Do you have questions to add? Are any of the answers incomplete or confusing to you?

This will be a living document, so we'll keep it updated as you ask/answer questions. So please keep them coming!

Thank you,

Alison

• Re: Elements - What Questions Do You Have?

Hi

I would like that the following question does not answer my query and should be modified or another question should be added in Elements 

How/when do I report teachers trained?

One of my school with 7 branches and a staff of 200 hundred teachers have signed a license to do Elements. How should i keep track of their performances and ensure that each of the 200 people have completed the elements. whicl files and documents can help me as an ST to gauge their performance as i will not be present there.

Regards

Bushra

aelmer

Thank you Bushra,

I added a question to the FAQs, I hope it's your question but more general - let me know if this doesn't cover it please (and thank you!):

Question: How do Faciliators track participants’ completion and/or monitor quality?

Answer from Anne: Monitoring and approving acceptable course completion is a local decision.

Pretty open-ended, but that goes with the flexibility of the Elements model...

Come on everyone - you must have questions!

Thank you!

Alison

Are there any plans to have a way for a facilitator see what Modules have been completed in the flash based Intel website? The participants in my group are having a hard time keeping track of their progress within the Intel flash based self-paced program. I saw on the FAQ this answer but it doesn't seem to always work for participants. Many times a district will want proof completed activities and if as a trainer I had access to their progress it would be helpful.

Thanks.

The course menu shows modules you have visited and completed. This tracking is stored in a Flash-based cookie that will display completed items in the menu when you return to the course if you access the course from the same computer. If you use a different computer, you will not see your items checked off. The cookie tracking is set to expire after 2 weeks of no access to the course. 

khsemvee

Has there been any improvements on this issue. My participants are unable to track progress. Is is just the cookie issue?

Re: Elements - What Questions Do You Have?

Are there any plans to have a way for a facilitator see what Modules have been completed in the flash based Intel website? The participants in my group are having a hard time keeping track of their progress within the Intel flash based self-paced program. I saw on the FAQ this answer but it doesn't seem to always work for participants. Many times a district will want proof completed activities and if as a trainer I had access to their progress it would be helpful.

Thanks.

The course menu shows modules you have visited and completed. This tracking is stored in a Flash-based cookie that will display completed items in the menu when you return to the course if you access the course from the same computer. If you use a different computer, you will not see your items checked off. The cookie tracking is set to expire after 2 weeks of no access to the course.

tdiener

Alison, This isn't really a question but a big thank-you. I see in the Elements Facilitation web site that there's a "gold disk" version of Assessment in the 21st Century Classoom in the the works! The number one request from both our participants and and facilitators is "can't the eLearning remember where I left off." I understand the new version of the eLearning will have this capability!

aelmer

Thanks Tom, good to hear! Project-Based Approaches will add this as well and Collaboration will launch with it.

But one caveat: it gets tricky (and other experts might jump in here) when you have a shared computer.

If I'm using my computer, when I stop the course and come back, it will pick up where I left off.

But if I'm in a lab (and someone has been in the course), when i launch it, the course will start where that person left off... So i'll still have to navigate manually to where i remember leaving...

But - at least some of the time - tracking will help.

How was the facilitated course you just delivered? (And thanks for the comment)

khsemvee

Hi,

I'm doing a facilitated hybrid for the three elements. Is there a preferred sequence in their presentation? I'm hoping to cover all three in an eight week period with teachers meeting once a week for a four hour face to face session.

Thanks,

MV

What is the recommended delivery format? F2F, online or through a cd?

I have tried self-paced online with teachers in my district but i am facing motivation problems any suggestions!

Bazgha, in New York, we do not do self-paced. We generally do it online with a facilitator that helps keep the conversation going and makes sure everyone stays on track. We use an online environment called Moodle where we post questions about the content where people respond and can make comments about what others have posted. They do the elearning piece on the Intel website and they put their comments in a common area. We also share our Action Plans in Google docs so it can be shared with others and people give feedback through the comment section.

Alison, has there been any thought to putting the viewer on a flash drive for those computer, aka netbooks, that have no drive.  I have run into a problem with this in my training  this week (Essentials MT).  We have several districts from around the state training at a local school, but the host district will not allow us to put anything on their network for a teacher to download to their computers. 

Do you have any suggestions?

Neil

aelmer

Hi Neil, we're hearing this from others as well (your question is about the Viewer - not Elements, just to clarify).

It puts the ST/MT on the spot when they're in a training and find out the participants don't have CD drives, and some systems don't even have USBs, so we need an alternative to both situations. And putting it on the network for download, if it were allowed (the terms of use inside your CD case allow materials to be posted only on a password-protected system for participants),still isn't an ideal solution, because the downloads would take so much time (big files).

I know Anne and the content team are looking into alternatives. They realize it's needed.

For now, Intel isn't providing the course on flash drives, but we know trainers are doing this when they need to.

As Steve would recommend, practice safe sharing (there are free downloads for USB drive antivirus software out there...)

Thanks for sharing the issue, Neil

MrsSmoke

The cooperative learning link references in PBA Module 1 has changed.  The new link is here http://www.kaganonline.com/free_articles/

cgardne

Question for all.

How could you encourage this teacher to again begin grouping students diversely?

Please read her current view.

"Grouping high kids with low kids is not a proven effect on how higher achieving kids will learn. You need to group students of same ability with same abitility. This is where I would disagree with the class. I have taken many GT classes and all that I have taken have stated that you should not group GT or high achieving students with low achieving students. While the lower students will learn from them, the high achievers will not grow in thier learning if grouped with lower level students."

What are your thoughts and suggestions?