16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2013 7:56 PM by holmesg

Celebrate Digital Learning Day 2013 - Your Top Tech Play

mdconley57

WP-41_Intel_WorldAhead_7689.jpg300x100_innovations_1.jpg

In the world of ed tech, Digital Learning Day is like our Super Bowl, right down to its early February date. As part of the festivities, we are running two incentivied discussions in which we want to know how you're celebrating Digital Learning Day 2013. In this first discussion, we want to help you celebrate your accomplishments during the past “season” and share it with others.

DotComMarqueeWin8.jpgOf course, this celebration would not be complete without a trophy, so by replying to this thread you will be entered into a drawing to win a slick new Intel-powered tablet. The drawing will be held at the end of February.

To enter, click Reply below and share this information:

What was your best and most effective technology “play” during the past year? Was it an expert lesson executed with multiple technology-fueled resources like interactive white boards, tablets, or media? Did you engage your students in an innovative assignment that asked them to create something using cutting edge tools? Describe your “play” and why it captures the spirit of Digital Learning Day. Narrative responses are great, but of course we like to see pictures, videos, and presentations too.

bunnyatwork_small (1).jpg Click the Intel Bunnyman image to read the fine print around drawings, eligibility, and participation.

• Re: Celebrate Digital Learning Day 2013 - Your Top Tech Play

I'm still thinking about my top tech play because my usual game plan is slow and steady. I teach fourth grade and, despite the fact that my students are digital natives, many of them are technologically undisciplined and several of them find computers and other technology daunting. My partner teacher and I introduce technology incrementally and in a way that fits the needs of the students. Usually, by the end of the year, the students who put as their goal to improve in their use of technology feel like they can mentor others students.

I'll be back with my top tech play, but I don't think it would make the top 10 highlight list.

lwenske

my top tech play was that during last schoolyear and this schoolyear, i have had my first grade students create digital artifacts, utilizing various web 2.0 and other computer applications, and embed those those items within our class wiki on their own individual pages.  yes, i did have to walk my students through the process of embedding items (like embedding voki-ized math word problems they had written, letters to moms and dads for mother's/father's day with their own audio--read from their own writing, embedding blabberized images with their own audio of themselves reading from research reports, embedding create-a-graph images of the survey data they each collected and wordles of content brainstorms, etc.)...  i had never had first graders attempt their own embedding and linking before, but i've found many students can complete these tasks on their own after being shown once or twice; though, of course, many students need more practice and guidance.  and, of course, students were, then, asked to comment on each other's pages and content.

no, this hasn't been the most perfect exercise, as i still try to find ways to meaningful engage and inspire students and help them actively learn; but, it's been a huge, great experience for my students, many of their families, and myself.

i think this does capture the spirit of DLD in many ways, as first graders are very amazed and impressed with what they can do and learn via technology.  soooo spongelike, eager and creative...quick learners and excited!  it's like nothing i've ever seen before--which is probably why i'm still teaching. 

Top Play huh?  Well, we're working in class to openly use those personal devices that most teachers hate to see.  Instead of having students collect data from experimentation and write a paper or show results in a powerpoint.  We're using their personal devices (I have some for them to borrow if they don't have one) to take pictures, video to then make movies they can share with the class to present their data. It's been a great success and get's better every lab we do.

glen_w

My district's personal device policy is "NO Cell phones or other devices." I, informed my students they may use any personal digital camera (or video device) to document learning in the classroom. My principal happened to be visiting my classroom that period... I was surprised at the end of class when he came up and said "we should have more teachers helping students see ways to use technology effectively." He then complimented me for the idea of using devices in an appropriate way.

How do you students access or share their pictures and videos in the classroom when data is shared with the class?

I have a couple students in my class that are non-verbal and the devices that had were clunky or an erase board and they are now both using tablet devices. It has been a slow and steady progression but it is so awesome when they can communicate so easily with their peers and be part of the class discussion and have a "voice". One of my students has a device with an area to create audio files from home to school and school to home. His sister create an audio clip explaining how her brother can be a "pain" but really "not so bad. I sent a message back about the work we were doing with magnets and she was so amazed at what he could do. This time of communication between the home and family is priceless and so much faster and more effective than writing a long note.

My Top Play this year has been to set up Cyber Cafes in several elementary schools in my district.  (I am an Instructional Technology Coach - I teach teachers).  I hold mini workshops an hour before or after school, bring a light snack, and teach small groups of teachers a variety of technologies to use in their classrooms.  The most popular has been to teach SMART Notebook in the Cyber Cafes.  I share one new activity, and give them time (something they don't usually have) to design a lesson they can use in their classrooms that very day.  It has been a real blessing to listen and watch them become engaged using SMART Notebook.  These Cyber Cafes capture the spirit of Digital Learning Day because teachers are using more technology with confidence to engage their students.  (My next Cyber Cafe is Feb. 6 - Digital Learning Day - I'll take a picture or video and add to this post!)

NaomiHarm

I am so excited to share my "game day" action plan with all of you.  It is called "Mobile Literacy Boot Camp Weekends."

Instead of celebrating just one day of Digital Learning we are going to be celebrating it all year, through multiple activities, multiple locations and multiple team players that will include students, educators, administrators and parents!

MLBC Logo.PNG

What's It All About?

The Mobile Literacy Bootcamp weekends are a new professional development model built on active collaboration and co-facilitation between k-12 educators, student coaches and parents. These Saturday technology action packed events will allow for sharing and networking of teaching and learning best practices, showcasing of digital projects, discussing of inspiring curriculum and content-based ideas, and developing new instructional approaches to support a K-12 mobile teaching and learning environment.

The Saturday workflow will allow for all attendees to rotate through three - 50 minute highly collaborative learning sessions. The content focus of these sessions will address Google Apps for education, transformative uses of mobile learning devices including iPads/Androids/Windows tablets, Web 2.0 literacy and projects, teacher and student peer-coaching, and administrative technology leadership strategies.

These hands-on sessions will be be co-facilitated by Lead Learners and accompanying educators, students, and parents. The sessions will provide new "portals" of learning and networking opportunities, while enhancing ALL attendees personal and professional technology literacy skill sets. Multiple active learning strategies and technology tips and tricks will also be infused throughout our day of learning to ensure active participation from each and every attendee.

Learning Outcomes: The Mobile Literacy Bootcamps will create a sustainable professional development model for k-12 schools to replicate for years to come. Attending educators and students will earn a digital badge to document their level of completion and ranking from these "Mobile Literacy Bootcamp" weekends. Digital badges are earned and awarded based on an attendees active attendance, participation and final reflections. Boot Camp technology dog tags will also be issued upon completion of the sessions activity-  an electronic exit ticket will be given, where all attendees will reflect on their learning through an action step reflection through the Mobile Literacy Bootcamp Google Site.

Location: WI/MN/IAPublic Libraries and/or Public School Districts

Saturday Timeframe and Work Flow of Mobile Literacy Boot Camp Weekends

9:30-10:00AM Arrival, check-in and meet and greet

10:00- 10:50AM Session #1 - Choice of three rotation stations to choose from:

Appy Hour with iPad Apptivites, Google My Way with Chrome Apps and Extensions, Creative Projects with Web 2.0 Tools and Resources

11:00- 11:50AM Session #2: Choice of three rotation stations to choose from:

Appy Hour with iPad Apptivites, Google My Way with Chrome Apps and Extensions, Creative Projects with Web 2.0 Tools and Resources

12:00-12:30PM Healthy Catered Lunch - “Buiding Community through Job Alike Groups” (Grade level sections: ELEM, MS, HS, Students)

12:40PM - 1:30PM Session #3: Choice of three rotation stations to choose from:

1:40PM-2:00 PM Large group closing  “Apptivitiy Smackdown”

Intended Timeline: One Saturday a month starting in January through August 2013

Dates identified: Jan. 26, February 16, March 16, April 27 and May 18

Summer Mobile Literacy Camps will be three day events in June, July and August.  Dates identified:  June 12-13, July 22-24, and August 20-22

Intended audience, estimated numbers: 50 attendees maximum at each Saturday event and up to 150 attendees at each summer event. 

Evidence of success, intended results:

January through August 2013

Monthly collection of data:

• Attendance,
                      • Mobile Literacy Bootcamp Google site with exit ticket reflections outlining action steps
                      • Graduate Credit  Action Plans
                      • Recorded live video events from the Mobile Literacy Bootcamps
                      • Digital Badges Collected
                      • “The Digital Buzz” live radio show broadcasts.

Review Date

2/16/13

3/16/13

4/06/13

4/27/13

5/18/13

6/14/13

7/24/13

8/22/13

My top tech play was my Election project 2012. Students collaborated and came up with a rubric for the project, which I planned according to the problem-based approach. Students researched using a variety of student-friendly search engines. Students collaborated to create Powerpoints and wikis to present to the class on a chosen topic of interest in the 2012 election. After presenting, students participated in a mock debate in class. We also collaborated with other teachers in the district, who had their students comment on the presentations on the wiki. Students learned so much about adding and embedding content, links and using credible websites for research. Everything was real-time as it was during a presidential election- we watched all the debates etc. Students loved the collaboration online! We have since done more projects using our class wiki and blog.

fbobo

Hello

My big digital learning play has been revolving around my middle school science class. We began the year, recording the weather conditions and it's effect of school activities. After a few weeks of collecting and graphing information, we wanted more bang for our time. We decide to take pictures of our weather station(hand made) to compare and contrast the differences in the seasons. We started with digital camera, flip cameras and migrated to our personal hand devices( cell phones) to create and share our observations and videos with the class. I introduced my students to Prezia and Animoto to aid in classroom presentations. We even had a digital learning night at school for students to showcase their presentations. Parent participation left something to be desired but the faculty was in awe by the student presentation. They were more in awe when I told them, I just let the students take the lead on how to use and create with the web 2.0 tools.

Needless to say, I have been tutoring and sharing these tools with the rest of the faculty. I can truly say this has been one of my better teaching years. Watching their young, impressionable minds open up to a new world. We were even able to use the seeing reasoning tool in Intel to aid our research.

I teach teachers so our Digital Learning Day Celebration and definitely our best "Tech Play" was our State's first online conference via Blackboard's Collaborate.

DDLClogo.jpg

We offered 14 sessions across four days - including linking to a national session offered by EDC. We had over 200 teachers participate - which we thought was pretty awesome! It was terrific to see so many teachers take the time to attend when the sessions were offered outside the school day. The sessions were all recorded and you are all invited to visit our site and learn with us!

http://www.dcet.k12.de.us/DDLCOnline/DLDOnlineschedule.shtml

My top tech play involves using QR codes for my High School Biology students daily warmups.  Students pick up their ipads on the way into class ( we have a class set).  I have a QR code up on the projection screen.  They scan and it takes them to a relative, and current, scientific journal article about a topic we are studying.  Students complete a set of questions that are routine and then come up with additional questions of their own.  We turn these Scientific Jouranal summaries in every two weeks.  At the end of the year the students compile their journals into their own work sample of reading and comprehension of scientific writing.  The daily activity takes about 10 minutes.

Resources used.

Create QR code - goo.gl

Publish QR code - Google Presentation - 1 QR code and descriptive title per slide.  This makes the slide accessible for our whole department.  Each of the 5 teachers is responsible for 1 day a week's QR assignment.  Teacher is also responsible for printing QR code and adding it to hanging calendar so students who miss that day can easily make up their assignments.

cloesing

I have been sharing an app called Scribble Press with all the teacher groups I encounter.  Scribble Press allows students and teachers to create ibooks that can be shared to many devices through a URL and go right onto your ibookshelf.  The books can incorporate audio, video, images, and text and are perfect for group or individual projects to document learning.  The power of students reading their own writing about their learning is amazing!

Hi

My 6th grade science class designed submarines but before they could they used the PhET Simulations from  the University of Colorado to understand Density and Buoyancy of an object. These online tools helped students use the formula for the submarines to sink, float and sink.

IMG_0001.JPG

Hi Digital Learning Supporters,

My 6th grade science class designed submarines but before they could they used the PhET Simulations from  the University of Colorado to understand Density and Buoyancy of an object. These online tools helped students use the formula for the submarines to sink, float and sink again. IMG_0006.JPGThis lesson helped students connect Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics. (STEM)

Thanks for the opportunity to share.

Patricia Moriarty

We had our Biology classes use their iPads to give us a digital lab report.  The students had to walk through the steps of a lab report using the Keynote & Numbers app on the iPads to present their findings.  One piece of the report had to be a video conclusions.  The students recorded their findings and put them in their keynote presentations.  Since this is our first year of using iPads we had to figure out how to get the presentations off their iPads so we could grade them without logging into each iPad.  It took some time to figure that out. Needless to say it's been a learning curve to say the least BUT the students did an amazing job with this assessment.  I was surprised how animated some of the students became in their videos! 

holmesg

My top tech plan was to select a curriculum goal and objective and design an authentic lesson to empower students and place them in charge of their learning.  I started by creating a wiki and asking them to create presentations to introduce their city to the world and share points of interests that a tourist should visit if they were to visit the city.  Here is the link to the wiki and the presentations they created. PBL-NC-Collaboration - Craven County