3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2013 10:00 AM by martyc@emints.org

Intel Education Weekly Resource Showcase - Assessing Projects

mdconley57

http://bit.ly/XQ1KYx

When assessment drives instruction, students learn more and become more confident, self-directed learners. Assessing Projects helps teachers create assessments that address 21st century skills and provides strategies to make assessment an integral part of their teaching and help students understand content more deeply, think at higher levels, and become self-directed learners.

From the Assessing Projects space on the Intel Education website, you can:

Check it out and tell us what projects you envision assessing with this tool and what your greatest assessment challenges are with your classes.

• Re: Intel Education Weekly Resource Showcase - Assessing Projects
          erroth

I really want a meaningful, practical collaboration checklist that students can use for self-assessment. I found one in one of the sample assessment plans (see attached file). It is a bit long (12 items); I will pare it down to the five items below:

I accept other’s ideas

I encourage the members of my

group

I offer feedback in a constructive,

friendly way

I listen when someone is talking

I complete all of my work

NaomiHarm

target-1.png

The Assessing Projects portal blended with the Intel Elements Assessment course are my favorite resources because I have at my finger tips multiple assessment types to share and distribute amongst educators.I consider the Assessment resources a pot of gold, because I can instantly use a pre-made assessment that is provided or quickly alter an assessment to best fit my unit of study.

My biggest challenge when working in group activities  - even with educators- is that everyone needs to pull their weight to contribute and collaborate.  I always start with the collaborative group work and peer feedback rubrics to guide the educators that I work with to set a high standard of accountability and given task assignments within each group of educators.  Everyone then identifies a task that they are responsible for and also documents their contribution to the group project. It's a wi- win for everyone and once modeled with educators, they see the importance to model and utilize with their students.

The Assessing Projects portal gives a lot of great examples of collaboration checklists.  I like to have students create their own checklist.  I usually use a what does good collaboration Look Like?  What does it Sound Like?  We review classroom norms and compile our list.  Students take ownership because they made the list.  Each day of the project I ask them which item on the list they want to do really well.  At the end of the session you can ask on a scale of 1 to 10 how was your collaboration?  If it was less than 10 what would they need to do the next day to make it a 10.