31 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2013 8:06 AM by staceylazarus

Intel Teach Live- February 2013-Twitter 101

vkajones

bunnyatwork_small.jpg

Click here to view the webinar archive recording.

Twitter can be used as a great educational resource. Have you ever needed help finding information? Have you used your Twitter PLC to connect and find answers to your educational questions?  Share some of the ways and ideas of using Twitter as an educational resource. Also share ideas on how Twitter can enhance your teaching and learning?  Do you use Twitter as a parent communication tool? What level or you using Twitter?  Share examples and your experiences with using Twitter.

Share your ideas between February 23 and March 19th to be entered into a drawing for a $150.00 Amazon Gift Card that you might want to use towards the purchase of an Eye-Fi Connect Wireless Flash Memory Card that allows you to send your photos and videos straight to your favorite social media sites such as Twitter. You could also purchase a Cannon Powershot Elph 320 HS. 16.1 MP camera which has a built-in Wi-Fi for wireless files sharing through Cannon Image Gateway on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube or other devices.

eyewifi.pngcannon wifi.png

Note: This drawing will only become active when a minimum of 10 participants respond, which means in some cases, the drawing will take place after the above mentioned date. For a complete description and eligibility of Engage community drawings, click on the Intel Bunny Person.

• Re: Intel Teach Live- February 2013-Twitter 101

I have a twitter account, but have not used it much. This post got me motivated to login and check out what I am missing. I clicked on the first three posts which were from NASA; there were links to a cool NASA/Nascar connection,  a great map of the largest platinum mine, and how space exploration affects us in our homes -- so many great resources.  I need to go through and organize who I am following so I am not overwhelmed.

Here is a great article about the educational use of Twitter: Twitter as a Powerful Educational Tool

vkajones

Don't forgot to create a Twitter account if you are new to Twitter BEFORE the webinar!

Vanessa

I have a Twitter account and have used it to promote collaboration. I like to collaborate with other teachers, and on the election project last fall, I reached out to other educators via Twitter to find out if anyone was interested in doing the same project in their class. This way my students are able to connect with other classes around the country and world,  not just in our own district.

I also follow a variety of educational agencies and was able to get some info on Digital Learning Day this past February.

lwenske

i'm sorry that i'll miss the webinar (i have a late, late professional meeting) this evening. 

but, i did use twitter with my first grade class 2 years ago.  at that time, i tried to use it as a communication tool with the class's family.  students were allowed to tweet to our followers a few times a week.  however, as time went on, the excitement around this dwindled a bit.  also, tweets began to decline in content, as students starting typing items like, "today, we went to p.e./today, we went to art."  this was my fault, in that, i didn't utilize the tool as i should have, and, i gave in, to letting students choose what they wanted to tweet and how often---i didn't do the best job with advocating as much as i should. 

as eric points out, using twitter to follow educational entities and organizations can be highly and hugely helpful and advantageous, as ideas and projects can be so publicly shared, motivating and idea inspiring.

however, a few pitfalls:  (a very few amount of) parents that were following us sometimes had inappropriate profile picts/icons, themselves.  also, inappropriate ads/picts/items always popped up (maybe i was missing a way to turn these off?) upon login.  not all parents signed up to follow us (which was why i didn't want to put out too much that was extremely important--i didn't want anyone to miss anything, and i had to send out other info. via my website, newsletter and weekly emails).  plus, like me, if you only receive tweets by signing into twitter, parents may miss out on important updates/items/being in the know.

i like that some teachers connect their blogs to their twitter feeds, but i know for me, sometimes less becomes more--especially, when we are already spread so thin.

also, i have heard of great uses for older students (polling followers, pointing out items to high school students--e.g., letting them know of important curricular connections via t.v./internet items, etc.).

this may be helpful:

twitter4teachers / FrontPage

a wiki that includes twitter ideas for educators via categories of instructional area.

An Educators Guide To Twitter - LiveBinder

an educators guide to twitter, livebinder.

vkajones

Webinar participants had the opportunity to do a live Tweet and share their username. What is your handle so that we can connect to you. Mine is @vkajones and I will be posting to #technoscientists. and #intel#teachersengage.   What about you?

Vanessa

My Twitter handle is @sdsouthwell and my class is @BrainyBunch. I used to check Twitter almost daily and always found lots of useful and very up to date info. It's important to be picky about who you follow. I haven't done much with my personal Twitter account lately because I never seem to have extra time. I do still use Twitter to communicate with parents almost daily. I find it easier and less time consuming than a blog because we do it with the kids as a end of the day reflection time. In past years I have let students use our Twitter account to post, but haven't gotten to that this year. Every year I have students that get so into Twitter they talk their parents into letting them have their own Twitter account. Don't think I would let my child do that, because as Lisa said sometimes you do run across inappropriate material. We have used it as a "teachable moment" the couple of times it happened in class. Lately we've been getting advertisement tweets in our feed from people/companies we don't follow - that's not good. I ran across a kid friendly twitter type site once, but now I can't find it.

I found the webinar very interesting. I don't have a twitter acct., but used my husband's acct. to participate. I didn't know it had such an educational following. I learned a lot of new ideas and "may" get an acct. With all the teacher stuff we all do, it is hard to find enough time to do something else. I know friends and family who do tweet hear the news earlier, get a wide range of views, etc. I am waiting for the webinar to be loaded so I can review it. I have several teacher friends who could not make it that are interested in seeing the webinar.

You all do an awesome job of opening new horizons!

holmesg

At TechForum Atlanta, Friday, March 1, I attended a session presented by Diana Laufenberg.  She talked about how her Social Studies students used twitter to discuss the January 24, 2012 State of the Union by President Obahama.  storify.com/dlaufenberg/sotu12-and-sla

Prior to watching the state of the union, students completed bingo cards with words/phrases they thought they would hear during his speech.  While watching they filled in their bingo cards that were filled in during class and twitted as the President spoke the words.

What a great idea to get students involved in politics and make her social studies lesson authentic.  How could you apply this unique idea to your curriculum?

oulyd@cliu.org

I proudly say that Twitter is one of my richest PLC's! Much of my professional development and resources as an educational technology educator are found using Twitter. I try and carve out time, even 10 minutes, each evening to read my Twitter feed to find new and interesting resources. Something that I have learned over time is that if I favorite a Tweet or Re Tweet something then I have it for future reference. One of my newest discoveries is the integration of Evernote and Twitter. If I add @myen to my Tweet it automatically sends the Tweet to my Evernote account and creates a note for it. This has been fantastic for me because if I see something I don't have time to explore immediately, I can go to my Evernote account and read it later.

I'll soon be working with a group of administrators-Superintendents and Principals-on building their PLN's. Twitter is a focus on day 1 of the training...it will help build the foundation of their online, social, PLN!

mdconley57

The original message has been updated with the link to the archive recording. Enjoy!

holmesg

I use twitter to share resources, strategies and information with my followers.  Here is a unique way that Diana Laufenberg used twitter in the classroom with her Social Studies Students:

She shared the State of the Union twitter project where she had students complete a bingo card of words or phrases they thought President Obama would say during the State of the Union.   During the state of the union address, students checked off phrases and words President Obama said during his speech.   Students could choose to participate in a ‘walled garden’ with Moodle, or wide open with the #sotu #sla conversation on twitter or not at all (digitally).  All students were sent home with a SOTU Bingo Card of their own making and the goal of taking some notes and send out a tweet each time President Obama said the word or phrase on their cards.

staceylazarus

I was addicted to tweetdeck until someone explained that tweets are like listening in at a cocktail party. You come and go through conversations.

Now I post events for Intel and when I am at a conference I will post pictures of what is happening. Once a week I venture back on tweetdeck and check out several tags.

If I am in need of something NOW, I will post and wait to see who can help me out.

Twitter has been so much fun!  I've connected with educators from all over the world.  In 2012, my twin and I gave a conference presentation about Twitter and the neat things we've learned from k12 teachers.  My Twitter handle is:  @3DTwinz.  

I attend a weekly teaching webinar, and the participants share communications via Twitter before, during, and after the webinars.

My latest adventure has been to follow conversations using hash tags for moocs and Adobe InDesign.  #etmchat  #InDesign     The Twitter discussions help to spark my creativity when designing course materials like handouts.

If you're not using Twitter, be sure to give it a try!

Smiling,

~Annette

deafteach

I have used twitter for personal reasons for some time. I keep up with my favorite T.V. series, find out things that are happening in Austin, and keep up with friends.  I have not used it much in the classroom. It really is a good resource, that I just haven't thought of using. If I want to go view some museums, I just log onto Twitter, type in museums, and I have pictures of the cities they are in and what the museum looks like.  Twitter could be used to have students talk to other deaf individuals.  When we are discussing something happening in the world, we could find out real world happenings through twitter.  I will contemplate using twitter in my classroom. 

Hate I missed this one.  I'm not on twitter as much as I would like to be.  I don't really like the format of twitter and trying to figure out who said what... in response to what...sheesh!  LOL  Anyhoo, what I really do like about twitter is that I get great information and updates about educational technology from tweeters like TCEA and ipadsammy (he's local...Eanes) Tammy Worchester (she's fabulous) and others.  I attended TCEA this year and went to the "50 people to follow on twitter" workshop given by @shellyTerrell so a lot of the people I follow I got from that session.  I love all the interesting links about how to use technology in the classroom and share them with the teachers on my campus.  Also as the Campus tech it keeps me up to date on what's happening in the world of Educational Technologies, since I don't do much actual in class trainings with teachers anymore.  :-( Something I LOVED doing.

Our Principal does a great job with out twitter account @Perez_Elem and in the future I'd like to incorporate it along with a website, a facebook page etc....Another TCEA workshop I attendend, showed how one school district (super duper small) used an application called dlVr (deliver) (I think) to post to all three sites (facebook, twitter, website) just once.  Which is great because you don't have to go to twitter to tweet your message, FaceBook to update your status, or your website to post news. I need to go back over my notes and check that one out again. Could be a good summer project.  Anyhoo, looking forward to the next Engage session! :-)  @iTeachTech540

Given its 140 character limit, you could have students use it for concise summaries, short poems, quick responses/comments to issues discussed in class, and giving clues that lead to the answers to a riddle.

OK, have to confess: I'm still a lurker. However, I am following some amazing elementary music teachers who are using LOTS of technology in their classroom. Mostly they use Twitter to keep parents informed about what's going on in music class. I'm still not sold on it, but will keep my options open...

I have not used twitter in the classroom yet.  After reading posts and viewing videos, I can see how it would have many uses in the classroom.  I was thinking this probably would work better in an upper grade?  I can see the benefits of communicating with parents via tweet.  As always I enjoy reading responses from everyone.  Alot of great ideas to engage us to join.  I agree on its use to help hearing impaired.  Might be a good tool for the student who always has little to say when it comes to writing and data entry.

mdconley57

If you attended last night's Intel Teach Live, you probably already know this...we've drawn a winner for this incentivized thread! Congratulations to SonyaBianco! I will be in touch with you to collect some information for delivery of the prize. Thanks to everyone for participating!

blancaedu

I received a message from Shannon asking whether I knew of some guidelines and/or ways that young students could use Twitter. I'm sharing my response to her thinking it may be helpful for some of you all:

Common Sense Media has some great content and videos around using social media. In addition, there are some teachers that I know that tweet about their student's work as a way to let parents know what their kids are doing in school. In addition guidelines and a policy should be in place. For example, only take pictures of students from the back, don't use their first names, etc. Common Sense Media Reviews and Ratings for Family Movies, TV Shows, Websites, Video Games, Books and Music does have a lot of these resources and you can also get some ideas from the K12 Blueprint site as well. Look under AUPs http://www.k12blueprint.com/policy

When you get a chance, look up @LivefromRoom5 https://twitter.com/search?q=livefromroom5&src=typd on Twitter and also search the hashtag #techpasshttps://twitter.com/search/realtime?q=%23techpass&src=typd to see the way the Passaic Public Schools uses Twitter and social media to share information teacher to teacher and teacher to parent.