34 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2010 1:20 PM by sdixon

“The Lonely Tech Gadget” Photo Activity

MrsSmoke

Do you still have a two button mouse without a scroll wheel?  How about a laser disc machine?  Perhaps an original Palm Pilot?  Believe it or not, all of our obsolete technology tools are hoping we would dust them off, put them to good use and this is the perfect opportunity.

We are announcing “The Lonely Tech Gadget” a digital photo activity to give your old technology a new opportunity to shine.  Inspired by “What Stormtroopers do on Their Day Off”, we knew our community members could be just as creative while featuring the lost and lonely tech gadgets still hanging around our schools. Enter your photos for a drawing of a NEW tech gadget for your collection (Flip Video perhaps?).  Simply reply to this post and upload your photo(s) and describe how you used them in their glory days (or perhaps you are still finding uses for them!)

*Winners of the drawing must have a United States mailing address--but all are welcome to participate.

• Re: “The Lonely Tech Gadget” Photo Activity
          NaomiHarm

Whoa hoa the lonely gagdet!  For some odd reason I have a box of these educational tools, but most do not work due to I have used them to death.  But this post came at an instresting time- here is my story.  I was contacted by a Wisconsin administrator about three weeks ago about teacher walkthroughs. This admin has been doing teacher walk throughs for over 7 years- how do I know this- I trained hm on his first Palm 515 with the Administrator Observer software solution for PC's and Macs at the time.  Please note this software company is still up and running by the way!

Well the story goes on, this Admin dropped his Palm 515 and now the face of the Palm is cracked and will not work.  He is distraught, he is desperate, and he can not live without his Palm pilot as an organizer and as a tool to observe educators in the clasroom.  Soooooooo I dug through my box of gadgets looking for any type of Palm device- and yes of course-there they were- in the back of the closet, but neatly tucked away.  I found not only one- but two- a Palm 505 Palm 515's.  If you would like to know about more of every Palm model created CLICK HERE!  I earned one of the Palm's when I went through the Palm certification training and the other I won at a tech academy the following year.  By gum by golly I thought- why on earth would I have kept these tools all of this time?  I contacted the administrator immediatly- he was thrilled to death.And now since this time I have sent both of them to him- free of charge and he is a very happy man.

I do not have the Palm's pictured in my home environment but I do have Palm photos I have used in past workshops for marketing purposes on fyers, so here ya go!

palm_m500.jpgpalm500.jpg

• “The Lonely Tech Gadget” Photo Activity
            Bonnie Feather

Whell!  This sounds like a fun challenge!  My office was the lucky recipient of new carpeting (after 22 years...) a few weeks ago.  We had lots of fun going through the closet and cupboards and finding dusty old lonely things.  I only wish I had a few back just for this activity.  And, not too long ago, I sold an old "language master" at a garage sale.  anyone remember what that was?

I am dusting out the closet some more today at home, and asking at a couple of schools, but I KNOW I have an old zip drive at work in my desk, and I can't wait to add my photos and see those of others!

This is going to be fun!  Come on, you KNOW you want to play!

~Bonnie

I'm interested in this conversation. One of my first "extra" tasks when I started working at my present school was to clear out a storeroom filled with "stuff". They had some of those old slide projectors where you loaded the individual slides into a big "wheel" and then loaded it into the projector. There was also an 8mm projector, record players and numerous tape recorders that no longer worked. Ah, the days before iPods and data projectors. :-) At this same school the computer lab where I was based had 17 computers with 4Gig HD, 32MB of RAM running Windows 98. And that was at the beginning of 2006! Happily for me the principal did an upgrade in 2007 and in 2008 we were connected to the Internet and we now have our first data projector. The old computers are still in service in various classrooms and the kids still get pleasure out of playing old dos based games on them such as Word Rescue.

About 10 years ago I had a grade 4 class. They discovered an old portable typewriter in my storeroom and it became the most popular toy in the room. The kids loved it and rushed through their work to get their turn to "type". I couldn't imagine what the attraction was but it remained in constant service until the ribbon was completely dry and no longer printed. When the learners in my present school see a photo of a typewriter they can't imagine what it is for.....

So much progress in such a short time.

Bonnie Feather

Cleaning out the closet seems to be the theme in this thread!  I find it interesting that you describe it as a "toy."  Many of us can remember playing with old equipment. 

And you bring in a new thought to the topic...

How can we show teachers and students how to use other tools (read/write web tools come to mind) to do what we used to do with the older technologies?

Perhaps if we think of it in this new way we can find new tools to assist our students to do what is "fun" and also "necessary" or helpful in collaborating or using other 21st century skills.

Thoughts?

Bonnie Feather

Cleaning out the closet seems to be the theme in this thread!  I find it interesting that you describe it as a "toy."  Many of us can remember playing with old equipment.

And you bring in a new thought to the topic...

How can we show teachers and students how to use other tools (read/write web tools come to mind) to do what we used to do with the older technologies?

Perhaps if we think of it in this new way we can find new tools to assist our students to do what is "fun" and also "necessary" or helpful in collaborating or using other 21st century skills.

Thoughts?

sshott

Ha! I remember taking typing in 8th grade - on those really old machines - not even electric...................but I am a master typer to this day!!!!!!!!!! My own kids are clueless about what a typewriter is...............

julesfischy

What can be lonelier than all the cords and wires from previous gadgets??  Okay there are a few things that I am still using but I have acquired so many that I know I have a few from tech gadgets that are no longer used.

Aren't they sad sitting in a heap on my desk - they have expanded from the container that they once fit in.

wires.jpg

shanmangin

Before it was possible to take digital photos and videos, all of your school assignments could fit neatly onto a 3 1/2 inch floppy disk.  Not only were they much sturdier than the 5 inch floppy disks, they also came in classic black or rainbow colors.
                        PB230006.JPG

If your school still has boxes of these storage devices still around, you can still use them!

They are great for castle-building, for those moments when you are bored at the desk.

PB230002.JPG

And, they make excellent drink coasters.

PB230005.JPG

That's how I use my 3 1/2 inch floppies at work

tlmaves

Winner, winner, chicken dinner...Shannon Baumann is our monthly winner for a Flip HD Camera! Another drawing for this thread will be conducted at the end of January 2010. All you have to do to enter your name in the drawing is submit a pic with your re-purposed old tech gadget.

• Slide rules rule

Slide rules rule.jpg

Even in the hands of someone who really knew how to use one, these babies were slow and inaccurate. However, the effects of Moore's Law have reduced the size of slide rules to the current handheld versions.

glen_w

You've gotta sing along with the words - remember Sesame Street and you'll do well with this one.

Things3.jpg

"One of these things is Not Like the Others ... One of these things Just Doesn't Get Played!"

NaomiHarm

I finished a WI training just prior Xmas and this was the projector that was set up for my use in the school I was training in- it weighed 46 lbs.  And no- it did not work with my Mac or a Windows PC 98 OS or newer- it tried to generate an image- but all we could view was a blue haze:-(  An educator had to go home and pick up her personal LCD projector from her husband so we could have a successful training.

12141042b.jpg