13 Replies Latest reply on Apr 1, 2010 7:25 AM by mhtcjmgenter

Introducing Web 2.0 to teachers

abuan

Conducted v10.1 training to teachers. Although Web 2.0 tools is integrated in v10.1 modules, found out that it is important to teach on  HOW TOs on creating blogs, wikis, online survey poll and online sharing of documents. It took us almost a day on introducing these tools to teachers with step by step procedure. Kindly share your best practices on introducing web 2.0 to teachers please.

• Re: Introducing Web 2.0 to teachers

Dear Amelia

I second that. It is not easy to introduce all blogs, wikis, bookmarking site, collaborative site and assessment procedures in Essentials V10.1. I would also love to see some best known methods to help STs in training. In my first pilot batch i started with Collaborative site and encouraged teachers to upload their publication about project on the docs.google.com for collaboration. I did that on the first day. The second day when we finished module 1, I introduced blogs but my teachers did not use it as often as they liked the collaborative site. I introduced wiki when we started module 3 pedagogical session. I felt that even if teachers have basic computer skills sill they need to get familiar and friendlier with Web 2.0. To be very open, my MTs loved using docs.google.com because they wanted to upload their work there as an easy way to save and download their work. It was very rare or on my reminding them that they used blogs or wikis.

I would love to hear how STs manage web 2.0 in Essentials V10.1 training.

Regards

Bushra

I am Akbar Ali, a trainee teacher of essentials in Lahore. I would like to add some more comments as mentioned in Bushra's Message: Being trainer she did her best level to diversify our attention to utilize the web resources to teach and learn, but apart from all her efforts some of us are still facing to upload our wikis. So I can say that her efforts can considered as first drop of rain to the thirst and low resources community.

• Welcome!
                  Bonnie Feather

I am glad to see you here in the Engage community!  Just as Bushra may be the "first drop of rain" you will be able to inspire other teachers as you add to her drops.  It is my hope that you and your colleagues will become a flowing stream in your area to quench the thirst for knowledge in others.

I hope you continue to work in the community- you will find much information here for yourself, and you will be able to encourage others to join in the community as well.

I work with 15 districts in my region and when I teach Web 2.0 tools, I usually contact their technology coordinators.  Many of the blogs, wikis, and other communication tools are blocked in the school systems.  However, each district has seemed to adopt one wiki or blog site for the teachers to use within their schools.  I then bring in an activity for the teachers to use this particular Web 2.0 tool and have them create one for their classes.  This gives them the understanding and experience as to how these tools can be effective in the classroom without being overwhelmed with a variety of sites that they can choose.

It can be overwhelming for teachers, especially that are new to some of these technologies. We try to introduce them in a logical place in the training so it doesn't feel forced. Initially we will introduce social bookmarking because we take them to a few different sites and they can put their websites in as we work and they see the value of doing it that way. Participants often will share how their school uses social bookmarking. We use google docs for the activity that looks at CFQ's and I will put it in a google doc and have it connected to a projector so participants will quickly see who is responding to what and then review it together as a group and make changes as necessary so they have it to refer to in the future without having to find their book. We use the wiki to put up our Unit Plans and have people add comments in the discussion portion.

I also try to have districts tell me what they would like me to use so that teachers can get access to it at other times. One group I am working with is using Moodle and another group had a website that had a wiki built into it that they used.

The more you can continue to refer to it during the training the better so they can really see the purpose of the tool. Too often they just want to use the tool instead really looking at the purpose and see what tool will meet the needs the best.

Bonnie Feather

Much of my job involves introducing strategies for integrating technology into instructional methods for teachers.  In the Essentials course, I often have a wide range of knowledge in the participants.  Some are still teaching in the older "sage on the stage" method, and others are fully accustomed to facilitating learning in a more student-directed environment.

To get teachers interested in using some web 2.0 tools, I find it is helpful to use them myself in class.  Lately I have been keeping all of my handouts on a wiki.  Teachers go to the wiki and see how it can be useful as a storehouse of course information.  This gets them ready to start using a wiki for their own classes.

I also start most classes with a "wall" I create for the course on wallwisher.  Participants go to the wallwisher site and  post their comments and questions.  They always see immediate uses for wallwisher in their classes and are then eager to learn more about web 2.0 tools.  If you would like to try out a wall I have created, go here.

You may wish to check on some other web 2.0 tools we have been discussing here in the Engage community. We have had several discussions, which you will find by clicking on the previous link, but of particular interest, you might check out this discussion.

I have re-read your initial post and request.  I see that I answered it with information which does not really address your question.

You might try having your learners login and look at a wiki and blog you have created before the actual training begins.  That way they might see how they are different and how they might be useful prior to the beginning of the training.

lcsheehy

Like Bonnie, I also train teachers in instructional technology in the classroom. My experience is that if you try to teach all the tools at once, teachers are overwhelmed. Invariably there is a variety of tech ability in the class. I try to introduce Web 2.0 tools for specific purposes. For instance, to enable teachers to not have to worry about multiple versions of their Unit Plan on multiple computers, we use Google Docs, especially if they are working in teams. Also, I use Google Spreadsheets for the Curriculum Framing Questions activities. Teachers then have it stored and can use it as a reference. I find the idea of blogging overwhelms many teachers, so I have used a wiki for materials and product posting and used the Discussions tab for blogging. Click here to see how I used it with my Thinking with Technology class. I love Bonnie's idea of using WallWisher for thoughts and questions. Another great tool is Wiffiti. The helpful feature for Wiffiti is those teachers who are proficient in texting can use their cell phones to comment.

shanmangin

In the Essentials course, I tell the participants up front that they will NOT have time to become an expert at using each Web 2.0 tool, but rather the goal is that they will learn how the tools could potentially be used in the classroom.  I assure them that they'll have some time to experience using wikis, blogs, & collaborative docs during certain activities - but we won't cover them in detail.  Some participants have asked me for a training manual on how to use a particular website, like wikispaces, or weebly.  But, I just show them the basic features that are common in these sites and tell them the best way to learn is by playing around with it. Since sites change all the time and new ones develop, it's hard to have a step-by-step training guide for such online tools.

I ask participants to pick out at least one Web 2.0 tool that they would really like to learn more about and incorporate it into their unit plan.  As they create their student sample, they'll have time to practice using it and feel comfortable with its features.  The other tools they can practice later in the year as they have the opportunity.  I find that this helps reduce the frustration level amongst participants and they feel more confident in completing the coursework.

http://www.ted.com/talks/pattie_maes_demos_the_sixth_sense.html

I saw this video and shared it with some of my students. Are we ready for this? It is going a bit beyond web 2.0 but definitely the future. Some things are great and some are a little scary. This is a device that gives detailed information and like a sixth sense.