9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2014 9:47 PM by lwenske

Student Technology Use at Home

lwenske

How do you think your students use technology at home?

Do you think they spend most of their time on Social Media, watching YouTube videos, uploading YouTube items (ones that they create--more mash-upped or animated, or ones that they video/film?), using apps on iItems to play games (or to learn?), on learning websites, toy related websites, gaming sites...?  I know self report is not always the most effective way to gain information, but what do students report doing at home?

I teach first grade (at a school, where families enjoy higher income levels), and from a class discussion, the majority of my students report using computers, iPhones, iTouches, and iPads at home or away from school.  They mostly stated that they spend most of their technology time on gaming sites and game apps (as opposed to more learning apps and sites---we differentiate b/w these in class; though, of course, there is always learning while gaming...we just have to make the distrinction b/c of school/class requirements).  This was a very informal, self-report type survey, but it was an interesting discussion.  (Many almost seemed embarassed to admit to me what they "really" do.  I let them know, that they are allowed to enjoy themselves at home, and that they don't have to be only doing academic based learning, all the time.  Too cute!)

Thanks,

lisa

• Re: Student Technology Use at Home
          erroth

From first hand experience and observation, I believe most elementary-aged kids play video games and game apps and watch YouTube videos, and most teenage kids play video games, use social media such as FaceBook, and text. I do know kids who use educational websites at home, try their hands at programming, and research topics of interest. Perhaps this would make a good science fair project.

I would like to note that gaming/youtube/social media have academic benefits and not all educational websites do.

lwenske

thanks, eric, i appreciate your first-hand knowledge!  this is an area, i'm lacking, with no children, actually, living in my household.  kuddos to you for being able to juggle both, so successfully!

i agree that gaming sites and app's can often be more learning oriented, than educational sites.  i was just trying to somewhat differentiate between the options out there.  i, definitely, don't mean to imply there is no educational value in gaming app's or sites--much to the contrary.

still, i do feel the pressure within my own classroom, to make sure nothing looks to gamey, as administrators, sometimes, may not understand....sometimes...  with good reason, i think teachers can use a whole array of tools to promote learning. 

and, too, i also agree, this would be a great science fair project.

thanks for responding! 

Although I have tried to wing them over to some educational sites, and have encouraged them to go to my blog, they inevitably go home to play games.

I teach third grade, and my teacher blog has encouraged them to go to games that are educational, some of which I assign as homework assignments so that I know they are practicing basic facts, or reviewing videos that I have posted. During the end of the year I encourage the students to practice some online assessments in gearing up for the end-of-year tests. But the end result is only about 20-35% even attempt the assignments. Until I know there is 100% participation and parent support . . . more frequently I hear reports (like your discussion) of how they play video or computer games. And their role models - their parents are allowing them to play facebook games, and play on their phones. 

Last year I had one student that went a step further, when I introduced a program (google sketch-up), he went home and tried it out developing his own model.

There is a reason for the multi-billion dollar industry found in gaming . . . it sells and I can't compete, but I have found ways to compensate.

Nasiraa

As ST i have had the experience of different disciplines teachers coming for trainings, it was during one such session that i had the request from geography teachers  asking how technology could facilitate them more, so i searched and found Google earth, when i introduced it to them they also benifitted from this and have been giving Home work to their students to develop street views and city maps. during a visit to the school the geography area bulletin board showed a lot of contributions from students.

SyedaKhadija

Nice, Nasira, could be really interesting using Google Earth in Geography and utilizing as many resources as possible. BUT, I wonder while exploring, in the meantime, do they ever go to Google Play or not?

lwenske

nasiraa, thanks for the suggestion!  google earth is SO wonderful, and there have been several literacy items related to google earth being utilized in classrooms with students telling narrative or histories, etc. by tagging places on google earth and explaining what happened in each area to somewhat tell digital stories or recount history.  i also know a colleague who's used google earth to document some family history (by tagging/uploading some audio from older family members, linked to different geographical locations, which is awesome).

and, khadija, i'll have to investigate google play, myself, as i'm not families with it.  it's great that there are always distractors, right!?

thank you, both, for responding!

lwenske

ronald, thanks for explaining how you feel students use technology at home.  i like your idea of assigning items for homework, as that is a great way to increase tech. use and experience.  plus, it's nice to be able to track assignments and progress online.  i agree that gaming is the winner in what students choose to do, and i understand.  i, definitely, am not against students being able to choose gaming or spend time gaming--i was just wondering what people thought students actually spent time doing at home.

and, it is truly inspiring, when students take on items (the google sketch up model example that you explained) that you tell/teach them about...very cool!! 

I am sure that most of my students are on gaming sites, youtube, or social media after school hours.  We have a problem with them "wandering" that direction instead of where they need to be when they are in class and working on something using the computer.  I teach LA and while I know that you can download free kindle apps for the computers and other devices, I will not allow the students to use the computers during Kick Back and Read time.  This is because they quickly leave the book behind and move on to a game or they will watch a movie on youtube.  I even had one student who brought in a DVD to watch during school and was mad that I took it away from him.  If they can't stay on the sites they need to for class during class with a teacher supervising them, then there is no way that they are using the sites after hours.

lwenske

Thank you all for responding.  I still wonder about this topic and wonder if time spent on particular types of sites (e.g., social media vs. educational, etc.) has changed over the last year.  Interesting stuff...